Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Coruba Rum

Pages: 1 24 replies

HT

Has anyone ever had this? It's a Dark Jamaican Rum. I live in PA, and the only place to buy liquor is at state stores, which carry about 6 brands of rum, mostly bacardi. Anyway, I stopped at one tonight, and they got it by mistake, one bottle, and I happened to get it. Any experience with this rum?
Aloha!!

we use it to mix. It's a great quality rum for a good price (at least here). I like it better than Appleton dark. Their sipping rums (two kinds of 12 year old) are some of my favourites.
They also just came out with a 18 & 21 year old (will try them on monday) and an overproof.

J
JTD posted on Sun, Dec 5, 2004 6:53 AM

It's marketed by Appleton and I've been looking around here for it for ages. Other than that, nothing.

http://www.appletonrumus.com/other_coruba.asp

HT

Badass. I paid $10.30 for the bottle, with tax.

K
Kono posted on Sun, Dec 5, 2004 5:25 PM

Coruba's a great dark rum. I bought some after I read (on another thread) that the SF Trader Vics uses it for their "hand made" Mai Tai.

JTD, if you get down Orlando way, Aloma Liquors on Aloma Avenue sells Coruba.

J
JTD posted on Mon, Dec 6, 2004 6:17 AM

Thanks, Kono. I'll be down there in Feb. with my shopping list.

T

I love it!

I use Coruba in my homemade mai tais - it can be bought in Maryland (Montgomery county liquor stores), for about 14 bucks when it's on sale. For you DC locals, here's the link to Montgomery County Department of Liquor Control (MCDLC). Their sales change every Wednesday.

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/Apps/DLC/Retail/spirits_specials.cfm

They also have online coupons!

I live in Virginia and cannot get it here - i have to cross the Potomac river to get it in Maryland... wahh!

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-02-14 19:14 ]

I picked up my first Bottle of Coruba last weekend, and I enjoyed it very much! Haletiki how much did u pay? I paid $15.99 + tax here in Jersey for a 750ml bottle. I have experienced state stores in Philly for alcohol. Prices are good but like you said selection sucks. I did find one store that kinda blew my mind and its located at Franklin Mills mall area! Across the street from the mall, its like Discount Wine and Spirit Warehouse or something? They had a good and pretty decent selection of just about anything. You should check it out when u get a chance! Very surprised since the state stores generally suck! If u got a car do like everyone else does drive to NJ and buy from Roger Wilco on Rt.73 lol Its amazes me how many Penn plates you see in that parking lot on the weekends...my next rum to pick up and try is St. James Martinique.

J

While not in PA, I've seen Coruba in a couple of NH liquor stores.

this is my absolute favorite bottle of rum we got in Jamaica, and we brought home 12 different kinds of rum, including Havana club!...i now substitute coruba for ALL Jamaican dark rum in recipes...luckily theres places around chicago we can get it (even if it is double what we payed for it at the duty free store there)....well worth seeking out for sure!

[ Edited by: hala bullhiki 2006-02-14 18:35 ]

I am certainly a fan of this drink. Congrats on finding it in Pennsylvania. You're in good company as Tiki Ti uses it in their concoctions including Ray's Mistake. Enjoy!

-Weird Unc

J

Figures - I'm heading to New Hampshire in a couple of weeks and they've discontinued the Coruba! There are only three bottles left in the state (you gotta love the online inventory!). I knew I should have bought a case of the stuff last summer.

G

On 2006-06-21 21:45, johnman wrote:
Figures - I'm heading to New Hampshire in a couple of weeks and they've discontinued the Coruba! There are only three bottles left in the state (you gotta love the online inventory!). I knew I should have bought a case of the stuff last summer.

Do you mean The Rum Company (the distiller) has discontinued it or your supplier has discontinued it? I just walked into a liquor store today that I've never been to before and asked them if they'd heard of Coruba. She held up a bottle and said "You mean this?". I said "gimme!".

J

Ah man I'm sorry - I meant the NH state liquor stores are no longer carrying it. Hope I didn't cause a panic. It is nice to hear it's available in FL. Hopefully I'll be able to stock up in October at the Hukilau. Is it common to see in FL?

J

I've gone through a good amount of Coruba this year. Liters of it $20 at Beverage Warehouse in Marina Del Rey. I like it in Mai Tais and most drinks that call for dark rum. I've also used Myers's which is okay too but I like the label on the Coruba bottle.
-Sam

On 2006-06-23 18:04, johnman wrote:
Ah man I'm sorry - I meant the NH state liquor stores are no longer carrying it. Hope I didn't cause a panic. It is nice to hear it's available in FL. Hopefully I'll be able to stock up in October at the Hukilau. Is it common to see in FL?

No worries... no panic here. I figured that's what you meant. Apparently it can be had without too much trouble in Orlando. Not sure about Ft Lauderdale. Chip/Andy, can you chime in? I Dream of Tiki also has a post somewhere here that lists rums she found in liquor stores in South Florida. Do a search and you should find it. If you come up dry, let me know and I can try to bring some bottles to Hukilau.

J

Many thanks Gator! I'm getting to the Hukilau early on the Thursday (9 something) and will surely spend a couple of hours stocking up for the weekend at the local liquor stores. Hopefully finding some gems that we don't see up here in the northeast.

I found I Dream of Tiki's topic and read it through - though I have no idea how far some of the stores are from Ft Lauderdale (too lazy to open google earth right now:). There's still plenty of time for some strategic planning though. Hmm, there's lots of Appleton (they produce Coruba) in the stores around RI so maybe I can pester a local owner to pick up a case? We'll see!! Thanks again for your help Gator!

So I picked up a bottle of Coruba last week for $17.99+tax and I'm VERY happy with it! Mostly I've been using it to make Mai Tai's (along with an ounce of Pyrat XO) and it's really nice. I think I may actually prefer this in the drink compared to the Appleton Extra, but that's going to require some side by side tests :wink: I've been looking for a dark rum that I really like, and this is quite nice.

So I made up a new drink tonight with it too! I drink a lot of Monster Lo-Carb energy drink, since I like the taste, and I can get a basically unlimited free supply through my sources :wink: I had tried mixing it with rum once before, and was less than enamored with the results, but tonight I came up with a winner:

1 8oz can Monster Lo-carb
2oz Coruba rum
1/4 oz Orgeat
1 teaspoon Velvet Falernum
5 drops Fee Bros Orange Bitters

I used a chilled can of Monster, added all the ingredients, stired, and then added ice. It was really quite good! But I've yet to come up with a name. I liked it a whole lot better than when I had used 2 oz of pyrat XO and a half a lime.

Chris

G

On 2006-08-14 23:44, Kona Chris wrote:
So I picked up a bottle of Coruba last week for $17.99+tax and I'm VERY happy with it! Mostly I've been using it to make Mai Tai's (along with an ounce of Pyrat XO) and it's really nice. I think I may actually prefer this in the drink compared to the Appleton Extra, but that's going to require some side by side tests

Wha? Huh?! Coruba good, but Appleton Extra better. By all means, commence your taste testing though. :D

H

Coruba is one of the cheaper brands of rum, but the taste is unique. Im really not a fan of it. In fact all bars i have worked in have never stocked it cos well.....its crap (its like entry level). barcardi black isn't the same. It has too much of a fake rum flavour to me but to a cocktail i think it can bring the rum flavour out.

isn't it a more navy rum? like lambs, captain morgan, black heart rums. that thicker consistency. not like appletons

BTW 42 below came in the other day they have started a new rum from fiji called 'tiki seven' its aged 2 years its not for sale yet, its like havanna white. they are just getting people to try it.

Johnman, I apologize for not providing updated information. I just found a store in Hollywood, FL stocking Coruba. Will post info in the rum finder thread.

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2006-08-17 20:56 ]

J

No appology necessary - thanks so much for updating the information! Looks like I'll be making a stop in Hollywood on the way to Ft. Lauderdale this October...

I first ran across Coruba rum in the early 80's, in a "discount" liquor store, not noted for depth of selection. I don't know why they had it in the first place, but it apparently wasn't moving. They had it in a clearance bin, marked down to $3.00 a bottle! I thought, this stuff really must be awful. I asked a clerk, and he said he had no idea about taste, but it was discontinued, and they were just trying to get rid of it.
I bought 1 bottle, took it to my car and had a cautious sip. I was surprised to find it tasted about as good as Myers's or Appleton's. I went back in and bought the other 3 bottles. After they were gone, I never saw Coruba again, until a couple years ago. Only now, it was priced much more comparably with the other aforementioned Jamaicans. I guess I have a mental block about paying that much for what I've thought of for 20 years as a really great $3 bottle of rum.

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2006-09-01 11:37 ]

G

If all rum was $3 a bottle, I'd be in serious trouble.

We'd ALL be in trouble with $3/bottle Jamaican dark rum... sort of.
The Bad News: We'd soon be unemployed and unemployable, due to excessive devotion to our hobby.
The Good News: At only $3 a fifth, we could collect enough aluminum cans each day to buy a bottle, with a little left over for limes (must avoid scurvy).

Pages: 1 24 replies