Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

TV's premixed mai tais

Pages: 1 15 replies

Among the many things I experienced while in Hawaii, I was quite pleased to discover Trader Vic's premaid Mai Tais. As we were really roughing it (camping on the beach in Maui and Lanai, mostly), it was handy to have everything there in one bottle, and I have to say that I've had plenty worse mai tais in restaurants. Though not nearly as good as my home-made version, it was still closer in spirit to a "real" mai tai than anything else I drank on my trip. If you buy some, bet some dark rum to float, and a bit of fresh lime to revive the flavor if you can. Let me tell you, it's the only way to kick back and watch the sun set on a secluded beach on Lanai!

It just doesn't seem right to me

D

hey TikiMaxton: will you do a little trip report for us? we're going to HI next year..and i'm collecting ideas for what to see n do there.. (and where to drink, etc)

did you bring your own tiki mugs camping?

[ Edited by: dogbytes on 2003-01-03 21:33 ]

I bought some in Kentucky on a road trip a while back, and while I wouldn't serve or drink it at home it IS handy to have a bottle to take to a gathering where you know the drink selection is going to be a choice between Corona and Icehouse.

And what is it about Kentucky and their chicken and liquor?

-Mike

D

TikiMaxton, I am interested in the Camping on the beach part of this story. I have been told your not allowed to do it, but see it being done everytime I'm there. What's the deal?

K

Surely you aren't talking about the first product on this page: http://www.tradervics.com/product1e.htm

..that stuff is like gold. It's the same formula the bar uses inside the restaurant, straight out of the bottle... just add rums and fresh lime & pinneapple juice...

[ Edited by: kahukini on 2003-01-04 16:42 ]

So just where the heck is Tikimaxton? Been pretty scarce lately. Perhaps back on the beach in Lanai with some limes and some mix?

H

I dunno about Hawaii, but up here in Seattle, some of the beach on the Puget Sound is owned by Burlington Northern, so it doesn't get patrolled. Years back we used to sneak into someone's backyard late at night, go through a hole in their cyclone fence, walk along a ~1ft. wide path with blackberry brambles on one side and a ravine on the other (while toting a big ol' box of beer), and end up on the beach. It was great, super-secluded, and there was phosphorus in the sand and water right along the shore. Cold as hell, though.

The best tiki bar is the one that's within stumbling distance of your bed
The Humuhumu Room

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2003-01-04 00:36 ]

Even Beachbum Berry confessed to trying and approving (for what it is) this Trader Vic's Mai Tai cocktail mix on his recent Hawaii trip. He tought it was only available in Hawaii. (Now this is not the fruitjuice mix to add rum to, or the syrup, it is the complete cocktail, with rum, in the bottle.)

On 2003-01-03 22:18, kahukini wrote:
Surely you aren't talking about the first product on this page: http://www.tradervics.com/product1e.htm

..that stuff is like gold. It's the same formula the bar uses inside the restaurant, straight out of the bottle... just add rums and fresh lime juice...

No, we are talking about Trader Vic's bottled Mai Tai, citrus, rums and all ready to drink right out of the bottle. Mine is in a plastic bottle, not glass like all the other Trader Vic's products, so I think it is intended to be a Mai Tai on the go kind of thing.

If you want, I can take a picture of it and post.

-Mike

On 2003-01-04 00:35, Humuhumu wrote:
I dunno about Hawaii, but up here in Seattle, some of the beach on the Puget Sound is owned by Burlington Northern, so it doesn't get patrolled.

Shudder.....
I can't believe that the beaches of the US are privately owned and you can only visit the public beaches. It's such a strange idea, particularly as you've got such a vast coastline. In Europe, you can pretty much wander the beaches as you please. In the chi-chi resorts, you'll probably have to pay to use a sun lounger, but there are very few places that you are prevented from wandering through.

I know of no places that a 'Beach Patrol' exists, either. What a foul idea. Beaches are made to relax in!

Trader Woody

Access to beaches varies from state to state. Oregon Governor Robert Straub, who passed away last month, was instrumental in passing legislation in the 1970's which secures all beaches in Oregon to public access. So head north from California and experience spectacular and accessible beaches. (Spectacularly cold water too so bring a wet suit.)

oh well its a sign of the times I guess

Yuack!

TV's pre-mixed Mai Tai is to real Mai Tai's what a 6 pack and a Hustler magazine is to ... well, a Mai Tai and a Hustler magazine!

getting back to pre-mixed drinks, i have been slaving away in my bar with "scratch" ingredients as opposed to mixes,scratch is always better. i dont know why, but my wife has a delicate sense of taste, and she always chooses scratch.i think that when you mix things and bottle, the tastes blend and lose flavor over time.

Beaches are made to relax in!

and we british have that right thanks to the Queen who ownes all the land in Britain between the high-tide mark and the Low-water mark (so the crown can claim tax on floatsum and Jetsum), and all sturgeon caught in british waters and she can eat swans, the greedy bitch.

Pages: 1 15 replies