Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Serigraph Question

Pages: 1 5 replies

TM

If you had a signed and numbered serigraph by say, Shag, would it lose value if you trimmed the border?

I would say play it safe on don't trim it. Be it a far cry from fine art, I collected baseball cards at one time. on some display boxes there were special cards you could cut out. I was advised that doing so greatly lowered their value.

If you don't mind my asking, why are you considering trimming it?

TM

I bought two of the Shag Hula Hula prints from Shagmart.com. Unfortunately they were damaged in shipping (the edges of both prints are creased). I emailed and called and have not been able to reach anyone at Shagmart. The prints are sold out, but I am hoping they will be able to replace them.

On 2004-12-04 12:06, Tiki Matt wrote:
I bought two of the Shag Hula Hula prints from Shagmart.com. Unfortunately they were damaged in shipping (the edges of both prints are creased). I emailed and called and have not been able to reach anyone at Shagmart. The prints are sold out, but I am hoping they will be able to replace them.

I would say frame them and cover the creased edges with matting, you can get some cool matting now that looks like woven grass (if not going for acid free mat and uv glass but that costs more) I think it would affect the value, and what if you slipped when trimming it!! I used to work in the warehouse of a framing store, and we saw a LOT of art come in that was ruined because people didn't know about the affects of sun and air on their art. I'd spend the extra moola and do it right, it's worth it to protect your investment. and your great great grandkids will thank you
:)

T

[ Edited by: tikichic 2005-10-06 07:05 ]

TM

On 2004-12-04 15:52, tikichic wrote:
Don't cut the borders on prints. It will drastically effect the price on prints. I don't know whether you've tried calling or emailing Shagmart. I'd suggest calling and talking to Piet directly over emailing. I've not had good luck over the years with SM emailing me back regarding any of the questions/concerns I've presented them with. A phone call has cleared problems up immediately! Call them M-F but don't leave a message. Again, they won't call you back if you go that route.

Thanks Tikichick. I tried calling all day Friday but no one answered. I did leave a message, but will try again on Monday.

Pages: 1 5 replies