Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

the tikis vs. the tiki gods...what gives?

Pages: 1 6 replies

This subject was started on another thread so we'll continue it here for anyone who gives a $#!+. OK here's the story: Mr. Bigbrotiki mentioned a band called MONITOR, which surprised me because they were so obscure and I'm a huge fan. MONITOR was a bizaar group in the early 80's that only released 1 album of the scariest music ever put to vinyl, with songs like "Dead Jim's Shade". Anyhoo, I was in a band called the TIKI GODS that played with MONITOR at Cal State Long Beach once upon a time. The Question here is that Mr. Bigbrotiki said MONITOR later became a band called the TIKIS.Did they release an album? What kind of music? Which members of MONITOR? I had never heard this before and I like to consider myself "in the know" about such things. If I have fallen "out of the know", and there is anybody out there that knows more about this matter, please respond. As a sidenote, I've e-mailed various "hip" record labels about finding who owns the rights to MONITOR and possibly releasing it on CD but so far no luck. But I did burn my LP onto CD and if there's anyone who wants to hear the worlds creepiest band, I'd be happy to GIVE you a copy of it...cuz I'm a givver(while supplies last, barring any copywrite infringements, must be local). Just buy one of my TIKI lights(kidding). There you have it. Bigbrotiki please weigh in on this as you started it! Oh, the TIKI GODS were pretty cool too, in a '79-'81 new-wave kinda way.I was a 14 year old drummer, the other guys were 26 and we played clubs around OC like the Coocoo's Nest and Goodies, mostly with a band called the NU-BEAMS, remember them? (another subject) Well I've got CD's of TIKI GODS crap too if you're into that sorta thing.

[ Edited by: Tikitortured on 2004-12-05 12:50 ]

[ Edited by: Tikitortured on 2004-12-05 12:55 ]

[ Edited by: Tikitortured on 2004-12-05 12:57 ]

G
Gavin posted on Mon, Dec 6, 2004 9:05 AM

The Tikis put out a 7" in 1981 on World Imitation. Two songs; Surfadelic and Junie.

E-Bay here I come.

G
Gavin posted on Mon, Dec 6, 2004 12:16 PM

gatefoldrecords.com has one for 18 bucks.
stoopidrecords.com has one for 34 bucks.

B

Not sure if this is the same Tikis

G
Gavin posted on Tue, Dec 7, 2004 9:37 AM

Jeffrey Valance is listed as the singer of these particular Tikis.
Michael Uhlenkott, bass.
To add further confusion, there is also a Tiki Men, surf band (?) from Sacramento.
Alien Tiki Godz,from HB.
A band from Newport Beach called the Swingin Tikis contributed a song to the Surfin' Sundays CD.

Our very own Crazy Al was/is in the Swinging Tikis.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1100&forum=4&start=0

[ Edited by: floratina on 2004-12-07 12:23 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies