Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Hulaville roof

Pages: 1 7 replies

D

Here it is, well the roof at least. I knew I didn't want to put up thatching on the whole ceiling, so we came up with the idea of a drop ceiling. We took a old box frame from a mattress we were taking to the dump and stuck it on my ceiling. After a few modifications. In the image you can't really see that part of it is cut at an angle to give a more angular feel to the room. I'm pretty happy with the results. Now onto the next project...

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-12-05 10:02 ]

Using the box springs, that's clever!

(Just hope it dosn't come off the ceiling and start looking around for an egg.)

Really though, re-using stuff is so cool, and adds the charachter that's really done in most out of the way countries.

I'm a bit paranoid about fires with some of the stuff I've set up with awnings, fabric and fiber stuff... will you have candles or anything in there?

It looks great!
Thanks for sharing.

Great idea Dawn! I agree with Gigantalope about recycling stuff and givin' it a new and perhaps better life.
Very clever only doing a corner.

Chongolio

Now you need to figure out a way to get that red glow from the first two pics in there permanently...any way to put some fixtures in there with colored bulbs that wouldn't set it on fire?

D

Thanks for the kind words guys, I'll take any ideas people may have to add to it. The credit for the recycled bedframe idea goes to my husband, anything to get out of having to go to the dump. :P He's pretty clever like that. My camera doesn't do lighting very well. The flash is so bright. So the room seems brighter than it really is. PJ I will invstigate the extra lighting idea, I don't know how hot they would get, but I might try some different colored uplights placed around the floor in the corners maybe. I do have some glass floats, but they are way to big for the small area I have, I know clutter is good for a tiki bar and I do like that look, but I am going for more of a clean feel. I will look into smaller balls to hang up. I am sure I'll need a plant or two too, I kill anything that has roots so they'll have to be fake. As far as candles go, no, I am pretty skitty about having matting and thatch by electrical wires as it is. So candles are a no-no, no need to tempt the gods. :tiki:

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-12-05 12:04 ]

Nice! I agree with Purple J that you could use some lights to capture the mood. one or two Kahaka's lamps might be worth looking into. Keep the pics coming.

D

Great minds think alike :wink: here's my Kahaka lamp. The pictures I posted are just of the roof section of my lounge, the room is about 12X12 I think. I was just kinda happy the roof turned out kinda cool and wanted to share. Again this bad boy is too big for the roof area... but thanks for the idears...

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-12-05 13:20 ]

Sweet.

Pages: 1 7 replies