Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Big Bro's Spanish Tiki Mug Sales Party -New Info for Attendees! Read!

Pages: 1 38 replies

To refresh everyone’s memory, I posted this on 2004-05-11 :  

“The success of my previous auctions has convinced me that these foreign "El Tiki mugs" will be appreciated among the brethren, so I will proceed with my plan to import them. This will be my first step to get financially involved in the Tiki business, I hope that eventually it will give me a stronger leg to stand on in the U.S.

I dug up the manufacturer, and they require a minimum order of 12 per piece. These puppies are not cheap to begin with, plus the shipping is expensive, so I will have to offer these wares for around 50.- dollars a piece (a bowl like the above for more) to make a profit, I'm afraid. That will put them into a "serious collectors only" category, but since I have an exclusive deal with the maker I hope to be successful in that bracket. The ones I sold so far were singular samples.

I will not be taking any pre-orders, because it will take a while for these to be available. I will go to Spain to visit the kiln the beginning of June, then they have to be shipped, and I have to set up shop in LA., but will be working in Germany for several months still. So these "precioussss" will not be available to the public until the end of the year, maybe some earlier on e-bay so I can finance the operation."

M

Good luck (and good thing I can;t make it so I won;t be SORELY tempted). The Spanish mugs are so incredible that they transcend ZAZZ-they are Ultra-ZAZZ!!!!

Wellllll...everybody, don't get too excited now! To let the interested (if there are any) see what the Spanish loot looks like, here's an attempt to actually post an IMAGE of the happy Tiki family:

If you can see this, here are the painful facts:

Class of Kon-Id, 2004
(From Left top to bottom right:)

TARINGA $40.-/ FUNNY FACE $40.-/ BAMBOO FACE $50.-/BUCKY $40.-/TAMI MASK $40.-

FEATHER FACE $69.-/ KU REEF BOWL $69.-/ MAORI MUG $69.-/ RONGO $50.-/
HYPNO FACE $40.-

I left the Reef Bowl all in the blue base glaze because adding brown to the Ku faces made the mold too globby, sacrificing sculptural quality for color. The mold on the Maori Mug is new and much better detail than the one I had before, really like Maori Moko. Hypno face is very sharp, too. And the paint job on all is superb handicraft. But the best is that they all have MY Kon-Id logo underneath:

Kon -Id is the logo for the upcoming
SVEN A. KIRSTEN GALLERY FOR THE KONTEMPORARY IDOL (with a nod to Bill Westenhaver) which will be a website first, then maybe a real location later...

(The KON-ID logo was rendered by Kevin Kidney after my concept:
Turn it 90 degrees clockwise, and Voila, it's a modern primitive mask!)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-12-13 15:17 ]

Oh no, it's those red Xes again...what did I do wrong? Somebody, can this be fixed? I don't wanna tease y'all.

TM

No pics Sven....I'd love to see them

I want 5 of the red-X tiki mugs. Send them to:

404 File Not Found Lane
Blue Screen of Death, Washington, 40404

Mahalo!

Sven's Tiki Mug Sales Party and the Lucky Tiki TC Party - on the same night!!!

My brain is going to explode!!!

Yeah, mine too. The Lucky Tiki opening was planned for the 17th.

I am curious to see them, too.

S

Sven, try using a different host for the images, one that doesnt require a login. Try http://www.imageshack.us

p.s. Its free. I used it to host the above image.

[ Edited by: sinner on 2004-12-13 13:57 ]

Thanks sinner, that was easy!
And many thanks to Bobby for eliminating the scheduling conflict and pushing the TC Lucky Tiki opening to the 21st. :)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-12-13 15:32 ]

Now that the date is nearing, I am getting a little worried about having eneough mugs for y'all. If a lot of people plan to buy one of each in one swoop, meaning all ten styles ($500.-!), the wares will be gone pronto and leave many others empty handed and frustrated.

