Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Help, is this really "vintage?"

Pages: 1 11 replies

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2004&item=3942480314&rd=1

It looks suspiciously like a modern doll but I dont know my hula girls very well so any input is appreciated!

TM

I'm no expert, but it looks vintage. The skirts on the new ones aren't silk (as far as I know).

Tiki Matt is correct, the skirt material is indicative of a vintage nodder. Another mark would be if it had a 'Made in Japan' tamp on the base.

D

"repair on her feet - not terribly obvious but could be easily touch up and would not be noticed"

looks like she was snapped off at the ankles!

Thanks all! Ah yes, I didnt even notcie the snap repair on the ankles. Good catch! Hm...I'm winning the auction right now so I might get stuck with this gimpy gal. :wink:

I have a non-vintage ceramic hula girl whose base snapped off at the ankles when she fell on the carpeted floor.

a little elmers glue fixed her right up and since then, no problems! but the lines are also obvious.

On 2004-11-29 17:58, dogbytes wrote:
"repair on her feet - not terribly obvious but could be easily touch up and would not be noticed"
looks like she was snapped off at the ankles!

Exactly, that's why she's goin so cheap.

should i be not passing up hula girls at thrift stores? i dont collect these ~ so im unfamiliar with the value...

honestly, i never thought about buying them to trade for mugs...

should i reconsider?

e

TM

On 2004-11-30 00:48, dogbytes wrote:

should i be not passing up hula girls at thrift stores? i dont collect these ~ so im unfamiliar with the value...

honestly, i never thought about buying them to trade for mugs...

should i reconsider?

e

No, you shouldn't pass on them. Their value is pretty high. Again, I'm no expert, but on average I would say the kind in this post (in good condition) goes for around $125 - $150. "Made in Japan" on the bottom is a good thing. Also, a magnet on the bottom is a plus. The magnet was used to secure to your dashboard (remember when they were metal?). I don't realy collect Hula stuff, but I did find a "Made in Japan" with the magnet a couple of years ago in an antique store for $20 and couldn't pass it up.

FrankenNodder

Paint some phony stitches over those cracks in her feet for a monster hula look.

does anyone know if the chalk/plaster ones are older or newer than the ceramic ones? i also came across one in an antique mall for $20 but mine is chalk hence the question.

The one thing I have learned is, if the ad says "vintage", it usually means it was created to look like the original old style. Same as with "vintage" guitar amps and guitars... brand new "old" looking stuff...

MTM

Pages: 1 11 replies