Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

I need your tiki bar help/advice

Pages: 1 13 replies

I am hoping to open a tiki bar in the Milwaukee area next year, but I'm hitting a few obstacles with cost/capital/investors.

If any of you have opened your own bars I would be very interested in talking to you. I'd like to ask a few questions about financing and attracting investors. I also have questions about remodling and other start up costs.

Any advice or ideas on this subject from anyone would be a big help. Please either PM or email me. If you leave a phone number I would be happy to make the call.

Mahalo!

I have that dream here... I even have the building picked out in Shorewood on Oakland...

I'm worried that the way this city is that it wouldn't work... the tiki theme isn't bringing in crowds at Foundation... even if the decor is fair... plus I have no money or connections to get the ball going...

I can carve tikis though, which is the reason that I have no money...

I wish you the best of luck though, let me know if you're looking for tikis...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-11-30 00:01 ]

On 2004-11-29 09:36, Lake Surfer wrote:

I wish you the best of luck though, let me know if you're looking for tikis...

I've already thought of that. When I get that far, I will definately be talking to you. I thought maybe a carving demo might be cool too.

Aloha to that and check your PM

S

I had a lot to do with Hale Tiki opening and have a good many details. My suggestion is to start with the Small Business Association online and get one of their business plans that is close and tweak it. Like maybe a sports bar and change the terms and things around. Then maybe get with them locally and see if you can pick the brains of those near you who have run that sort of business. Careful not to give your idea away, just find out the important stuff for the business.

Your location is going to dictate everything. How much space will you decorate? How much is rent and how many seats will you have to cover that rent? How many people will have to work there? 1? 3? 5? Food? This starts getting you to what your revenue will have to be to support the place. Is that feasible? And so on...

Decor will is an issue. Do you want to impress die hard TC people or the locals? Etc.

But in the end, just consider your self opening a bar. Not a tiki bar, a bar. Fogure all that out. The SBA considers up to $250,000 a small business loan.

This is the building in Shorewood that I've had my eye on as a perfect start for a tiki bar...

It has a For Rent sign out front but it looks like someone is doing some work inside... there was a pet store there last year that moved down the block to Milwaukee because they wanted cheaper rent...

The building has much potential, I can only imagine what the inside is like... I know it has a high ceiling...

S

Lake,
What about parking...

That's a beautiful A frame to begin with.

On 2004-11-29 22:16, Swanky wrote:
Lake,
What about parking...

There's an abundance of on street parking on the main avenue that runs in front of it... there are many smaller storefronts and eateries along the avenue that use street parking... the only lots nearby are owned by a market and a Walgreen's...

As far as food... there would be competition from a small seafood eatery half a block down, but I imagine it as a lounge for enjoying conversation and drinks...

Shorewood (the suburb it is in) would be a good location in my opinion... people who live there are mainly professionals who have a bit of money... the location is near downtown Milwaukee (3 miles north) it is also not too far from a major Wisconsin Interstate...

Oh yea, and it is only 5 blocks from my house... :wink:

D

Lakesurfer,that looks like a really great building.I wish you much luck in your endeavor.Smart thing that it's only five blocks from your house,because you're going to be there an awful lot.Can't wait to hear about more details.

On 2004-11-30 06:10, docwoods wrote:
Lakesurfer,that looks like a really great building.I wish you much luck in your endeavor.Smart thing that it's only five blocks from your house,because you're going to be there an awful lot.Can't wait to hear about more details.

Oh no.. I'm not doing this venture... just posting a picture of a building that would work good... finkdaddy has got a plan going....

M

On 2004-11-30 00:00, Lake Surfer wrote:

On 2004-11-29 22:16, Swanky wrote:
Lake,
What about parking...

There's an abundance of on street parking on the main avenue that runs in front of it... there are many smaller storefronts and eateries along the avenue that use street parking... the only lots nearby are owned by a market and a Walgreen's...

Watch out for Walgreens....

On 2004-11-30 00:00, Lake Surfer wrote:
Oh yea, and it is only 5 blocks from my house... :wink:

Wow, I had no idea you lived so close to me. For some reason I thought you lived up near Sheboygan or farther up. We should get together sometime, maybe do the Foundation or Bryant's or something. I bartend at Yester Years in West Allis on weekends, but I'm warning everyone that it is a place that should be avoided by tiki people at all costs!

Look to other successes as examples, not necessarily Tiki bars. Think about what makes them work.
A friend of a friend of mine runs a blues bar. The atmosphere is modest and comfortable. "Blues" covers a pretty wide range of genres/sub-genres so it's not tough to book good acts. They also have a good variety of beer and liquor. The location is mediocre but accessible with descent parking. This combination loyally brings in a pretty broad yet sophisticated demographic, mid- 20's on up, and puts creative control in the hands of the management rather than the lowest common denomenator (sp?).

With this in mind, I came up with with a basic formula. Set out to open a Jazz club, a solid venue for jazz, lounge, world-music... the essence of exotica yet open to a range of genres. Stock the bar well and staff an ambitious tender or two. Layout the interior with attention to ergonomics and usability. Last but not least, pile on the tiki! You'll get the average Tiki enthusiast while pulling the slack with a broader, sophisticated, upscale demographic.

Pages: 1 13 replies