Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

SHAG artwork to be fetured next year for Disneyland's 50th!!!!

Pages: 1 6 replies

Hello fellow Tiki Centralites...
I knew this information for a while and was dying to post it. I didn't want to get in trouble for it though. I found out that Shag was contracted to create retro artwork for next year's Disneyland anniversary. As far as I know, this wasn't Tiki Room specific, just general Disneyland. I posted a hint of this in my last Shag/Tiki Room post. We'll, the cat is out of the bag (and it wasn't me). According to Mouse Planet, Disney employees were given the following information:
"The Gallery closes on January 2 to remove the Haunted Mansion exhibit. This coincides with the date the Haunted Mansion Holiday closes.
The Gallery closes for the entire month of January, and reopens in early February with the first of a three-part exhibit series honoring Disneyland's 50th Anniversary.
The first exhibit features Fantasyland and the Disney princesses.
The second exhibit, scheduled to premiere in May, focuses on the remaining three original lands of Disneyland. This exhibit features a lot of Shag's retro artwork
A third exhibit featuring artwork by Thomas Kinkade debuts tt the end of summer 2005.
Most of the exhibit artwork, including concept art from four original lands, become available on the Print on Demand system."

So there you have it. The first official word on this. I have only heard of one specific piece of work that sounds very nice, as well as a certain piece of merchandise that people are going to go nuts over. Anyways, like I said before, I will post information as I can. All I can say for now is SAVE YOUR PENNIES!!!
Your friend,
Louis

I can see the Shag connection, but Thomas Kincaide???

there's stuff I don't have to worry about spending too much money on!

Thomas Kincaide's artwork looks like something my grandmother would like....

On 2004-12-07 12:04, Atomobile wrote:
Thomas Kincaide's artwork looks like something my grandmother would like....

I can't say too much about the "Painter of Light" because I have several blood relatives who like his "work"! (unfortunately)

On 2004-12-07 12:50, dangergirl299 wrote:
I can't say too much about the "Painter of Light" because I have several blood relatives who like his "work"! (unfortunately)

My family can't understand why I dislike Kinkade so much. "But you were an art history major -- you're supposed to like art!" :roll:

Thomas Kinkade....ack....We just got done bashing him in our History of art class, anyways.

Kinkade did something with Disneyland a few months back, basically he sat on Main Street and painted the hub (where the Walt statue is.) It makes sense he would do other pieces.

I heard that Shag hated the way he was treated at Disneyland, it doesn't make sense that he would go back, maybe they shelled out the big bucks.

Also, a lot of stuff that gets printed on mouseplanet.com, miceage.com, mouseinfo.com, never comes to pass, I'd take it with a grain of salt for sure.

A

I just used the Mouse Planet article as an excuse to divulge this information. I figured since they published it, the whole world was aware now. I actually heard about his involvement about a month ago. I asked Shag about his dealing with Disney and he wasn't unhappy. His contract with Disney allows for Disneyland to continue selling Enchanted Tiki Room merchandise until the end of this year. Shag figured the stuff would sell out before the end of this year and there would be no more merchandise. He was surprised to see new merchandise continue to be released so late in the year. What Disney is doing is cranking out every piece of merchandise that they had agreed on and even a few extra that they have the right to release.
The deal with next year's 50th merchandise is a done deal. In fact he has already created a certain piece of art. I don't know how many more he is doing or if all the merchandise will be based on this specific piece. I asume there will probably be more paintings, but I don't have that information. I also know of a piece of merchandise that he designed that is right up our alley.
Just like the Enchanted Tiki Room paintings, they will use this one (or more) piece of art and create merchandise around it. The details will unfold as the time comes closer. I just wanted to let you know that this is a done deal and not a rumor. If you are a fan of retro, save your pennies. Look for lots of amazing retro Kevin designed merch along with Shag's. There will be some Enchanted Tiki Room specific merchandise from Kevin. I hope there will be something for Inner Space!
Your friend,
Louis

Pages: 1 6 replies