Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Waaaay off topic...Celiac?

Pages: 1 4 replies

M

Just wondering if any of the TC group had this Celiac/Gluten intolerence? Email me [email protected] or pm, thanks.

TM1

McDougal, I have heard of it, but don't have it. Since I live in Little Persia, I have access to lots of interesting resteraunts, including an east african place that serves a type of bread called "injera"..apparently, it is made from a grain called "teff" that has no gluten, or very little. Injera is the bomb. It is like a big, sourdough, sticky pancake that you place various stews and meats on, (or chickpea) and you actually use the pancake as the eating utensil..it's very good tasting!

M

Hey Mick I have been researching this disease like a mother the last 52 hours, but haven't heard about that yet, thanks I'll look into it. It seems dang near everything has evil gluten in it(except God Bless RUM!!!)

Z

I think that Trader Joe's has gluten-free bread. I very well may be mistaken, though. I think it's rennet-free products that have no gluten. They have flyers in the store about what products are rennet and/or gluten-free. Worth checking out while you're buying more rum!

I think rennet is a protien chain (enzyme) that comes from multi chamber-stomach animals.

It's what makes milk coagulate into cheese.
It's usually mentioned as it keeps the lacto-ovo veggies from being able to eat a product (like cheese) that uses it.

In Scandanavia non wheat breads have been eaten forever. Rye and Spelt bread (brod)I don't know if those would cause you problems.

Stuff like that makes it a little easier to have a sandwich or something along.
Typically if you ask a waiter if something is Gluten free, they won't know for sure, but they may not admit they don't know

Good luck boyo.

Pages: 1 4 replies