Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Kahiki Outlet Store Query

Pages: 1 7 replies

C

The Kahiki web site says the outlet store offers: "In addition, we have a limited supply of memorabilia from the restaurant available (Sorry, no mail orders)"... Anyone in the area know the goodies involved? The site also announced some partnership to sell their frozen foods throughout Canada, so Slacks Ferret better have some General Tsao's waiting for me this summer...

HT

I left a message, and e-mailed them. I'm going to Pittsburgh for the holidays, and if they have a lot of worthwhile stuff, I'd be willing to pick it up for TC'ers. I'll psot a response when i get one from them.

Went there today. They have a really nice painted exterior similiar to the Kahiki also a nice Kahiki sign thats visible from the I-270 freeway. The inside has tons of refrigerated foods all at discount prices. I picked up some broccoli beef that feeds 4 people for $5.99. They had General Tso's Chicken too! As far as memorabilia is concerned they had lots of tiki mugs (the later ugly type ones), some early barrel mugs with the kahiki inscription on the side, a few small bowls and a few of the large volcano bowls. I bought 2 of these since they were marked down from 29.99 to $16.99. Lots of postcards for 10 cents each and that was about it. I talked to the nice lady who worked there and she said there would be more stuff coming out but that I would have to check back periodically. Also, they plan on bringing the 2 BIG Moari heads that were in front of the original restaurant to the front of this place as well as a waterfall. They were putting up bamboo railing when I went there today. They look like they have big plans for the front of the building. The inside had a lot of tikis around the refrigeration section and the outer walls. The big tiki/waterfall when you first entered the Kahiki can be seen in an office area that was locked at the time. It sure was nice visiting old friends again.

HT

Hey, can you post pics of the mugs you picked up? Thanks! I still might head out there.

I plan on making it there on Thursday, I'll let you know if they have any other items for sale.

S
Sabina posted on Sat, Apr 2, 2005 6:33 AM

We were just through Columbus briefly on our midwest trip. On the way back home, we stopped off at the new 'Kahiki outlet store'.

It's a deeply conflicting experience. On the one hand, I saw artifacts from the restaurant I thought I'd never see again- and that almost brought tears to my eyes. There were some of the high backed rattan 'leaf' chairs, lamps, specific Tikis that I could remember exactly where they used to be! But on the other hand all were in this very white showroom sort of storefront with dropped ceilings, tile floors, fourecent lights, and unbearably white walls.

Apparently they are working on changing all that, their 'designer', whoever that might be, is scheduled to come in and begin to make even their outlet store more coherent, and way less white. We were there not long after they had just hooked the fountain you'll see below up to water, but it wasn't running the day we were there.

It's interesting, in that they clearly are playing on who they used to be- whether that be for branding, or nostalgia, or even genuine appreication, incorportating Tikis with large glass floats on their heads into a staircase for example in the front entranceway near the fountain. Yet knowing that the REAL Kahiki is gone forever, and the process by which these shards got here feels really strange.

I am however, glad to see old friends again, and if this new Kahiki is going to try to create even a small area where those who remember the restaurant can come and remember that's probably about as good as we can hope for for now. Perhaps someday, that could change- although even that would also be new, as the old is irreplacable.

The fountain, whose name I never knew at the time, is apparently named "George". He's behind a locked glass door in the main entranceway to the Kahiki offices- but the kind saleswoman took us in to say hi and let us take pictures of him. You can see him behind glass as you enter the store.

Here's a picture without the glass interfering-

He should be getting plants around his base very soon.

The actual outlet store has no, I repeat NO artifacts from the restaurant for sale, no menus (all but a few went during the closing night party apparently), no napkins, no dishes, no matchbooks, no structural elements, and no Tikis. The only thing they did have were Kahiki postcards- only one type, (I'll picture it later). And small leis.

On the other hand, they did have 3 mug designs (the skull, headhunter, and a kahiki barrel) which are a story. Apparently the Kahiki's old mugmaker (she didn't know who) searched them out and is recasting mugs for them- which I will photograph when I get them unpacked.

The new mugs are not marked in any way to differentiate them as being different than the old mugs from the restaurant- although one of the glazes felt a little different to me. Each of the mugs came with a Kahiki stir paddle. I found 2 that seemed to be the older(?) concave decorations and darker green plastic, and several with the newer(?) convex decorations and lighter green plastic.

Mainly, the showroom is built around a central set of freezers for all the Kahiki nibbles. They also had several Trader Vic's syrups- such as Rock sugar, Orgeat, and even Mai Tai mix.

So two more last pictures; one of the sign alongside the Columbus beltway (you can see the highway in the picture)

and the front of the kahiki plant, where the outlet store and offices are-

If they actually do bring out the old Moai to flank the entrance way, it'll at least pay tribute to the form, if not the substance of the Kahiki.

I should also mention that the saleswoman said they had taken out some advertising on Columbus radio station(s?) about the outlet store. Columbus folks might want to keep their ears open.

[ Edited by: Sabina on 2005-04-02 06:38 ]

[ Edited by: Sabina on 2005-04-02 06:40 ]

E

When we visited last weekend we also were able to purchase the drink bowl and the volcano bowl along with the other mugs. The folks their told us that more mugs were in the works to be sold. I don't know if they are going to be a new design or more of the orginal style.They said to watch the website, as talks were still going on with their mug maker.
I might add that we drove out to the plant on a whim. Our plan was to go junking through the Richmond IN area. When we noticed how close we were to Columbus, we figured, what the heck, lets go! Now I had no directions what so ever. We just drove into Columbus got off on the first exit and were of course totally lost. Spotted a small bait and tackle shop and stopped in. Although the owner didn't know what the heck the Kahiki was, he thought he had heard something about the place on the radio. This kind man, not only looked up the phone number, but called Kahiki, found out that they were closing in less than an hour, told the man on the other end of the line that some out of towners were on their way. He then drew a map for us with great landmarks. We made it over to the plant in about 15 or 20 mins. Now that's a nice man!

TJ

I have just posted pictures of the interior of the new Kahiki store. The pictures are in the "Locating Tiki" forum under the title "Kahiki, Columbus OH (restuarant).
I have also listed all of the items for sale (mugs, necklaces etc) and an address if you want to buy direct because the prices are great!

Pages: 1 7 replies