Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

King Tut Returns to LA

Pages: 1 20 replies

On November 26, 1922 the tomb of King Tutankhamun was discovered, unlocking the most precious treasures the world had ever known. Throughout the 70’s, millions of Americans marveled at the treasures of King Tut in an unprecedented museum exhibition. For the first time in over 25 years, King Tut’s treasures have left Egypt for America…

And Los Angeles will be the only West Coast stop for this very special 4-city tour of King Tut’s treasures.

At LACMA beginning June 19, 2005

If it's anything like the King Tut show I saw many moons ago, this is a great exhibition to check out. More info at http://www.kingtut.org

Tickets are available for LACMA members as of today. From what I've read (correct me if I'm wrong) the general public must wait until March 2005 to purchase tickets unless they buy a special VIP ticket for $100/each.

King Tutankhamun was a minor king, but he was the only ancient Egyptian king whose tomb didn't get robbed. One can only imagine what treasures were buried with Ramses II and Akhenaton!

UtopianDream You are right - so those of us who are members should be sure to order our tickets if we want to get the great price and the packages and also to see this great presentation again. Too good to miss.

Tickets are already on sale, apparently. I'm going to have to reup my membership (I let it slide when I found out the tiki party was open to the public).

The show, which consists, of 100 pieces is well worth the excitement. My favorites were (a) replica boat, 2 yards long, desinged to ferry the young king into the afterlife, (b) the very large and very gold sarcaphagus of one of King Tut's aunts and the Votive Statuette of Amenhotep III.

Beware, there is no large headpiece. The primary marketing piece only is 12 inches long.

Photos of the entire show:

http://www.kingtut.org/gallery/Gold_52.htm

On 2004-12-01 21:57, UtopianDreem wrote:
If it's anything like the King Tut show I saw many moons ago, this is a great exhibition to check out. More info at http://www.kingtut.org

Utopian Dream, I wish I wold have read your post earlier - I coul dhave prepped more efficiently.

wasn't he born in arizona and lived in a condo of stone-a?

I already got tix for weekend of 9/10 (coinciding with pink martini concert). still seemed like a lot of availability for most weekends.

On 2005-06-29 09:31, dangergirl299 wrote:
wasn't he born in arizona and lived in a condo of stone-a?

Yes, he was born in Arizona, but then he moved to Babylona.

Went to the exhibit on Saturday. It sucked. Way to frikin' crowded and not very much stuff (unless you count all the little statues that look the same but different colors). Way over-rated. To hell with Tut, viva Los Tikis!

T

What's up with all this Tut mania?

I just know that prices are way up on hotels in LA, and cheap flights from the Bay Area are hard to find, and I bet it's partly due to the exhibit.

I went to See's Candies yesterday and they had a big display on their "official candies of King Tut". Jeez, enough hype?

what's with all this Tiki mania? I'm seeing it everywhere, including my local plant nursery.

Jeez, enough with the hype already...

:wink:

That exhibition was here last year, and I have to admit that we actually had some cool Egyptian fabric at the time. It was very popular.

Somehow, even though it seemed to drag on for months, I missed my chance to see it. DOH! All that Hawaii/wedding/Hukilau stuff got in the way.

T

On 2005-06-29 13:33, dangergirl299 wrote:
what's with all this Tiki mania? I'm seeing it everywhere, including my local plant nursery.

Jeez, enough with the hype already...

:wink:

I KNOW! Tiki tiki tiki!

King Tut ~ Steve Martin

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2005-06-30 22:55 ]

DZ

Unga - Thanks for the download! It definitely was good to see that again after all these years. I hope nobody does a shitty remake - Steve is the best! (and sweet Lou Marini solo...)

"He gave his life... for tourism."

Unga - you totally rock!!

He's a wild and crazy kind of guy!

On 2005-06-29 12:30, Tiki Matt wrote:
Went to the exhibit on Saturday. It sucked. Way to frikin' crowded and not very much stuff (unless you count all the little statues that look the same but different colors). Way over-rated. To hell with Tut, viva Los Tikis!

I agree with you and wholeheartedly recommend the Ku exhibition at the Bishop Museum (still there?) should go on tour. However, King Tut may be the next best thing.

Some one PM'd me do re-upload this SNL King Tut video,

So here ya go!

thejab noted:

I went to See's Candies yesterday and they had a big display on their "official candies of King Tut". Jeez, enough hype?

I was there last August; here's the top of the food menu from the outside kiosks. I've never had Forbidden Greens Salad...I wonder if I can get that with frogurt?

[ Edited by: tikijackalope 2006-01-18 20:13 ]

I hope those "mummy wraps" are made from real mummies! :lol:

Pages: 1 20 replies