Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Bob's Big Boy Toluca Lake - 5 A.M.

Pages: 1 7 replies

T

Hey all -
In a vain attempt to make up some of my hours I missed by playing hooky from work on Wed., I actually showed up at my office at 5 A.M.!

I took advantage of the non-existant traffic & studio/tourist hordes & took some cool pics of Bob's Big Boy, all neon a-glowin'

For those of you who don't know - it's America's oldest surviving Bob's, built in 1949 & designed by Wayne McAllister. It's actually the third Bob's to be built. And I work next door to it!

For some daytime shots - go here:
http://www.kenlarson.net/photos/california/historic/LA/code/bobsbigboy0.htm

I stood in the middle of the street for this shot... Our office is peeking out behind the marquee, with a hint of blue neon on top.

It was cool to see the interior without 5 kazillion people in there (it's a big tourist stop, we're near several studios).

WOW -- those pix are gorgeous! Can you tell us what kind of camera/settings you used?

Hey Tongaroa, I didn't know you worked so close.

We should have lunch sometime.

T

On 2004-12-03 17:52, cynfulcynner wrote:

WOW -- those pix are gorgeous! Can you tell us what kind of camera/settings you used?

We have a Nikon CoolPix 500 - a cheap digital camera to be sure... But it has 3 megapixels, I think? I also used a night-time setting (don't know what it's called) - but it flashes 3 times before it takes the shot, and you have to hold it really steady or it blurs the shot. Did I mention how butt-ass cold it was that morning? And I had to avoid a ranting guy who was running back & forth across the street...

T

On 2004-12-03 18:05, BarkerBird wrote:
Hey Tongaroa, I didn't know you worked so close.

We should have lunch sometime.

Anytime! PM me & we'll make it happen....

Back in the bad ole' days, my friends and I attended an X show and decided afterwards to eat at Bob's as it was on our way home. My drunken friend was concerned that "Bob" looked cold and wet (it was raining) so he convinced the rest of the gang to pick Bob up and take him indoors to buy him a cup of coffee. Needless to say the waitresses weren't the least bit amused that leopard-print-mohawked-leather-wearing-thugs were invading and called the police. The cops found it funny but we were refused service. I had forgot about it until I saw these pictures....

Z

Thanks for those great pictures! That's nearby my old workplace stompin' grounds, and I never minded getting out late, because all the neon would be lit.

On 2004-12-03 18:18, Tangaroa wrote:

We have a Nikon CoolPix 500 - a cheap digital camera to be sure... But it has 3 megapixels, I think? I also used a night-time setting (don't know what it's called) - but it flashes 3 times before it takes the shot, and you have to hold it really steady or it blurs the shot.

Wow! I was sure you'd reply with something about f-stops and ISOs and shutter speeds. It's really difficult to take clear photos like that with a digital camera that costs less than $1000. 8)

Pages: 1 7 replies