Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

carving

Pages: 1 3 replies

Aloha,
I am interested in carving a tiki. I am going to make a mask out of layers of styrofoam sheet and airbrush it just for my home bar purposes. I want to carve a piece of wood. Answer me this, please, what type of wood to use for a first time carve? Since I do not have any carving specific tools what household/garage tools-besides a framing hammer can I use?
Mahloz

B

Welcome to TC, Thecaravanshaker. Get yourself a palm tree log, abbage palm works well. get your chainsaw and what chisels you have. Don't worry about drying the palm log. Get a marker and draw your tiki on the log.
Stop here and take a few pictures to show later.
Start with a straight line down the center of the log and work from there. Just draw a tiki face and then cut it out with the chainsaw, just the outline.
Stop here also and take pictures. we don't want to mis any steps.
Then take your chisel and define your tiki features.
Stop and take more pic's for later
pretty soon you will have a tiki
take more pic's and ask us how to post them because we want to see them so we can help you do it right.Good luck and I can't wait to see the first pic's.
Come on now , Don't be shy. We all did it and so can you.

Benzart,
Thanks for the reply. I will put the info to use, as soon as I can locate a piece of palm log. I live in north east Georgia, almost an hour from the South Carolina border. I do not have any clue as to where I can find some palm.

Any wood is good, TCS. Make due with whatever's nearby. I doubt you'll find palm, but tiki carvers use all kinds of wood. Talk to the local tree trimmers, if any. Good luck, post lots. Let us know how it's going.

A-A

Pages: 1 3 replies