Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Resurrecting long lost cocktails

Pages: 1 5 replies

After reading Martiki's post about trying out some obscure cocktails from the past, it struck me as being a great idea to try out a few of these old recipes consigned to the dustbin (trashcan) of time. Just a flick through an old Trader Vic's Bartender's guide gives us a window into a world of cocktails of sophistication unheard of in this age of 'Slippery nipples' or Sex on the Beach'.

We Tiki Centralites may flick through these old recipe books and re-create an old classic, but who ever tries out the many obscure cocktails that fell out of favour because they weren't sweet enough to satisfy the modern palate?

So, it struck me as being an interesting idea to try out some of these less-popular cocktails and give them some kind of review. Tiki was long-lost for a while, so why not some of the less popular cocktails? You never know - we could unearth a forgotten classic.

Trader Woody

I once had a Slow Comfortable Screw Up Against the Wall, which is a combo I believe of Sloe Gin Fizz and Screwdriver (?) but I didn't like it. I'm not fond of Galliano, but after the bartender whispered the name in my ear, how could I resist?

1 part Vodka
1 part Sloe Gin
1 part Southern Comfort
Orange juice
Galliano
Mix together the vodka, sloe gin, and Southern Comfort in a tall glass over ice; fill with orange juice and then float 1 part Galliano on top to make the wall.

M

Does anyone have Ted Haigh's Vintage Spirits book?

Seems like a great place to start.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1592530680/ref=wl_it_dp/002-0245277-6236030?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=I38Y0CUGBFF8J4&v=glance&colid=2R9E51RYU4NC9

It's been sitting on my Amazon wish list for a while now, and well, with Xmas just around the corner...hint! hint! :wink:

I have a couple really old drink recipe books that I picked up at garage sales or junk stores for less than a dollar. One is pretty cool but the mis-printed index refers to an entirely different book! So you can't really look a drink up, just have to thumb through it.

There was this really wonderful and powerful drink I tried out of it called Dirty Princess or something like that.

H

On 2004-11-30 16:21, martiki wrote:
Does anyone have Ted Haigh's Vintage Spirits book?

Yes I have a copy. I've only just started to dive in, but I must point out that the forward alone, entitled Cocktail Archaeology, is worth the price. The book has recipes for about 66 cocktails which Ted (Dr. Cocktail) has resurrected from the past. Some of the drinks included are the Corpse Reviver, the Monkey Gland (high praise from Sven on this drink), and Satan's Whiskers (straight or curled!). Now I just need to start drinking some of these, so if you don't mind, I need to excuse myself.

[ Edited by: Hakalugi on 2004-11-30 21:55 ]

I got a mailer advertising this book. Anyone have any experience with it? Any thoughts?

173 Pre-Prohibition Cocktails : Potations So Good They Scandalized A President by Tom Bullock

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0965433323/ref=wl_it_dp/002-5086471-4415207?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=I16COKTIKFDYV2&v=glance&colid=3KO44GSUBUSK5

Sounds veddy interestink!

-Weird Unc

Pages: 1 5 replies