Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Complete Kamapua'a Series is a Great Gift Idea

Pages: 1 22 replies

Aloha

Howzit? Dis here is Kamapua’a, an’ I wanna tell all you peopo ‘bout a new three-volume series written an’ illustrated by my braddahs Chris an’ Randy. Maybe you know dem bettah as Tiki Chris an’ Chongolio?

Da series is all ‘bout me, Kamapua’a! An’ how I go from bein’ a lazy moke to bein’ da hero of ancient Oahu! But, you gotta know one ting. I ain’t no ordinary kanaka! I’m wot the ancient Hawaiians call a kupua. Dat means I can change into all sorts animals & plants. Most times, it’s mo’ bettah fo’ me to be in my human form, but sometimes I get mo’ tings done when I’m in da form of a giant boar!

Braddah Chris spend plenny time wid me takin’ notes while I talk story ‘bout my adventures growin’ up in da jungles of Oahu way back long time when it was jus’ Hawaiians livin’ on da islands.

An’ wot I like ‘bout da way Braddah Chris talks story, is dat one minute you gettin’ chicken skin an’ da next you laughin’ your okole off!

An’ den he gives his text to braddah Chongolio, whose da kine illustrations make da story of my life even mo’ bettah!

Togeddah, dese braddahs create an ono series loaded wid awesome illustrations!

Release date for Volume One is early February 2005. Howevah, subscribe before December 11 & you’re guaranteed to receive all three issues at a discount!

Here’s wot you get!

All three issues of Kamapua’a, the Hawaiian Pig God: Adventures on Oahu.
(Each issue is about 20 pages & chocked full of illustrations! Follow the whole story as Kamapua’a goes from petty thief to island liberator!)

All three issues at a 20% discount.
($1.00 off the cover price of each issue.)

Free Membership to the Kamapua’a Club
Including these benefits:

Exclusive Freebies!
(From time to time you’ll receive free goodies, such as stickers, as well as info about the series unavailable to non-members.)

20% discount off any Kamapua’a merchandise!
(Tiki Chris & Chongolio have all sorts of ideas for Kamapua’a swag! As a Kamapua’a Club member, you’ll receive a 20% discount on any purchase plus early notice of any items for sale.)

MORE!
(Access to website, info about upcoming projects, etc.)

Why mo’ bettah to subscribe now?

Each issue of Kamapua’a, the Hawaiian Pig God: Adventures on Oahu is a limited run publication. As an early subscriber, you’re guaranteed first run copies of each issue before anybody else!

How much is it?

Subscription Rate is just $23.55 ($27.00 outside the U.S.A.).

Mele Kalikimaka!

A subscription to Kamapua’a, the Hawaiian Pig God: Adventures on Oahu is a great holiday gift idea!

Let us know that your payment is for a gift subscription & we’ll send a gift announcement card to you or your recipient’s address in plenty of time for Christmas.

Here’s what to do.

You can pay via PayPal.

Please use this email address: [email protected] when paying.

With your paypal payment, please enter “SUBSCRIPTION” in the subject line.
Please note if this is a GIFT Subscription.
Make sure you provide the mailing address you want the issues shipped to.

You can also use the [email protected] address for any questions or comments.

Mahalo,
Kamapua’a

[ Edited by: kamapua'a on 2004-12-26 09:10 ]

[ Edited by: Kamapua'a 2005-07-21 18:24 ]

[ Edited by: Kamapua'a 2005-11-30 15:57 ]

[ Edited by: kamapua'a 2005-12-04 09:15 ]

Welcome to Tiki Central Kamapua'a!
As a sign of the Tiki Central Aloha Spirit,
I would like to invite you to my next luau.
We have a lot of great food on the menu, but I need just a few more things to complete it.
Aloha!

Kidding aside, this sounds like a cool magazine.
Any teaser pics?

Howzit Unga Bunga? I’d love to come to your luau, braddah. But I’m not quite sure wot tings you want me to bring. You got any ideas?

Is it okay if I bring some of my ohana? Here’s a pic wid my ohana on da right.

Da buggah in the lower left corner is Olopana. You don’t wanna have him at da luau cuz he’s too greedy!

