Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

my So Cal tiki-ish vacation

Pages: 1 11 replies

We went to So Cal for a week, and made time to see Tiki! We went to Benson's Imports in Huntington Beach (but didnt buy anything) then headed to Oceanic Arts (oh cripes, there i bought stuff!)

i was too overwhelmed with the wonderfulness of OA to take many pictures. we were greeted upon entry, by Suzie who thought she knew us. but this was our first visit, we assured her. i told her we were Tiki Central Members. "ahh" just about then, someone piped up "I'm on Tiki Central too" ~ it was TikiJunkMan! small world!

Suzie figured out where she "knew" me from ~ a picture posted in the Tiki's Bar and Grill in Honolulu! they had shipped masks to the restaurant, but hadn't seen them installed! They downloaded a picture for their scrapbook! She told us she'd try to "drag Leroy out" (she wasn't successful) ~ but Bob popped up every now and then to gave us a history lesson of items in the cabinets.

Suzie and Bob

Todd and me and my new carved paddle

TikiJunkman at OA

Back onto the freeway, and over to Hollywood, TikiTi didn't open till 6, so we went to the Goodwill (got 4 hawaiian shirts) and to Wacko to shop. Perhaps it was our attire, or my glazed look among all those tiki mugs ~ but we were again approached by Tiki Central members!

Sirginn and MeanGene at Wacko

We decide to head to Bahooka's ~ back onto the freeways ~ an hour of stop-n-go later we arrive! and promptly order WAY too much food. has anyone warned us how big the portions are? we foolishly ordered an appitizer.
Todd

my Flaming Drink

Fried Zuchinni and Onion rings and Dinner

but theres always room for Jello, especially when its complimentary and squirted with whipped cream!

Mr Tiki in San Diego ~ great decor, fantastic food, awesome staff! i should have taken more pictures, but we were with our best friends from high school, and we were just having too much fun! our waitress was a blast! (and let me purchase a menu! and brought me bonus cocktail napkins and drink monkeys, elephants, mermaids and a donkey! .. then she offered chairs, tables and other furnishings! ~ and if i had room in my carry-on bag, we just might have taken her up on that offer!

our incredibly cool waitress, Brittany ~ pouring our Martiki

drinking that Martiki

elicia

Hey dogbytes!
looks like you had a good time! You hit many cool places...makes me wanna go to the Bahooka and OA. Thanks for the pictures....and aint suzie from OA a sweetie? I swear, she's one of the nicest people around...hell, they're all super nice there! THat's it! I'm going to OA!

I was so bummed to hear from Mean Gene that I'd just missed you... I got to Tiki Ti not long after you'd left for Bahooka. Harrumph! I'm so glad you had a good time during your visit, though.

humuhumu.. we wanted SO much for there to be a Rift in Space-Time Continuum so we could have made Tiki Ti open 90 minutes earlier! (or a transporter would have sufficed too) but we were sorta starving and knew the drive to Rosemead would be LONG.. (but worth it!)

we'll catch up to each other soon, im sure of that!

elicia

Wow Dogbytes!
Great trip, great pictures, great post!

Thanks, it's always good to see TCers having a fantastic Tiki Time!

"our incredibly cool waitress, Brittany ~ pouring our Martiki"

I wouldn't Share that drink...:wink:

It is so sad to see people suffer so much.

Great photos...How good? I'm calculating my accrued sick time just now.

Thanks for sharing the fun trip!

Jeez, thanks for stopping by Bong's Hut.

(what's up wif kid's these days?)

D

geez bong ~ we didnt want you to ditch clsses on account of us! that would look aweful on your permanent record!

ok, we're adding BongHouse to our "must do next time in HB"

M

What happened to the hoity hospitality??

hey dogbytes,

Great again seeing you at OA. My tiki trip was also a blast. I have tons of pics and video of all the places I saw and people I met. I will be posting the highlights soon. You are right, Suzie and Bob were so nice at OA. Next time we meet there, I will have to outbuy you!

tiki junkman

Great pictures. I always thought that Bahookas has some pretty lousy food (in my other life, I'm a real food snob), but in those pictures it actually looks GOOD!!

Pages: 1 11 replies