Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

tiki tones / shading

Pages: 1 7 replies

O.K. TC,
About to purchase a piece of palm from Tikimon. Once I get my carving done how do I go about doing the blacked out areas? On a good many tiki I have seen the deepest parts of the carvings really dark or black, and the higher spots like a blonde color.
I know the carvers have their secrets and tricks and don't like to give away what puts cash in the pocket, I am the same way about my pinstriping, goldleafing and airbrushing, but in doing so you help bring a new member into the artistic "family", if they choose to continue creating, and may show you something as well.
Thanks to everyone for your help thus far.
The Caravan Shaker

Burn it with a torch.

TCS, I've never used a torch, but you can get a nice multi-tone effect using different color stains.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11814&forum=7&vpost=125075

Good luck.

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2004-12-11 16:54 ]

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader on 2004-12-11 18:37 ]

look around, look around. all the info you need is here on TC. Start at the "Carving Post" it's no big secret

Damn! and i thought you had info about a new tiki tones album...

Go with what AA and JT said. They know what they're doing.

Polynesiac,
Dude I have been unsuccesful at locating any Tiki Tones c.d.'s. Even found thier web site, emailed them and 3 months later still no reply.

burning sucks with palm, try spray paint, then go back and sand off the overspray. or use your airbrush. now tell me how to goldleaf a tiki.

[ Edited by: chisel slinger on 2004-12-14 07:50 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies