Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Tiki Holiday drink ideas

Pages: 1 9 replies

M

Specifically... after dinner or spice oriented drinks.

Further to my upcoming event ( http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12301&forum=4&7 ), I'm looking for some ideas...

Think Amaretto, Frangelico, Black Strap, Kahlua, Bailey's, cream, nutmeg, spiced rum, things like that....

Or some tart drinks with a spicy flavor, like a Captain's Grog.

Get to work people.

i'll get right on that. i was just looking for a reason to start drinking now and by the grace of the tikis here it is!!!!

I came up with a cool Holiday drink idea over the summer. Haven't officially tried it but it couldn't go wrong.

Knock yourself out:

Hot TIKI Nog

Your Guests Favorite Rum (Sailor Jerry's?)
One Mango
One Can Coconut milk (12 - 14 OZ)
One Can Mango Nectar
Raw Cane Sugar
Spices (Cinimin, Nutmeg, Allspice, Whatever) to taste

Dice Mango, put in blender with Coconut Milk. Heat mixture in medium saucepan, stir in (to taste) Nectar, Sugar and spice. You most likely won't use the whole can of nectar but it's a good way to add sweetness in conjunction with the sugar.
Serve hot. Guests can ladel this into their mugs adding rum to taste.
When I first made this (sans rum) I blended in some silken tofu for thickness... :( The intention was a sweet coating for fried tillapia (not recomended). By itself it tasted great, very similar to egg nog!

Let me know how this works!
-FB

[ Edited by: Freakbear on 2004-12-12 12:23 ]

K

Well, fresh squeezed OJ in rum based drinks with bitters and a little pimento are always nice this time of year.

Orange spice drunkeness. Mmmmmmm....

Ahu

M

On 2004-12-11 20:07, FreakBear wrote:

Hot TIKI Nog

Your Guests Favorite Rum (Sailor Jerry's?)
One Mango
One Can Coconut milk (12 - 14 OZ)
One Can Mango Nectar
Raw Cane Sugar
Spices (Cinimin, Nutmeg, Allspice, Whatever) to taste

Dice Mango, put in blender with Coconut Milk. Heat mixture in medium saucepan, stir in (to taste) Nectar, Sugar and spice. You most likely won't use the whole can of nectar but it's a good way to add sweetness in conjunction with the sugar.
Serve hot. Guests can ladel this into their mugs adding rum to taste.

Let me know how this works!
-FB

[ Edited by: Freakbear on 2004-12-12 12:23 ]

Hey FB- I made it tonight. Not bad! I left out the cane sugar (seemed excessive) and it's plenty sweet. I used Sailor Jerry and even boosted it with a tea ball full of mulling spices. It's quite distinctive and damn tasty. I guess my only real concern is that it's a killer on the hips: a whole can of coconut milk is about 50 grams of saturated fat, or about 250% of your daily serving. The recipe serves about four, and that's still a lot fattier than egg nog.

Anyway- well done. Give it a try people.

I've posted this before, my wife's favorite Rum drink, the Rum Cow:

1 1/2 ounces light rum
2 drops vanilla
Dash Angostura bitters
2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup milk
Nutmeg
3 or 4 ice cubes

Combine rum, vanilla, bitters, sugar, and milk in a cocktail shaker. Grate a little nutmeg on top and add ice. Shake vigorously and pour into a 10-ounce coconut mug.

On 2004-12-14 21:20, martiki wrote:

Hey FB- I made it tonight. Not bad! I left out the cane sugar (seemed excessive) and it's plenty sweet. I used Sailor Jerry and even boosted it with a tea ball full of mulling spices. It's quite distinctive and damn tasty. I guess my only real concern is that it's a killer on the hips: a whole can of coconut milk is about 50 grams of saturated fat, or about 250% of your daily serving. The recipe serves about four, and that's still a lot fattier than egg nog.

Anyway- well done. Give it a try people.

Indeed heavy on the hips and belly! I originally blended silken tofu as well to thicken and extend, but ended up adding tons of sugar to counter the blandness. Cutting the coconut milk with some soy or rice milk may be an improvement. Thai Kitchen makes a lite coconut milk -- worth a try!

I used to make sort of a rum martini:

Rum inplace of vodka or gin.
Equal parts orange liquer and amarretto inplace of vermouth.
Balance rum with liquer mixture to taste.
-FB

[ Edited by: FreakBear on 2004-12-17 16:07 ]

I'm refreshing this thread to see if anyone has any new recipes for the holidaze!

You could always cut some of the coconut milk with some non-lactic milk or silken tofu like earlier mentioned and gasp add some coconut rum for more flavor and to make up for the sweetness.

As I've advocated before, flavored rums are not entirely useless.

Try the "VooDoo Priestess" from Forbidden Island: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/27/WIG3TLV2J11.DTL plus mentioned in several TC threads. The pumpkin spice fits the season, and family and friends really like it.

Pages: 1 9 replies