Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tabu Tiki Nights VI Chicago... This Week! Don't Miss It!

Pages: 1 15 replies

Updates in the following posts...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-12-13 22:11 ]

OL

Where is this?

T

Thanks for jumping on this early, Dave, and thank for the give-away. I am sure it will go to a good home!

I am also working on additional giveaways from some other well-known makers of Tiki stuff.

With all the free stuff, the Mele Kalikimaka and Aloha spirits in the air, and the appearance of King Kukulele from Los Angeles, this promises to be the biggest and best Tabu Tiki Nights yet.

If you haven't been able to make it to one, NOW is the time!

Here's all the info...

December 15, 2004:
Tabu Tiki Nights VI at Trader Vic's, Chicago!
With King Kukulele (from Los Angeles)

...and in 2005:
February 16, March 16, April 20, May 18 (no event in January).

Your island adventure begins at 7:00 and lasts until 11:00.

No cover!

Our musical guest is the amazing King Kukulele, coming to Chicago all the way from Los Angeles just for tis event.

More music by JT's Kon-Tiki Sound System (spinning vintage Exotica and Hawaiian music). James just bought some new vinyl, so listen for some new old tunes!

Catch all of your Mele Kalikimaka (Merry Christmas) holiday shopping right here: Dave from Lake Tiki is back at Tabu Tiki Nights. You need a Tiki under your tree this Xmas! And, look for new pop art Tiki prints on display from Chicago artist EsQui, and cigar-box purses from the lovely Lissette. Plus, DSK designs will be offering their new 10th anniversary Elviki.
These are already going FAST!

Shakin' it once again are our featutred Hula dancers from Barefoot Hawaiian.

Free stuff from Shag (courtesy of Surrey Books), and Lake Tiki (a free raffle for a hand-made Tiki!), other surprises.

and of course...

1/2 price Zombies.

Free pupus (appetisers).

The legendary Singapore Symphony drink: served in a pineapple shell and only available at the monthly Tabu Tiki event.

It's never too late for Tiki carvers, artisans, and entertainers to arrange to bring their work for display (contact James): [email protected]

Updated live entertainment schedules and further information can be found on the venerable Tiki Bar Review Pages site
http://www.tydirium.net

Trader Vic's is located in the lower level of the Palmer House Hilton at 17 E. Monroe, Chicago, IL, 60603. (312) 917-7317

This Wednesday is the big event! And I'm having a Holiday Sale at Tabu Tiki Night! Some of the best prices of the year on hand carved tikis and tiki decor! A bunch of new and unique items that would make perfect gifts for you or someone else! And I'm also having a free raffle for one of my tikis! You must be present to win... one entry per person please.

See you there... Mele Kalikimaka!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-12-13 01:02 ]

T

...and we have also added a 'progressive raffle' for other items in addition to LakeSurfer's stuff. The more tickets are sold, the bigger and better the prizes get.

Tickets will be 3 for $5, and the first 35 ticket buyers get a free Shag calendar from Surrey Books (that's a $13 value right there, so you get something whether you win or not).

See you all there!

I'm gonna make this one!

We should be there too! My first visit to Trader Vic's too! Merry Christmas to me!hee hee

E
EsQui posted on Tue, Dec 14, 2004 4:30 PM

Hi JT,

I really wanted to go Wednesday night, but I'm 400 miles away! I'm not sure if you got my e-mail last month, but I'm in Lexington, KY, restoring an 150 year old southern mansion. Over the next several months I will be in and out of Chicago, but mostly out of town.

Do you have the dates for the next events yet? I would be glad to offer some prints for the raffle. If you know the future event dates I will try to schedule a visit. I am currently carving woodblocks for a series of 4 new original tiki woodcut prints that I would like to release at Trader Vic's. The carving and hand printing should be finished in a few weeks. Hope to see you and everybody else soon. Have fun, and have a tiki drink for me because around here the fancy drink of choice is moonshine with a Pabst Blue Ribbon chaser.

EsQui.

C

EsQui - what a bummer you won't be there! I was looking forward to catching-up with you and Lissette tomorrow night. You did pick the right time of the year to escape the Windy City & head South. I look forward to seeing some of your new work later - sounds great!!

On 2004-12-14 16:30, EsQui wrote:
Hi JT,

I really wanted to go Wednesday night, but I'm 400 miles away!

Rats! Missed you two again! And my wife is coming along too! Happy Holidays to you both!

On the other hand... more table space... :wink:
Tikis everywhere!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-12-14 18:54 ]

Okay then.

Sorry for the mix up!

Look for EsQui's woodblock prints debuting at Tabu Tiki Nights in... February?

Quick question, where is the best place to park?? Never been there.

There is a Self Park, just east of The Palmer House Hilton, which Vic's is in. The lot is on the corner of Monroe and Wabash (Monroe is one way running east and Wabash is one block west of Michigan Avenue) Expect to pay between $15 - $25 I think if you stay for the whole Tabu Tiki event.

James or other Chicago residents may have another suggestion for parking?

[i]On 2004-12-15 11:34, Lake Surfer wrote James or other Chicago residents may have another suggestion for parking?

Dimethious,
Your best bet if you want to save on parking is to park south of Congress Parkway on State or one of the other east/west streets and hoof it....or it's about a $5.00 cab ride each way, which is still cheaper than parking.

Thanks! I will try that.

T

Here's the evidence: a good time was had by all.

It was great to see a few new TC members out this month. For those who I didn't have time to sit down and chat with, I look forward to doing so in the near future.

Hope you make it back in February.. March.. April...

Thanks as always to AJ, the GM at TV.
It was his idea to do Tabu Tiki Nights, and we're all grateful.

Big mahalos to King Kukulele for making us all laff, to the Barefoot Hawaiians for being terrific as always, and to Dave Krys and Lake Surfer for bringing their Tikis and Elvikis down to the event, and contributing to the raffle. Speaking of the raffle, thanks to BigBro Sven for agreeing to scribble on the BOT hardcover we gave away, and to me( :wink: ) for the rest of the prizes!

Special year-end thanks for Surrey Books who provided the Shag calendars we've been dishing out all year for free.

Remember people: no event in January, but we'll be back February 16 with some exciting and fresh new stuff (example: by popular demand, I am working on talking Trader Vics into doing a rotating drink special, a different one each month).

And now, the pix!

The camera has been drinking (not me).

Keep Your Eyes on the Hands!

Sing along with the Uke players from the Old Town Scheool of Folk Music

James mixes his two natural habitats: Tiki bars and mixing boards. That's Nels from Tikizone.com on the right.

That's Vintage Deluxe owner Gabrille, and her main man Jimmy Sutton, Chicago's top bass fiddle player. They won the grand raffle prize: a 30" tall tiki from LakeTiki.

![](http://www.tikibars.net/tabutiki/TabuTiki0412_Mary ueShag.jpg)
Everyone deserves a free Shag now and again.

That's our official Tabu Tiki camera girl Rebecca with King K's date, Hillary.

Pages: 1 15 replies