Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Lagoon Lounge Uke Jam III

Pages: 1 8 replies

P
pablus posted on Wed, Dec 8, 2004 2:52 PM

Bigger, Better, More Food!!

Yikes what a night.
Several guests of honor including Bob Bennedetto and his fab wife, Cindy. Bob is the premier arch top guitar maker of all time. He has a few pieces in the Smithsonian.

He loved the Test Pilots. My kinda guy.

Also, and Wierd Unc should dig this - Bob brought over some MINER wines. He's making a guitar for the owner of the vineyard and using the wine as the stain for the guitar. In return MINER is creating a Bennedetto wine. Cool stuff.

Also, special guests were Doug and Dino from MelBay. They were actually the last to leave. Dino jammed with us on the upright and Doug is slowly coming around to my ideas of doing a series of new uke books and DVDs. The Beachbum's Own helped him right along in my little hypnoworld. (insert evil laughter)

I'd like for our next jam to be a special night for the TC ohana. Solidify the Tampa scene and nab some of the east coasters to make the scene.

The Haole Cats get better every time I hear them. That being said I have to mention the awful manlust that overtakes them when they see my little Koa ukulele.
It's pretty embarrasing. :wink:

Kanekila has 37 steel guitars.
I haven't seen him play the same one twice.

The conversation was great.
The music was incredible.
The weather was perfect.

And if, as martiki says, "drinking makes you witty," then I was one witty guy.

I'll try to get some pictures and/or video loaded up in a couple of days.

Lagoon Lounge Uke Jam IV coming soon.

K

Pablus -- thank you and Angie SOOOO much for the fine, fine hospitality Tuesday! It was the best party yet, and really a lot of fun. It was great to meet everyone, and the jams just keep getting better. Dino plays a mean upright bass, and is one heckuva nice cat, too. Please ask him to relocate here, OK? Thanks for all the props to the Haole Kats, too! You're too kind...

Actually, I have five steel guitars (eight, if you want to count necks indiviually) -- it just LOOKS like 37! :) When I get new strings for my reso, I'll bring that one back out again. I can't do Sand or some of those other tunes on it, but it sure sounds sweet.

Anyway, looking forward to a TC Ohana luau. It would be cool to record some of it (I think - depends on how many Painkillers I've consumed). Maybe a Saturday would be a good time. We'd just have to not book a job for that night.

Many mahalos again, braddah!

Kanekila

HK

Once again, many thanks to Pablus & Angela for opening their home to us - a fabulous time was had by all at The Lagoon Lounge!

It was great to meet & jam with a few more musicians. I'm already wondering when the next one's gonna be...

J

pablus, I'm new here although tiki central has been in my "favorites" folder for months. I had to come here to personally thank you because through your hospitality and tiki knowledge (for lack of a better description) my friend and fellow musician Dino has come back to the North East finally interested (actually he seems down right excited) to play "tiki music" with me and my uke!

Carl

K

Captian Morgan! Dino was telling me about you. Too cool. Yeah, it's quite infectious, once a person sits down in one of these jams, and really gets into the spirit of this music.

I hope that you guys will be able work up some things, and start playin them at parties, etc. URB and ukulele sound so sweet together.

Hey - maybe you can make it down with him the next times he comes down to Tampa?

Aloha pumehana,
Kanekila

I told The Capt, next time Pablus fires up the Lagoon Lounge, I'm there and I bringing him with me. The Haole Kats CD has been imported into my iTunes and I even added a new music catagory....
Yep you guessed it TIKI!!!!!!

Peace,
Dino

P

Can't remember the TC moniker of THIS dapper gentleman from Kahiki Land. I'd tell you his real name but he might have to hunt you all down and jab you with drumsticks.

GlamJ on snare. RustyKey soaking in the vibe while someone plays his new Mele Baritone Uke. AND INTRODUCING... tikiconvert - on the thumpin' slappin' boomin' upright.

sigh The Lagoon Lounge is more than I ever hoped it would be. Music and merriment that take me back to the islands. I'm gonna go make a Demerara Dry Float this afternoon and weep with joy.

I've got some video to upload too - according to GlamJ.

Welcome Capt. Morgan!
We heard a lot about you and I suspected that you were either a lurker or already posting. Make sure you hit the Kahiki Moon. I can't wait to see it and I'm trying to work in a Nor'easter sometime during snow season. I've got some serious gravitational pull I'd like to use to my advantage for once on a snowy sled run.

[ Edited by: pablus on 2004-12-11 10:45 ]

Wow - sounds like a fun time!

My band is going on hiatus until February, freeing up my time considerably, so lemme know when the next one is!

I (as the rest of The Kats have already done) would like also to thank you and your lovely wife for yet another wonderful experience at your (Micro- Mini Hukilau)extravaganza... The picture you posted scared the hell out of me as I have to remember not to view things like that so early in the morning. Love the people you have given us a chance to hook up with and your kind words toward our music. Let's discuss recording some of your material soon !!!! Again, many mahalos and looking forward to the next installment in these (soon to be historic) events. Aloha my friend !!!!!!!

Pages: 1 8 replies