Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Info about Steve Krane's The Luau

Pages: 1 8 replies

Hey Folks hoping you can help me. :)

My grandfather worked at the Luau from the time it was the Tropics to before it was sold and demolished in the 70's. He was a waiter for quite a long while! :)

I am only interested honestly for the history sake of my grandfather to find photos of the restraunt, pictures of items, pictures of people at the Luau, and so on, so that I can get an idea of what a great place it was.

I found one small photo of it, then a few more, and inquired to costs and prices of prints, and it was more than I could afford.

If you have things from the Luau, I'd love to see photos! I think it would be fantastic to see the items my Grandfather handled on a weekly basis! :)

Thanks so much!
Pearl

Welcome to Tiki Central!
You came to the right place.
I know someone here will help you out.

T

You may want to contact Cheryl Crane, Steve Crane's daughter - I dont know if she would be receptive to help or not but she is living in San Fran right now - she used to be a real estate agent in Hawaii, (I was going to send you the website where you could contact here) but I see she is no longer there, not sure what she is up to these days.

H

Hi, if you live in the LA area you might want to contact the owner of this restaurant called Capriccio's on Ventura Blvd. in Encino. He is a very friendly guy and he got engaged at the Luau. He might have some pictures to show you. He knows everyone and use to manage Scandia in Hollywood. Hope this helps, good luck.

Pearl, from the sound of it, do you own a copy of the "Book of Tiki"?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/382282433X/ref=lpr_g_1/103-8340384-2667867?v=glance&s=books

There are ten pages of pictures and text on Stephen Crane's restaurants in it, 5 deal with the Luau and have interior and exterior shots of it. Also, there are a Tiki and the entrance hut from the Luau on pages 204/205.

Cheryl Crane has an agent and never got back to me, I had to get my info and materials from other sources.

You can always ask Humuhumu about her Cereal Bowl:

HT

If anyone has any very high resolution scans, I can easily make an actual photographic print for Pearl. I have access to a film writer.

Aloha!

I love that "cereal" bowl!

I, myself, use the tiki bowls from Trader Vics or OA.

[i]On 2004-12-01 23:05, PearloftheOrient wrote:
My grandfather worked at the Luau from the time it was the Tropics to before it was sold and demolished in the 70's.

The tiki mana is strong in your family -
you must be a third generation!

Pages: 1 8 replies