Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

XBOX question

Pages: 1 9 replies

I am new to Gaming, and just bought the Xbox. My TV is older, and does not have the three colored inputs, only an antenna input. I bought the RF adapter and although I can get the games to work, I am getting a heck of a lot of distortion in the sound, and the images. I cannot fix the contrast on my TV, and the images are extrememly bright and washed out sometimes, and any white or bright objects on the screen (including loading menus) results in a loud buzzing sound. Sometimes, the menus themselves are distorted, almost as though I am receiving the game images thru the air (lie a TV broadcast)

Is this problem based on my poor quality TV? The connections seem tight, but I also noticed regular Videos played thru my VCR (VCR also is older, and only has Antenna/RF output) also seem slightly grainy.

Hey Mick!
Time to ask Santa for a new TV.
Then your X-Box will come alive.

when i got my xbox i had an old tv too. what i did was hook it up thru my vcr. this does not work. it scrambles the signal so you can't copy dvds to vhs(why anyone would want to i don't know). i then hooked it directly to the tv and it was fine.

it could also be that the antenna input on the t.v. is bad. is your vcr attached to the rf adaptor? if so it could be a bad adaptor. the cheapest thing to try would be to return the adaptor and get a new one. if that doesn't work it is probably the T.V.

good luck and hope this helps.

I have to agree with Unga Bunga.

Running an Xbox through a video antenna on a tv old enough to require it, yikes.

That's like putting training wheels on the Space Shuttle.

Spend the $200 and get a modern TV. You'll be much happier.

TM1

Thanx guys....I think it is the crappy TV I need to get rid of!

It's funny, but I bought this unit for some relaxing before-I-go-to-sleep activities, but that Medal of Honor: frontline....all I can say is WOW! It got me all wound up!

My only regret is there is not enough blood or body parts..no entrails coming out of stomachs, no screaming in agony, like in real combat! Oh, and as hard as I tried I could not frag the captain, or shoot any of my teammembers!
But blowing up Krauts is pretty fun though!

TikiMick,

Why is it you got $ to buy an XBox, but no money to buy your own microphone for our band?

(hey, do you have money because now she's your XBox?)

M

Unrelated XBox question:

Can you get a regular PC style keyboard and 3 button mouse for the XBox?

I have tried and tried, but I just can't get used to the XBox stick for FPSs. I gotta get my mouselook on!

T
M

Thanks for that TG. Sounds promising, but a little screwy. I think I'll just wait until 2006 to play Halo 2 on PC. Or 2009 on a Mac! (accept the joke, mac users) I'm really surprised that there just isn't a straight ahead keyboard accessory from Microsoft, considering who they are and considering the expanding online component of the XBox. I'll stick with HL2 for now.

Tiki Bot has a good point about consoles being plug and play and no video card problems and all that. But I gotta say, I'll stick with PC gaming for now, despite the fuss.

1. Mouse/Keyboard is so much easier with FPSs, imho. Game Pads are great with less complicated games.

2. There's so much user development in PC gaming. New skins, levels, mods, weapons, cheats- keeps gameplay really fresh and interesting for a longer time.

3. The unending joy that is MAME. Plus emulators for just about every console system out there, especially the classics.

4. Speaking of the classics, for either console or PC, I highly recommend an X-Arcade stick. Real arcade controls that you can beat the shit out of.

http://www.x-arcade.com/index.shtml

Or you can build your own if you're crafty enough, and lay out everything the way you want it. Plus spinners and trackballs!

http://www.happcontrols.com/

As an aside, speaking of Macs: It's kind of a cruel irony that Bungie (makers of Halo) used to make Mac games, including a terrific early shooter called Marathon. Then, of course, they were inhaled by the evil empire, and there you have it.

On 2004-11-29 19:02, martiki wrote:
Unrelated XBox question:

Can you get a regular PC style keyboard and 3 button mouse for the XBox?

I have tried and tried, but I just can't get used to the XBox stick for FPSs. I gotta get my mouselook on!

Im having the same problem as well, the keyboard & mouse combination is a faster & more accurate FPS gaming.

tbird.

Pages: 1 9 replies