This event is supposed to make Tiki lovers happy :) though. So lets all be humble in the spirit of x-mas, and avoid any pushing and shoving around the mug table with this system I came up with:

Here's my idea. It will stay "first come-first serve" (and cash only!), but on a limited number basis. Everybody who gets here takes a number when they arrive. Then he/she'll get a Mai Tai, and can mingle and enjoy my collection, about which I will happily give testimony. After an hour or so, I will unveil the mugs, ta-dah! Then:

Each number will only get to pick TWO MUGS (or is free to only pick one), but in a repetitive turn, so that when all the numbers are through, number 1 can have his pick at the next two, and so on.

This is the fairest thing I can think of, it might sound silly, but I am hoping that this way all that want a mug will get one.

Plus I am planning to sell my TIKI ARCHEOLOGY documentary, this time on DVD ($20.-), and, IF the shipment arrives from Europe on time, also sell the TIKI ICON books ($10.-), (signed if desired).

Those are many cool mugs, but I would really like one of the MAORI MUGS. Please pen me in and let me know when and how you want the $s.

Thank god we don't have to pick a number for the drinks!
Hope I can make it Sven!

On 2004-12-13 16:17, Raffertiki wrote:
Those are many cool mugs, but I would really like one of the MAORI MUGS. Please pen me in and let me know when and how you want the $s.

Sorrry, RT, out of fairness, no preorders/reserved items. You just have to be there in person, with enough cash for whatever your wishlist adds up to, and see if the ones you want are left when your number comes up. If not, I will take orders for the next shipment.

Oh God I hope Silverlake Tiki Island is in South Florida...is there a backup plan for later or do I have to go to Barcelona myself? And I will do that if I must. Must have those mugs, waiting to long. Must find passport, have to go now, thanks for pictures. Seriously Big Bro, go back, get more and hurry, 12 of each is clearly not enough, there are plenty of us mug collectors out there for a bigger order. Hurry please, I have so little else:-) and I will get a friggin' passport and fly there myself if necasary and Japan isn't far behind Tikifish, giddee up, or else:-)

Holy smokes! I sure hope someday, somehow, someone in Seattle can get a crack at those.

Great mugs Sven,
If I were over in your neck of the woods I would be dropping quite the wad of cash. Sounds like it will be a great party!

I must say, I was in great need of your icon book last week, my Podiatrist wanted to know all about tiki. At least I was able to let him look through the hardcover edition. I'll be keeping my eyes out for it, I'd like to keep one in my purse for such emergencies :)

V

Great mugs.
That will sound probably funny, but is there a way for european to get those mugs ? a european distributor ? by the tabou in Berlin ? Can I do it ?

Here is the problem with getting the mugs from Spanish Tiki Bars: They do not use all of the specific mugs that I picked. They might have some of them, and also have others that I have not ordered yet, but then they also do not sell all the styles they use. And they sell the ones that are for sale for a pretty penny, too. Probably not as much as I do, but my shipping and customs is higher than the actual product, so I make less than 50% profit.
I am getting them straight from the manufacturer, who demands an initial minimum order of twelve per style. That means you would have to invest a lot, and resell to the very limited European Tiki Mug collector market. I doubt that the Tabou Tiki folks will want to deal with that, they have a lot of work on their hands already.

Maybe we can meet in Spain in Spring 2005 when I plan a 14 day expedition to shoot the bars and mugs for my "Aloha Amigo- Tiki in Spain" book.

V

On 2004-12-14 14:38, bigbrotiki wrote:
Maybe we can meet in Spain in Spring 2005 when I plan a 14 day expedition to shoot the bars and mugs for my "Aloha Amigo- Tiki in Spain" book.

sounds good to me. I'd love to and could be an assistant if you need. Except the 19th to 24th April, where I should dj exotica in a festival in Bourges.

Some more thoughts:
The way the Tiki community has grown since the BOT came out, it is impossible for me to remember all the faces and names that I have met. I always fear it is interpreted as arrogance if I do not remember a name or the context of the meeting, but I am just really bad at it. AND on Tiki Central, the forum names become so lodged into ones mind, that the real names totally fall under the table. For example, Sabu is Sabu to me, I can remember his real name for a day or so, but then he's Sabu again. For that reason only, and even if it seems geeky, I wanted to suggest NAME TAGS with the TC monnicker first and the normal name underneath. I know, this is very German of me to want to organize this so much, but I think it would also help TCers to strike up a conversation ("Ah, so you're ....") more easily, too.
I promise, I won't make you sit in a circle and introduce yourself!