Da gods in da picture are Lono (in da center) an’ Kuka’ilimoku (upper left corner). Lono’s always got his eyes on me, an’ dat Kuka'ilimoku always seems to be tryin' to start a war. You can read all about dem in da series!

Mahalo,
Kamapua’a

[ Edited by: kamapua'a on 2004-11-29 15:31 ]

I
Iolani posted on Fri, Dec 3, 2004 7:41 AM

Eh, howzit, Kamapua'a,

You remember the old "Island Heritage" series? "Adventures of Kamapua'a" was my favorite - and that's the only Kamapua'a story I really know.

Is this series going to cover more? Are you going to sprout 8 eyes and scare the alaalas off da kahunas?

If the 'exclusive freebies' includes that Kamapua'a in a Santa hat, I might have to go in early.

K

On 2004-12-03 07:41, Iolani wrote:
Are you going to sprout 8 eyes and scare the alaalas off da kahunas?

Hey! Don't give away too much 'bout da series, braddah!

TC

On 2004-12-03 07:41, Iolani wrote:
You remember the old "Island Heritage" series? "Adventures of Kamapua'a" was my favorite ... Is this series going to cover more?

The 1972 Island Heritage book by Guy & Pamela Buffet is supposed to be good, but I just recently found out about it. I actually ordered a copy a couple of weeks ago. I'm looking forward to reading it.

But, from what I can tell, the Buffet version is oriented toward little kids and pertains to Kamapua'a growing up. The series I've written begins during Kamapua'a's adolescence and deals prominently w/ his struggle against the tyrannical Olopana (I've also written subsequent series about his adventures on Kahiki & his adventures with Pele).

I've taken some poetic license with the story but I stay true to the legend.

The works of Beckwith, Fornaner, & Westervelt are all influences, as well as the recently annotated translations of the 1890's Ka Leo O Ka Lahui Hawaiian language serial. Also, Charlot's book about Kamapua'a as literature really helped me put the pieces together when developing my story.

However, all the above works are so dry, academic or "old fashioned" (i.e. written 100 years ago). What I try to do in my version is make the story more accessible and fun to read. It's less heady than the above mentioned pieces and delves more deeply into the motives and personalities of the characters, while beefing up the action and suspense inherent to the ancient legend.

Also, I'm a big fan of the artist and writer Dietrich Varez, whom I actually had the chance to meet while on the Big Island a few years back. Listening to him talk story about Kamapua'a, Pele, et al was a real thrill. His work, along with that of Steve Goldsberry and Herb Kane, definitely influenced my style of writing!

Mahalo for your interest,

Tiki Chris

One more thing! Subscribe before December 11 and you'll get a card mail with the "Kama Claus" image on it.

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2004-12-06 09:01 ]

C

Hey Braddah Kamapua'a,
Welcome to Tiki Central! Nice of you to stop by and introduce yourself. Tiki Chris sure has done an awesome job of writing about your adventures. And I have gotten a real kick out of creating the art for it.
Here is a another drawing from the series of our Pig God buddy.

If you like this the series is going have many more cool images of Kamapua'a, tikis and hawaiiana.

cheers,
Chongolio

K

Aloha Braddah Chongolio!

Dat pic of me is da kine but, I don’ know if you got my good side. Maybe it’s mo’ bettah if I pose fo’ you again sometime?

You’re right about da way Tiki Chris talks story. Maybe, he’ll post a lil’ bit from Volume One of da series jus’ so we can get a
sample of what’s gonna happen?

By da way, I tink it’s amazin’ da way you an’ Tiki Chris work togeddah! Both you kanakas know a lot ‘bout my adventures an’
ancient Hawai’i. It’s great to know dat der’s still some peopo willin’ to keep da old legends alive!

Mahaloz!
Kamapua’a

On 2004-12-09 21:19, Kamapua'a wrote:
You’re right about da way Tiki Chris talks story. Maybe, he’ll post a lil’ bit from Volume One of da series jus’ so we can get a
sample of what’s gonna happen?

