Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Help please!

Pages: 1 15 replies

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with this? I found it at work. I work in a church thrift store. Ok so I was going to take a picture but my batteries are dead. I found this picture of a similar one. the only apparent difference is the coloring. mine is more beige. Anyway I find cool stuff at work all the time and I was just curious.

[ Edited by: UncontrollableUrge on 2004-12-01 18:21 ]

crap. i guess the picture didnt come up? maybe you can help me with that too? Anyway. this is wha it looks like:
http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/omc/abw

K

I'm sure it's nothing of value.

You should ship it to me for a closer look. That way I can be certain.

Ku Ku

K

Oh, and there ya go.

Ahu

oh yeah and it says made for hawaii kai otagiri co. on the bottom.

M

It's evil...
Quickly smash it on the ground and run for the hills.

it's worthless!! I'll give ya $2 for it cause I feel bad for ya....let me know if you find any more of that junk layin' around the workplace. I'll help you get rid of it...

just kiddin'... it's a nice mug though....

M

It's a mug from the Hawaii Kai, obviously. Great Tiki-type palace in NYC, long closed. Check out Sven's little padded tome for more info, including a copy of the Hawaii Kai ad containing this mug. They used it to serve the "Wahine's Downfall" cocktail and it was a souvenir item, maybe $3 total for beverage and mug.

HT

Well hell, there's no beverage in it now. Whaddya say to $2.50?

If you're not a mug collector, you're off to a good start if you decide to become one.

TM

I hate tiki mugs, I mean realy hate them. You should too! Send it to me and I'll do both of us a favor and destroy that piece of crap!

HT

Matt isn't kidding. He'll cut that shit in two!

So what's it like working in a church thrift shop?

Is it a paid position, or volunteer?

Do priests come in often?

TM

On 2004-12-01 22:26, Hale Tiki wrote:
Matt isn't kidding. He'll cut that shit in two!

Damn right Hale! Even if I have to buy a $15 diamond cutting wheel for my dremmel! Now you got me really worked up!! I'm breakin' and cuttin' shit right now!!
AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Tiki Mugs, Vintage, Tiki Bars, Carved Tiki Poles, Apparel and more!
Everything Tiki at: http://www.bartiki.com

[ Edited by: Tiki Matt on 2004-12-02 00:43 ]

sweet. thanks for your help. I don't specifically collect tiki stuff, but I dig it. I basically collect whatever cool junk I find. Example: I found this exact shaker at value village for 50 cents! http://www.starliteroom.com/html/barware/cs024.htm

Anyway, I live in Quebec, Canada, so I'm always sorta thrilled when I find stuff like this because it's pretty rare around here. Oh and working at a church thrift store totally RULES. Old people get rid of crazy stuff. They think "Arghhh....I've had this thing for fifty years. time to get rid of it." and they don't know the value of anything. And there's always cool naked lady stuff.

Z

Rather amusing that people bestow the church thrift shop with naked lady items in quantity.

K

On 2004-12-02 21:21, ZebraTiki wrote:
Rather amusing that people bestow the church thrift shop with naked lady items in quantity.

Sounds like my kinda church.

I'd hate to see what shows up at the local Catholic Thrift Store though.

Ku Ku

Pages: 1 15 replies