Also, I am planning a theatrical presentation ceremony for the mugs, since this is the launch of my first Kon-Id Gallery product, if somebody could bring a Digi video camera and video tape that, it would be great.

On 2004-12-15 12:15, bigbrotiki wrote:
Sabu is Sabu to me, I can remember his real name for a day or so, but then he's Sabu again.

Once a Sabu, always a Sabu.
Name tags are a great idea. At TC events, I am always saying to myself, "who's that? and who's that?"
I hope to make this Sven (getting off at work doesn't look good though). I can take the video footage from you and put it up on TC if you like.
(Sending you an email today)

Sorry, but one more organizational improvement, suggested by "anonymous". It will ease my worry (and your need) of loitering in the neighborhood before 6:00 ("Ah, there are those Tiki Bums again!"), we all do not like lines (like at Disneyland's Shag release, or at the Tiki Farm Wacko sales event) and this will make that unneccessary:

"Maybe you could consider a slightly modified approach to your numbering system... For instance, anyone arriving between 6:00 and 7:00 would receive a random number picked out of a hat.....This might discourage people from getting there early and could keep things more relaxed if everyone has the same chance at purchasing."

I like it! Everyone that gets here between 6:00 and 7:00 will get a raffle double ticket on arrival, one to keep, one to put in the hat. Sometime after 7:00, we start the drawing (still a two mug limit per number).

The used ticket will go into a second hat, for the next turn, (but I doubt there will be one).

....my is this complicated. Maybe shipping WOULD have been easier... :)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-12-15 16:03 ]

well - i'm not buying mugs - but i'm gonna contribute some home-made guacamole to the mix!
looking forward to see folks.

On 2004-12-15 12:15, bigbrotiki wrote:
I promise, I won't make you sit in a circle and introduce yourself.

It would be so easy just to walk up and say, Hi, I'm...the old school way. Or, hey Sven, I'm....Have you met so and so?......and then they tell 2 friends , ect.

Don't be shy, people!!! Introduce yourself. It's real easy.(and it saves paper and tree's!!)

p.s. Sven, did you get another couch for Laney??

How did it go? Anybody get exactly what they went for? I was going to go, but unfortunately I was called into work to work a double (only two hours left). Really wanted the Maori mug...maybe next time.

I was at the Tiki Mug party last night and it was awesome!!! Big Bro has an amazing house!!! I was overwhelmed with all of the artifacts he has. I saw many pieces that are in the "Book of Tiki". Sven was very hospitable and friendly. He was ready to answer any questions I had regaurding his collection and Tiki in general. The MAI Tai's where exceptional. I did manage to get 4 mugs (Maori, Feather face, Bamboo face, and Funny face) and I couldn't be Happier!!! Although, I wish I could afford all of them. I also got to meet Bongo Fury & his wife, HakaLugi, Alnshelly, and Divas. It was fun to meet them and they are all very nice people. So I want to thank Sven for such a great Party.
"Tiki Central Rules"
Later,
Spermy

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale on 2004-12-20 10:14 ]

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale on 2004-12-20 10:17 ]

Yes, it was indeed quite the feeding frenzy for those mugs! The Maori one sold out in no time. (Sperm Whale is very lucky to have one of those rare ones!) The initial presentation of the mugs by Sven was very dramatic, complete with dry ice and tribal chantings in the background. There was also an endless stream of Mai Tais being served up to all who desired them.

B

Again here I am stuck in the wrong side of the world here in Florida. I really LOVE that Maori Mug and may have had to beg, borrow, trade, or steal to get it. Sven, over-all that is a Very Nice bunch of Mugs, Congrats.