**Sure thing, Kama! Here's the Prologue from Volume One. Enjoy.

Tiki Chris **

:tiki:

Kamapua’a, the youngest of three illegitimate sons of the goddess Hina and her human lover Kahiki’ula, was born on the windward side of Oahu. Although Hina and Kahiki’ula were deeply in love, Hina was married to Kahiki’ula’s brother, Olopana, the tyrannical ali’i of Oahu. Whereas Kahiki’ula was loving and compassionate, Olopana was hateful and cruel. In fact, Hina never loved Olopana at all but was pressured into the marriage. In retribution for their infidelity, Olopana ostracized the lovers. They fled deep into the jungle to live with Hina’s mother and start an ohana, never revealing their relationship with Olopana to anyone.

Kahikihonuakele and Kekelei’aiku, the first and second born sons, were ordinary humans. However, Kamapua’a was a kupua, meaning he possessed supernatural powers, such as the ability to change his form. In human form, Kamapua’a was handsome and charming. However, as a kupua, he could take the shape of a variety of animals and plants, most notably a gigantic boar. Recognizing his kupua nature at birth, Hina’s mother gave Kamapua’a his name, which literally translated meant “Child-Hog.”

The mischievous Kamapua’a was notorious throughout the Hawaiian Islands (perhaps most notorious for his tumultuous & sexually charged relationship with the fire goddess, Pele). Although a trickster and a glut, Kamapua’a could also be generous and, when required, noble.

Our story occurs during Kamapua’a’s adolescence. During this time, Kamapua’a is still awkward with his power. He and his brother, Kekelei’aiku, are the closest of friends, but their eldest brother Kahikihonuakele has left the jungle to fight as a warrior for Olopana.

:tiki:

B

Welcome to TC Kamapua'a. Can't wait to read the whole story and see the pix from Chongo. If I were you I wouldn't go to Unga's Luau until you Know he's already got a pig to roast. Gotta watch 'im.

On 2004-12-10 16:44, Benzart wrote:
Welcome to TC Kamapua'a. Can't wait to read the whole story and see the pix from Chongo. If I were you I wouldn't go to Unga's Luau until you Know he's already got a pig to roast. Gotta watch 'im.

I’ll watch out fo’ dat Unga Bunga buggah! But don’ worry ‘bout me too much, brah. I’ve taken on all sorts kahunas, armies, monsters, gods, you name it! Ain’t nobody got me yet!

Anyway, mahalo fo’ da warm welcome, Benzart! I’m glad you’re excited ‘bout da story an’ da pix! Check Um Out!

Aloha,
Kamapua'a

G
GECKO posted on Fri, Dec 10, 2004 9:20 PM

great story here braddahz. Get'um if you neva wen get'um yet!

shootz

Aloha Tiki Central an' mahalo fo' yo' interest in dis new series by Tiki Chris an' Chongolio. Today (Saturday December 11) is da final day to take advantage of da early subscription discount. Here are da details one mo' time:

Release date for Volume One is early February 2005. Howevah, subscribe before December 11 an' you’re guarans to receive all three first print limited run volumes at a discount!

Here’s wot you get!

• All three volumes of Kamapua’a, the Hawaiian Pig God: Adventures on Oahu.
    (Each volume is about 20 pages & chocked full of illustrations! Follow the whole story as Kamapua’a goes from petty thief to island liberator!)

• All three issues at a 20% discount.
    ($1.00 off the cover price of each issue.)

• Free Membership to the Kamapua’a Club
    Including these benefits:

• Exclusive Freebies!
    (From time to time you’ll receive free goodies, such as stickers, as well as info about the series unavailable to non-members.)

• 20% Discount off any Kamapua’a Merchandise!
    (Tiki Chris & Chongolio have all sorts of ideas for Kamapua’a swag! As a Kamapua’a Club member, you’ll receive a 20% discount on any purchase plus early notice of any items for sale.)

• MORE!
    (Access to website, info about upcoming projects, etc.)

How much is it?

Subscription Rate is just $23.55 ($27.00 outside the U.S.A.).

Here’s what to do.

You can pay via PayPal.

Please note if this is a GIFT Subscription.

Or email Tiki Chris an' Chongolio at [email protected] for more payment options.

Mahaloz,
Kamapua’a

[ Edited by: Kamapua'a on 2004-12-11 07:58 ]

Da Early Subscriber Discount has been extended fo' 10 mo' days.

