Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

As a kid, how did you imagine yourself as an adult?

Pages: 1 40 replies

Not sure if we all thought about the Jetson's life...maybe we imagined ourselves in that time...fat and happy, or as a football player, or a Playboy bunny (or married to one)

I expected to have an Austin Healy, Sunbeam Tiger, or Astin Martin. I always imagined myself listening to Van Morrison.

Luckilly he's kept making music and I do listen to him, but in a station wagon.

What about you?

T

I thought I would always be 'punk rock' and counterculture, never get tired of my tattoo. I never imagined I would tun into a sell-out yuppie in a condo. Ha ha!

Everything is right on schedule except for the rich part.

E

You know I would have NEVER pictured myself as the yuppie I am today.
As a kid in the big flat middle of no-where section of IL. I read National Geographic and dreamed of being a great nature photographer, Then during the 70's I was into the Mother Earth Mags. This proved useful when in 1977 at 18yrs old I married my wonderful husband. Those were some lean years, but also some of the very best. We made or grew everything we could. Looking back I wouldn't change a thing.

I thought I'd stay thin!

I stayed thin, the hopes that I had the genetic combination that would lead to immortality, well I'm still hoping the clock stops without reaching zero.

Well, first off, I'd be able to buy a ticket to the moon base we'd have in place by 2000.
Also, I really thought that once me and my more reasonable friends (I assumed kids were like us all over the world ) grew up, there'd be no more war.
Other than that, I didn't really think about my future in particular.

D

Well,I thought that I would have been an astronaut,but with my notoriously weak math skills,that dream never came to fruition.That,and the fact that there were no women astronauts at the time-thank heavens times have changed.

V
virani posted on Wed, Dec 8, 2004 7:42 AM

I'm still a kid.

I never thought I would own a whole house-full of stuff. I used to take pride that everything I owned would fit in the back of my truck. I'm not sure I could get all of my tiki stuff in the back of a truck, let alone Marian's shoes.
KG

N

I had hoped to drive around America in a paneled van with a wise cracking parrot on my shoulder solving mysteries. At least I got the parrot part now.

All of these are soooo me! Fun topic!

I always figured I'd be a p.i., driving an exotic car and living in a tropical evnorinment. (Well two out of three aint bad!)

Throughout junior high and high school, I figured I'd be a star pilot or a writter, a novelist or even a war correspondent.

I remain a big kid - a tiki-loving, motorhead ocean boy...a long way from any beach.

And thinner! Who would have thought that a skinny-ass like me would chunk out!

once when i was sick when i was about 15 i drew a couple pages to a comic book where i imagined myself in the future.

my represenation was fairly accurate, except now in reality i have less hair and don't drive a silver "mad-maxed" station wagon through the desert.

M

I though for sure that I'd be either a Rock Star or a Director when I grew up. Of course, I also thought I'd still have all my hair and be thin.

T

I always though I'd be a secret agent traveling the world like James Bond.

I'd tell you if it came true or not, but then I would have to kill you.

KK

I had hoped to look like one of Basil Wolverton's gnarlier characters, not just a "normal person".
Is it too late?

I wanted to be a "Scientist" when I Grew-Up but nothing more specific then that, so I guess I fulfilled my childhood dreams, I just never imagined the "Middle Management" portion of the reality...

I knew that I would live in San Francisco and drive a convertible, and I wouldn't be a mother. Those came true.

I did not think I'd still be single and renting with roommates.

I've always had a feeling I was destined for Greatness. I have a good number of semi-Great accomplishments under my belt, but I am NOT a famous writer married to George Michael, as I imagined in high school. (thank God!)

I just hoped it would never happen, but now that I am one, I find it amazing what adults get away with. They really were a different breed when I was growing up. Now adults seem to have less sense than kids.

Trader Woody

On 2004-12-08 15:55, Trader Woody wrote:
I find it amazing what adults get away with. They really were a different breed when I was growing up.

Were adults really all that different then, or did they just appear that way because we were kids at the time?

H

I pictured myself with red hair.

M

I thought I'd be teaching high school theatre. Shame there aren't any more theatre programs at public high schools.

(Arts & music: always the first to go in the budget cuts)

On 2004-12-08 16:13, cynfulcynner wrote:

Were adults really all that different then, or did they just appear that way because we were kids at the time?

as Charlie Brown's mother would say:
"Mwa wah wa wah mwawawa Wah."

K

I was another one of the millions of future rockstars. Very few turn out to become hugely famous world-traveling rock god idols. I was certain I would be among that few. I'm not sure why.

Now I'm glad it didn't go that way honestly.

I'd hate to give up my anonymity in exchange for people diggin' through my garbage, snapping my picture in my undies through the window, and bugging me everywhere I go.

Besides, rockstars always have some massive crisis to deal with. Bad accounting or thieving management, heroin problems, drunken car accidents.

I don't know. These days "rockstars" seem pretty silly to me.

Damn I'm old.

Ahu

Z

My big plan was to become a Jungle Cruise skipper and Enchanted Tiki Room 'Host' then after that, go on to drive a race car (one of those formula types with the extra wheels at the back, a Tyrrell?) to my job at the zoo. I've done two of those, so that's pretty cool, but neither turned out to be as glamorously flawless as my imaginary version was.
I also had a brilliant scheme to collect carousel animals, and add them to my full size carousel that fit in an extemely large room in my house where I'd throw huge parties & everyone could ride the carousel freely... that's just crazy talk, but the scary part is, if I had the resources today, I'd probably go right out and do that.

