Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

DangerGirl's B-day Trader Vics SF 11/30

Pages: 1 12 replies

Bruce and I will be at the Trader Vics in SF Tues night 11/30 to hoist a few in honor of my (early) birthday celebration, if anyone wants to join. We should be there around 7 pm until probably about 9 or so.

(My actual birthday is Thursday 12/2. I talked work into co-sponsoring a local restaurant association holiday party that evening at the Cliff House in SF; so now I can invite anyone I like who is even loosely affiliated with the restaurant industry. It would be great to see some TC friends there ~ If any bay area TC restaurant-types are interested in checking that out with us, PM me and I will get you on the list.)

Anyone else going tonight?? See you there around 6:45 or so.

T

SAGITTARIANS RULE!!!!!!!

Sorry I can't make it to the Cliff House Thursday--love that place. Dang.

Happy Birthday, Jen!!!

tikivixen, 12/14/?? :wink:

T

Sorry we couldn't make it, DG. Happy Birthday!

Just outta curiosity, what's your opinion on the Cliff House makeover? I didn't even realize they were doing this until we popped in a couple weeks ago, then popped out when they said it would be a 45 minute wait just to get a drink!

It was all modern and glassy/steely inside, and the outside looks like a prison, at least from the street side. I liked the old divey look & feel better, even if the windows never got washed (it was like nature's window-tinting). I can't comment on the new service, but they give you one of those message thingys that looks like a Gameboy to alert you when your table's ready. Bad sign right there.

Happy Birthday

Get both feet in the Trough Dangergirl!

Happy Birthday Dangergirl!
Have a great time at the Cliff House. I don't care what they do to that place, I love the idea that it exists.

Why do I have the feeling you will live up to your name and it will involve the Camera Obscura? :)

P

Happy Birthday, Dangergirl! My birthday is 12/1. I just got back from eating too much, drinking too much and smoking... just enough. It was shameful self indulgence, but if you can't do that on your birthday, when can you? If only Tiki Ti had been open. Right about now I'd be Ray's biggest Mistake.

thanks guys for the well wishes! and happy b-day to my fellow Saj's!

F

Happy birthday to you, Dangergirl. :)

On 2004-12-01 22:16, ZebraTiki wrote:
Have a great time at the Cliff House. I don't care what they do to that place, I love the idea that it exists.

Why do I have the feeling you will live up to your name and it will involve the Camera Obscura? :)

Is that the place that used to be some kind of early century theme park that got washed away by the waves? It's got a little museum of weird mechanical stuff?

If it's the same place, it needs a few licks of paint, but I hope they haven't made it into some horrible Bubba Gump mersh nightmare.

Have a great time tonight, Dangergirl. I'm hoisting a G&T in your direction as I type.

Happy Birthday!

Trader Woody

Yeah Woody, that's the same place. Where you can see the seals sun bathing at times. God I miss S.F....but not as much as my wife does.

Happy B-day DG.

Right on with the G&T!

Yes, we checked it out last night. More or less disappointing in the remodeling. The phrase "gaudy monstrosity" (Oceans 11, remake) comes to mind. The outside is a bland white box with a wanna be retro sign; inside is more bland white steel and glass and stuff; the dining area is sort of rattan furniture with great views still - but I have so many memories of walking past that large old bar (it's gone) to get to that side lounge where you sit on antique furniture, drink old school cocktails and overpriced appetizers and watch the waves - it was a great place to play Hearts if you had 4 people and the gift shop sold cards!

oh well...

at least it was an evening of free booze and appetizers and good company!

M

On 2004-12-03 15:14, dangergirl299 wrote:
Right on with the G&T!

Yes, we checked it out last night. More or less disappointing in the remodeling. The phrase "gaudy monstrosity" (Oceans 11, remake) comes to mind. The outside is a bland white box with a wanna be retro sign; inside is more bland white steel and glass and stuff; the dining area is sort of rattan furniture with great views still - but I have so many memories of walking past that large old bar (it's gone) to get to that side lounge where you sit on antique furniture, drink old school cocktails and overpriced appetizers and watch the waves - it was a great place to play Hearts if you had 4 people and the gift shop sold cards!

oh well...

at least it was an evening of free booze and appetizers and good company!

The new Cliff House has an overall "cold" feeling--it lacks the warmth that it used to have. It looks 100 % diffrent!! I can't imagine that they used any of the old building. For example, it used to be three stories -two above street level and one below. Now it is one TALL story above street and one below.
When you approach it from below, you walk by a two story tall wall with no windows facing the sidewalk-there used to be two stories of windows there. The new section has a fancy, modern feel the (faux)old section on the street level is decorated to make you think it is old. The floor is covered with the type of tiny tiles one would have found on the floor of a 1900 era business. It has old bolted down bars stools and old style chairs. The "old" room is not badly decorated -but it reminds me of a classy old ice cream parlor!!
For someone who has never been to The previous Cliff House, they might like the clash of old style on one side and modern on the other. BUT, if you are going to see how they "fixed" up the old place, you could very well be disappointed.
One fact about the Cliff House is that is has gone under many changes over the years since the first one was built well over one hundred years ago-the building has been rebuilt so many times due to fires and other problems, so at least they didn't destroy a 125 years old building!

Pages: 1 12 replies