Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: Old 50's Restaurant Design Book - Canlis Broiler Included

Pages: 1 11 replies

T

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4509690978&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

I picked up this cool 50's restaurant architecture and design book - there's 2 sections on 2 different Canlis Broilers (pic of one with the big tiki in the pics section) plus lots of other great old restaurants from around the world, but mostly US. Check out the pci of La Concha - it is shaped like a giant conch shell!

P

Tikifish,

Thanks for posting pics and info on this ! I have a Honolulu Canlis menu with a drawing of that tiki on the cover, but that's the first photo I've seen of it actually in the restaurant . The other Canlis here in Seattle is the only one that is still open (there was one in Portland and San Francisco at one time, too). Love that La Concha restaurant pic !

Wow, what a lamp collection!!! And where was that La Concha style dining room, I have never seen it in any other photos.

The Seattle Canlis was considered (in it's original state) even more swank. But I guess it is blanded out now?

The fate of this, the Waikiki Canlis was quite ironic, it turned into the local police station before it was torn down.

T

La Concha was in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Truly an amazing looking place!

Oh, I actually meant the La Concha Hotel Lobby building in Las Vegas, with the BEST resin mosaic sign behind the front desk....
Do you have pix of the one you mentioned?

TikiFish,
Since you are so into mid-century modern architecture, I was wondering if you know of any sources for early 60's house plans? There is house in a 1962 issue of Better Homes and Gardens we really like.

T

I have TONS of MCM house plans. Do you have a picture of the house, or floorplans? Are you looking for blueprints?

T
thejab posted on Mon, Dec 6, 2004 5:52 PM

On 2004-12-05 10:57, bigbrotiki wrote:

The Seattle Canlis was considered (in it's original state) even more swank. But I guess it is blanded out now?

Very much so. See TOUR on their web site for the boring "tasteful" new look. http://www.canlis.com

Another "La Concha" style building. This one is the Restaurant "Los Manantialer" in Xochimilco, Mexico, designed by architect Felix Candela.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-12-05 02:55 ]

Man oh man....dreamy!

BK

Does anyone know the title of this book?

Hi Kahuna,

Sorry. No idea what book those original pictures came from. I probably should have written down the title from the ebay auction back in 2004.

Pages: 1 11 replies