You got 'til Wednesday December 22 to get da goods at da discount rate.

Howevah, one ting is different: you won't get dat special "Kama Claus" card. But, everyting else is da same. Same 20% discount! Same exclusive offers an' freebies!

Mahalo if you already subscribed!

Tiki Chris, Chongolio, an' me would like to say a big mahalo to da peopo already signed up fo' da series! You should get yo' "Kama Claus" card in plenny time fo' da holidays! We appreciate yo' support an' look forward to yo' feedback!

Aloha,
Kamapua'a

[ Edited by: Kamapua'a on 2004-12-12 20:12 ]

Howzit?

Dis here's Kamapua'a an' I jus' wanna say mahalo nui loa to da Tiki Central members dat jus' joined on since we extended da early subscriber offer! You da akamai kine fo' takin' advantage of dis ono discount!

One mo' ting, if you no yet subscribe to da series you jus' got 'til Wednesday to get it at da discount! Mo' bettah you get'um wiki wiki 'fore da offer is pau!

Geev'um,
Kamapua'a

Last day fo' da Early Subscriber Discount!

Kamapua'a

Didn’t make da early deadline but still wanna subscribe?

Below are da details fo’ regular subscriptions.

Regular Subscription Rate is just $26.55 ($30.00 outside the U.S.A.).
Regular Subscription Rate includes membership to the Kamapua’a Club.

You can pay via PayPal.

You can also use the [email protected] address to contact Chris and Randy with any questions or comments or about more payment options.

**Release date for Volume One is early February 2005.

Mele Kalikimaka,**
Kamapua’a

[ Edited by: Kamapua'a on 2004-12-23 07:29 ]

Aloooha Tiki Central,

Jus’ lettin’ you tiki peopo know dat Volume Two of da Kamapua’a illustrated series is now available at http://www.piggod.com.

An’ jus’ like Volume One dis issue's got plenny action an’ ono graphics!

You don’t got Volume One yet? Mo’ bettah you check out http://www.piggod.com wiki wiki!

Volume Three, da final issue in da series, will be released in October

Mahalo,
Kamapua’a

http://www.piggod.com

[ Edited by: Kamapua'a 2005-07-21 18:26 ]

J

Just got issue #2 last night and I've already read it cover to cover! Wow! You really leave us hanging with that ending... looking forward to October so I can get issue #3 and see how it all ends up!

On 2005-07-22 08:14, johntiki wrote:
Just got issue #2 last night and I've already read it cover to cover! Wow! You really leave us hanging with that ending... looking forward to October so I can get issue #3 and see how it all ends up!

Mahalo for the kind words, johntiki. I'm glad you enjoyed reading Volume Two (Kamapua'a would be impressed that you 'devoured' the text in one sitting!).

As far as waiting so long for Volume Three ... well ... maybe I can post a few paragraphs some time between now and October.

Also, Chongolio and I will try to post some illustrations from the series in the next few weeks.

Aloha,
Tiki Chris

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris 2005-07-23 08:16 ]

Aloha,

I just want to let folks know that the third and final volume of the Kamapua‘a Adventures on Oahu limited edition series has been published and is now available.

Individual copies of each volume, as well as complete three-volume sets of the entire series are available at http://www.piggod.com.

To find out more about Kamapua‘a, visit the website or check out the article in the Pop Culture Tiki section of Tiki Magazine #3.

Mahalo,
Kamapua'a

TC

By the way ... these books make great holiday gifts. Here are a few good reasons to give da pig god to your loved ones this holiday season:

~ Make your money count!

Why give some uninspired gift card from some big box mega-store when you can give the work of two passionate individuals? Your purchase will help Chongolio and me to continue creating and pursuing our vision.

~ Bragging rights!

Let your friends and family know that you're a supporter of independent publishing.

~ Hey, it's a good story with great illustrations!

Whether you're entering your tenth year or your tenth decade, the legend of Kamapua'a is a fun read. If you've enjoyed reading our series, please share it with those you love.

Remember, this is a limited edition series. If you want to purchase any complete sets, let us know soon.

Thanks again all those who've supported the publication of this series.

Cheers,
Tiki Chris

Pages: 1 22 replies