Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Seattle's Frye Museum ~ Mark Ryden exhibit

Pages: 1 7 replies

D

http://www.fryeart.org/

as is customary in Seattle, the newspaper reports Art Openings and other events only [i]after[/ib] they occur ~ luckily the Ryden paintings will be on display November 19, 2004–February 13, 2005.

best thing is, the Frye is free !

Thanks dogbytes -- I wouldn't want to miss this. (I'm thinking of going this Thursday after work.)

BTW, one of the Seattlelites I met on the NW Tiki Crawl (but is not on TC much, I don't think) is Kirsten, the owner of Roq La Rue. She invited me to Tiki and Dead Elvis party hosted by one of her friends, who teaches art at Cornish (or used to, at least) -- a big Ryden fan. The party was swell, not only was the famous Seattle Elvis Taxi Cab driver there, but also a 300 lb. accordian-playing Elvis. Anyway, it seemed like there were several fun, artsy people there that might be interested in future tiki events, who knows. If anybody local knows who I'm talking about (who knows when I'll get around to digging out their contact info), I'd be curious to know if you'd agree.

Oh yeah -- Kirsten herself gave a lecture on Ryden at the opening of a recent Roq la Rue event which, sadly, I could not make.

[ Edited by: monkeyskull on 2004-12-05 23:13 ]

E

So did you guys make it to this show yet? If yes, did you enjoy it?

I have two friends who went to the private party on November 18th. I also saw an ad in Alaska Airlines magazine for it and cut it out as a reminder to try and get my butt there before it closes.

Maybe we could have a Rongo Rongo room-Mark Ryden night? ::: slyly invites self over to Dogbytes house :::

My wife and I went to the opening and the line for Mark to sign items wound thru the entire museum. I asked one the employee's
about the turnout to meet the artist and she said it was the largest ever. Way too many people to view the paintings so I returned at a later date and stood in awe looking at his paintings. One is owned by Danny Elfman whose music I enjoy. If you haven't visited, don't miss it, and it's free!! By the way, when is the next Seattle tiki central party?

E

Tiki-Riviera...I think you've been at a couple of the same events/parties that I've attended but I still don't know who you are! Maybe that will change in 2005 when someone decides to get the Seattle people together again.

I'm a big Elfman fan too. I must not miss the Ryden exhibit...thanks for the info.

D

hey! anytime you want to stop by, just give a call or email, and we'll blend up a few drinks! and if you promise not to get Play Doh in the carpet, you can mold up a couple of tikis with my cool christmas gift!

i've still not been to The Frye, soon i hope!

I'm late responding, but yes I did attend the show and very much liked it. There were a good number of his works there and reading the owners was interesting as well (e.g. Tim Biskup).

Here's another "me too" on some sorta Mucky Muck event. Other than a Ryden exhibit field trip. Oh, and not another "knit-tiki" party. I'm pretty much a crochet person through and through.

Pages: 1 7 replies