Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

I need to light my dinosaur; power inverter advice?

Pages: 1 8 replies

Does anyone here have experience with 12 volt DC to 120 V AC power converters that run off a car's battery? I've loaned my dinosaur out to a friend's non-profit cause for a couple of daytime parades; now I've been asked to drive it in a night-time parade so I'll want to power at least a few strands of twinkle lights...or maybe some C-7's. Of course, I also don't want to kill the battery. Can anyone recommend a brand or model of power inverter? Thanks!

At Costco (here anyway) they have cheap inverters...which would be plenty for a low amp draw. I think they're used for electric razors and stuff like that for car camping....not power tools

Cheap inverters are not well made and don't last if they are the sort from Kragen or Costco...but would be perfect for such jackassery as your project.

Adding stuff like this can result in Alternator and Regulator being used harder than usual, any weak links in the system might cause other troubls.

If you don't put too much lighting in the dinoasur it should be no problem. (Just test if first at home...some times there is a bit of a delay when you switch it on...)

Don't use those halogen lights as they get really hot and use a surprizing amount of power.

The light should say the amps used, but make sure not to exceed the amount the inverter can handle.

Never hurts to be carful of hot smells too...but it should be fine.

Be sure and get some free drinks for your trouble

8T

Greg, we have a 12VDC to 115VAC high- efficiency 140 Watt Portable Power Inverter from Radio Shack. Have used it in our van while on the road to power a small tv/vcr combo. Worked fine. Should be no sweat for a parade of lights.
Just don't harm the dino! Have fun.

8T

BY the way, forgot to mention that it cost about $100 several years ago. Don't know if prices have gone up or come down. If you don't already have access to one and you will be in my area before the event, you are welcome to borrow it. OR I can mail it to you. Let me know. P

Paul, thanks for the offer but the parade is tonight. I certainly do appreciate it though.

Gigantalope wrote:

Adding stuff like this can result in Alternator and Regulator being used harder than usual, any weak links in the system might cause other troubles.

Thanks for the useful input. I think I may use battery operated lights because The van I've been loaned for this runs unevenly at very low speeds and the voltage indicator dips to the low end of normal, even without any extra load.

I've tested the battery operated lights and a strand of ten will run for the neccesary four hours with minimal dimming on two C batteries. While I was at it, I did a comparison between Duracell and the cheaper Ray-o-vac...couldn't see any difference in this light-load job.

I'm still studying inverters though...and, of course, all of this has me thinking about a smoke-breathing tiki van wafting out exotica to a confused crowd of flag-wavers...hmm...4th of July, 2005?

One more thing: can I get a degree in jackassery?

Glad I was of some (doubtfull) help

Jackassery...It's a term a an Uncle used at me in anger (Involving not living up to potential)
I tried it on and it fit so well, I use it all the time.

Lots of potental for electric outlets in cars. I had thought of running a projector showing "slap and tickle" movies, from a car onto a screen on a trailer.

Thanks for the input! I ended up borrowing a more stable van and used an 85 watt inverter ($17.99 at Wal-Mart) to power a 50-strand of lights.

And now you can rig up a blender for commuting!

Looks good!

I'm positive you would have to eliminate every 4th newborn to make that a reality.

(but then I'm biased...)

Pages: 1 8 replies