Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

buying or trading for Don Da Beachcomber items

Pages: 1 7 replies

G
GECKO posted on Thu, Dec 9, 2004 9:45 PM

Aloha peopo,

I'm hunting so I knew dis is da bes place!
I'm looking for some of Don'z old cocktail mix bottles(empty) like maitai mix etc. Must have the paper logo still on the bottle. if you could send pics of them would be great.

Also the pitcher, and his mugs. Any kine stuff you may have doubles and would like to sell or trade please let me know.

Mahalo

[ Edited by: gecko on 2004-12-09 21:46 ]

TM

Hey Gecko - I know I have an old Don the Beachcomber Mai Tai Mix bottle somewhere. I'm cleaning out the garage this weekend and will look for it. The bottle was never opened. If I remember the label is in great shape. I'll let you know.

TM

Ok, I couldn't resist a challenge. So I went out in the garage because I thought I might know where it was. It was right where I thought it was! A little dusty, but what the heck. Anyway, the label is intact, though there is some stain on the back (see inset). Otherwise it's in pretty good shape. The bottle is full, never opened. If you need it empty, go for it. Maybe you can try mixing a Mai Tai with it. Hmmmm......
Anyway, I think a trade might in order. I think the Tangaroa Mug is super cool! I'm just sayin'. PM me or call or email or post here or whatever, we can work something out if you'd like.

G
GECKO posted on Thu, Dec 9, 2004 10:51 PM

Mahloz Tiki Matt,

If you guys could just email me @ [email protected] would be mo betta ya. I'll email ya brah. I should have mentioned. I already have 2 versions of the Mai Tai and 1 daiquiri

Tanks Plenny!

[ Edited by: gecko on 2004-12-09 22:56 ]

G
GECKO posted on Fri, Dec 10, 2004 9:25 PM

Tanks fo da offa'z so far! keep'um comming. I was asked if I would take anyting else (vintage mugs) and yes I will trade fo'dem to.

mahaloz for your offers

Old topic, but new post:
I've put my grandfather's bottle of Don the Beachcomber Mai Tai mix on ebay.

Here 'tis:
Don the Beachcomber Vintage Tiki Mai Tai Bottle Mix
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250050770182&rd=1&rd=1

On 2006-11-17 12:22, lynxwiler wrote:
Old topic, but new post:
I've put my grandfather's bottle of Don the Beachcomber Mai Tai mix on ebay.

Here 'tis:
Don the Beachcomber Vintage Tiki Mai Tai Bottle Mix
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250050770182&rd=1&rd=1

What year did the UPC come about? Early 70's?
I noticed that at OA a few weeks back, they had several old sealed bottles of DTBC Mixes, and the Mai tai one had a UPC symbol on the label, exactly like the one you are selling. Do you know`what year Granpappy bought that in? The UPC code spawned a discussion about the bottles age, and we were wondering if you had a ballpark estimate. thanks Buzzy

Sorry Buzzy, but there's no telling when Gpa bought the bottle and stuck it in the garage. I wish I knew. I do find it interest that the barcode is printed in such a light shade of cyan. Today's scanning systems prefer darker inks so digital readers can pinpoint the lines more easily.

I did a little research and found this piece of history on barcodes:

First Commercial Use
Bar coding was first used commercially in 1966, but to make the system acceptable to the industry as a whole there would have to be some sort of industry standard. By 1970, Logicon Inc. had developed the Universal Grocery Products Identification Code (UGPIC). The first company to produce barcode equipment for retail trade using (using UGPIC) was the American company Monarch Marking (1970), and for industrial use, the British company Plessey Telecommunications (1970).

In 1972, a Kroger store in Cincinnati began using a bull’s-eye code. During that same timeframe, a committee was formed within the grocery industry to select a standard code to be used in the industry. IBM proposed a design, based upon the UGPIC work and similar to today’s UPC code. On April 3, 1973, the committee selected the UPC symbol (based on the IBM proposal) as the industry standard. The success of the system since then has spurred on the development of other coding systems. George J. Laurer is considered the inventor of U.P.C. or Uniform Product Code.

First UPC Scanner
In June of 1974, the first U.P.C. scanner was installed at a Marsh’s supermarket in Troy, Ohio. The first product to have a barcode was Wrigley’s Gum.

Pages: 1 7 replies