Sven and Naomi are wonderful hosts. When we arrived vintagegirl brought us a potent Mai Tai mixed to perfection by a mystery bartender. I guess the Sunday night/holiday timing made for a more intimate gathering (everyone went to the Novato Grotto?). Good to see Alnshelly, ModMana, Sperm Whale, Futura Girl, Atomic Coctkail, vintagegirl, King Kukalele, and Surfinannie (whose dad was an important carver that I'm sure we will hear more about). I wish we could have stayed longer.......next time......

Here Sven boils a poor missionary's head down to size before the unveiling of the ceramic idols.

I hope y'all enjoyed the presentation. I kept on going back and putting more dry ice in the mugs during the evening, I had so much fun with the effect.
Bongo, that mysterious Mai Tai mixologist was my roommate, professional bartender and modcom vice-chair Daniel Paul, greatly supported by vintagegirl serving them in her shiny Sarong.
Har har, my evil plan worked! Liquor them up and they will buy buy buy! :wink: Thanks everyone for making my investment rewarding...but indeed, while some people came all the way from San Diego and Ventura, the OC Ohana were sadly absent...too many x-mas parties this time of the year!? Also sadly missed were Luka Grogg (who finally could not make it from Napa) and Humuhumu (who flew up there that day).

Benzart, do not worry, you will get your Maori with the next batch, and so will everybody else who wants one...but do not order here, I will put up a seperate post soon and take your orders.

Bongofury, I dig that voodoo photo, your camera must have sipped some Mai Tais too. But would you also have any slightly more defined images, I'd love too see how the offering looked from "off-stage"?

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-12-21 10:24 ]

M

Sincere thanks to bigbrotiki for opening his incredible home and hosting a really fantastic event. Walking through his house felt very surreal. I've practically memorized every page of the Book Of Tiki, so to see many of those artifacts in person was a real treat.

The new Kon-Id mugs look even better in person! The unveiling of the mugs was quite dramatic with lighting effects and dry ice. As a fairly serious mug collector, I was drooling. Managed to purchase more than I probably should have (but less than I wanted). Mrs. ModMana decided to make this my Christmas gift and I couldn't be happier (did I mention that she's a wonderful woman?). Here's a photo of the mugs in all their glory:

That photo really doesn't come close to doing them justice but it's the only one I took all night. One thing I didn't realize previously is the incredible amount of hand-painted detail on many of these mugs. The manufacturer literally must spend hours on each mug. The Spainiards are certainly coming up with some innovative designs. Impressive.

Besides going nuts over the mugs, we also had a great time just hanging out with new and old TC friends. I expected a bigger turnout but I guess it's just a busy time of year for everyone. For us, it was well worth the drive up from San Diego. Great drinks, great music, great atmosphere, great people.

Looking forward to seeing more as Kon-Id develops. Cheers!

ModMana :drink:

[ Edited by: ModMana on 2004-12-21 01:09 ]

Thanks, Ron! I was half-expecting the heat from the spots below and the shock of the dry ice on the top would crack the glassplate, and the whole loot would crash into the drum, but it held, no problem. Of course I would have pronounced that as an appropriate sacrifice to the gods, for the birth of KON-ID.

Hey Benzart, can you find YOUR Moko face?

8T

Benzart, do not worry, you will get your Maori with the next batch, and so will everybody else who wants one...but do not order here, I will put up a seperate post soon and take your orders.

This is sure good news for those of us in the cold tiki-barren climes so far away from the home of KON_ID. I know just which ones I am going to order. Now I have to be sure not to miss your post Sven.
BTW, your place sure looks awesome from the photos here.

OK, so I'm a little late, but I'm dealing with a film camera here. So here are my scanned photos of the presentation:

The initial unveiling.

Positioning them just so.

The mysterious bunch

A little more brightly lit.

Adding more fuel to the special effects.

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Dec 7, 2006 2:11 PM

I knew about the short internet offering that Sven was doing, and it looked like the second posting from the top, but I don't think that I every heard about the unveiling at the house for one night only, cash only.

The way they were all displayed, looks like it was the only way it should have been done. Hey, if the offer comes up again, i'M bitting this time.

What is the info on TIKI ARCHEOLOGY documentary. Is that the one that is still not out. The Armchair traveling

Who know's, Sven should be rolling into town soon.

Pages: 1 38 replies