Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Robert Drasnin - 'Voodoo'

Pages: 1 17 replies

I've just ordered this title which was reissued a couple of years ago. I've read that its a good one!

Any opinions?

Chris

K
Kenike posted on Wed, Dec 8, 2004 5:52 AM

This is an INCREDIBLE album...one of my favorites. Exotica at it's best!!

V
virani posted on Wed, Dec 8, 2004 7:48 AM

Just the perfect album to figure out the Exotica style.
Perfect

D

Definately one of THE BEST!!! Right from the first track, you'll feel like you want to be in a dark bar with a mai tai in your hand!!!

Mighty fine record, and one of the must own's. If I were to make you a top 25 exotica record list, it should be among the "upper's". BUY!

But first, BUY a grammophone, if you plan to seek out the worlds most beautiful music (exotica) you can't settle with military inventions (CD), invest in long playing records LPs that has atmosphere, style, smell, class, ambience and an attitude.

Dog gone!
M

Hey chris! (I just spoke with a new zealander this morning in LA...funny) I'm guessing you like music with a username like that, no? Welcome aboard, mate, you made a mighty fine purchase with that CD (or record, belly - he didn't specify :) ). It will stay in your CD player (or on your record player) for some time.

Hope you're enjoying the opposite seasons...

"Hey, at least I'm housebroken."

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2004-12-15 02:00 ]

T

Robert Drasnin was the composer for the music soundtracks of three Hawaii Five-0 episodes. They were all from the (final) twelfth season (generally considered the series' worst). There is a small amount of commentary on them here:
http://www.mjq.net/fiveo/5-0log12.htm
The episodes were numbers 270, 271, and 274.

This little tidbit of information may not be a huge advancement in the field of Drasnin appreciation, but I like drawing connections between one sphere of Polynesian Pop and another, and this is just the sort of connection I get a kick out of. Is Hawaii Five-0 tiki? No. But it's ... Hawaii Five-0! (Da-da-da-da, DA DA!)

T

Robert has done a TON of film and TV work.

Check it out:

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0006046/

[ Edited by: tikibars 2005-10-31 17:41 ]

He also has an "official" website at..........

http://www.robertdrasnin.com

Check it out!!

Jeff

I just bought the CD re-issue of "Voodoo" and paid more than the going rate for music CDs.

I think that this CD is getting more and more rare and hard to find.

It's worth every penny that I paid for it. Voodoo and Voodoo II are two of the best exotica recordings that we'll ever have.

HAPPY TIKI HALLOWEEN IN 2007 !!

H

I scored a copy of Voodoo! at the '05 Hukilau. The source media sounds like an old copy of the album. It has pops and scratch marks! Although it adds to the "vintage" sound, I wish that I could score a cleaner copy. :)

A Hui Hou,
Hanapepe

On 2007-11-04 06:09, Hanapepe wrote:
I scored a copy of Voodoo! at the '05 Hukilau. The source media sounds like an old copy of the album. It has pops and scratch marks! Although it adds to the "vintage" sound, I wish that I could score a cleaner copy. :)

A Hui Hou,
Hanapepe

If you are looking for a cleaner version of the original Voodoo album seek out the CD "Exotic Excursion." It was made from the original Master tapes and sounds INCREDIBLE. Unfortunately Pickwick wanted to keep this in their budget price CD's so they deleted 2 tracks. It is still worth seeking out though. I have some available in my eBay store and they are even signed by Robert Drasnin. PM me if interested.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

H

Mahalo, Jeff.

I appreciate the info and will look into it.

A Hui Hou...
Hanapepe

A
aku76 posted on Mon, Feb 2, 2009 9:09 AM

This album in VG+ condition (cover and vinyl) sold saturday on ebay for $202! I was watching it but that's out of my price range!

D

Yes, I saw that!!! And it wasn't even a stereo copy if I recall.

holy bejebus batman

On 2009-02-02 09:09, aku76 wrote:
This album in VG+ condition (cover and vinyl) sold saturday on ebay for $202! I was watching it but that's out of my price range!

:o :o :o :o :o

WOW!!!!

Somebody wanted this reeeeeaaaaalllll bad!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

You mean two somebodies wanted this real bad!

Another bidder must have been prepared to go all the way up to $201 and still got outbid.

Reckon I'll just have to make do with the CD version for now ...

Pages: 1 17 replies