T

My goal was to have a VW bug painted to look exactly like 'Herbie the Love Bug'. I went so far as to make a paper model of this.

I still don't understand it.

D

Sebrariki-not crazy at all! We have a kiddie ride of a rocket that we used to have in our condo living room-a big hit with the kiddies! We also purchased a "Ride the Twister" ride that we have yet to refurbish,but we will eventually.The rocket ride was a blast to have,but people kept bothering us for dimes.

D

I apologize,Zebratiki-been a busy day with too much going on.

When we were kids, businessmen didn't wear Taz Ties, and soccer moms were not a the target audiance of Mercedes.

I think we try harder to hold on to the idea of being a kid more than the people older than us.

I thought I'd be an astronaut-with a Genie in my living room!

C

I grew up during the height of the Cold War, in a dysfunctional military family, living at ground-zero on any of dozens of military bases around the world. There wasn't any question about the future; there wasn't one.

I guess that's why I never really had a self-image of what I'd be when I grew up.

I remember my Dad asking about what we did in school one time when he was around (he mostly wasn't and that was a good thing). I told him we had another duck and cover drill. We used to have a lot of those back then. He told me that the siren on base was different when it was the real thing. We knew this. He said to do whatever the teachers said as long as it was a drill, but if it was real to ignore them and to go outside and look at the sky.

Thank the ghods we live in safer, saner days now, eh?

Cheers!

C

On 2004-12-08 16:37, Ku Ku Ahu wrote:
Besides, rockstars always have some massive crisis to deal with. Bad accounting or thieving management, heroin problems, drunken car accidents.

... and how is this different from the lives we ended up living again?

I thought I'd be Gene Kelly's newest dance partner and have Barbie's wardrobe circa 1958-1967. Also thought I'd be a fashion designer, teacher or writer.

I always wanted to be a veterinarian. Then I found out that it's more difficult to get into vet school than medical school, and it's really freaking expensive, so I went into graphic arts instead. Still love animals, maybe I'll do some volunteer work at the animal re-hab center.

I was pretty sure that women were married by 23(since my parents were). When I got to be around that age I kind of laughed at myself for thinking I'd be married by then. Wait a minute, I was engaged at 24, not far off.

Adults always seemed way to serious. My brother and I had far too much fun to ever grow up, we still do, and it's getting a little easier to get the older generation to relax. My kids will probably be the sort that's all practical and rolls their eyes and gets embarrassed by Mum and Dad. I mean more than normal.

F

I aspired to be some kind of backwoods, trailer, hermit type with a Fu Man Chu and a bitchin' mullet. I would occaisionally cruise into the closest town on my pieced together motorcycle for spam and Kool-aid.

In contrast, adulthood finds me enjoying what is truly good in life, "To crush enemies, see the dead dragged before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!" Oh wait, I'm a graphic artist not a barbarian!

-FB

On 2004-12-09 18:23, FreakBear wrote:

"To crush enemies, see the dead dragged before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"

Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

tee hee!

[ Edited by: dangergirl299 on 2004-12-09 18:33 ]

J

I always wanted to be a professional baseball player so after I played little league one year I sadly realized that I sucked...and had no intention of taking steroids, so I moved on.

I next wanted to be Indiana Jones; not an archaeologist but the Indiana Jones. I was going to travel the earth getting into all kinds of adventures, beat up some Nazis, wear the fedora, crack the bullwhip, etc. but again my dream didn't pan out. Sure I had the hat and a super nice 8-foot brown leather whip (that I actually used one time to beat the hell out of a neighborhood bully with) - I was stuck in rural Maryland on a dead-end street surrounded by cornfields - the adventure part was severely lacking.

Then I was going to be a writer - I was going to write adventure novels...make a lot of money, live in a big scary Victorian with a wrought iron fence like Stephen King, etc. Then one day I got a case of writer's block that lasted 22 years now.

Finally, I was going to be a director. I shot a couple movies on Super 8, made a lot more using the family’s VHS camera, won an award in high school for a short film, went to college for film, won 2 awards for music videos, shot and edited 2 short films on 16mm, graduated from college and now...I'm a video editor for a TV station.

A major letdown! Damn I wish I had stayed the course with my Indiana Jones studies!

Hey Where's my hover car?!
Do any of you remember those old science movies that were a couple of reels long. A bald guy in a white lab coat always always hosted them, and they used little cartoon segments to help illustrate what-ever the topic was. I loved those movies and they really got me interested in science.
Mel

I clearly pictured myself playing quaterback
for the Kansas City Chiefs and leading them to many last second come from behind victories in the Super Bowl. Also, I always
promised my mother I was going to live with her until I was 99.

Johntiki said "Then I was going to be a writer - I was going to write adventure novels...make a lot of money, live in a big scary Victorian with a wrought iron fence like Stephen King, etc. Then one day I got a case of writer's block that lasted 22 years now."

OMG! It's the long lost twin brother that I KNEW was out there somewhere!!!

Pages: 1 40 replies