Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Joao Gilberto.... Whats the essential selection?

Pages: 1 4 replies

Not exactly tiki I know, but what Joao Gilberto records are absolutely essential?

TG

Hate seeing your thread sitting there all lonely and naked. I'm a fan of Brazilian music, but the genre is so huge, and I've still got lots to learn about it. I have the classic Getz/Gilberto stuff, and a few other cuts of his here and there on comps, but I'm unfamiliar with what would be considered essential by him. Here's a link to the Joao Gilberto releases that are available at my favorite online record store, Dusty Groove.

http://www.dustygroove.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/dga/search.cgi?x=21&y=7&usersrch=JOAO+gilberto&issearch=yes

Sure, looks like #4 on the list (Joao Gilberto - Joao Gilberto) is a winner. I think I'll hunt that one down.

[ Edited by: Selector Lopaka on 2004-12-14 17:08 ]

amoroso is one of my all time fave albums!

it strikes a mood like none other.

the cd i have is 2 albums in one: amoroso & brasil (which is also a fantastic recording).

he sings in 4 languages (english, spanish, italian & of course portuguese). the arrangements are very moody & warm. the bass on this album is understated & subtle but so phenomenal. & the organ, oooh it's nice.

there are a couple other great (i'll try to find the names) but amoroso is just incredible.

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2004-12-14 17:24 ]

ela e' carioca is nice too (early recording of joao & guitar). i think this is also known as joao gilberto en mexico.

i think chega de saudade was gilberto's first album (or at least first major release).

also the album the antonio carlos jobim songbook (which is pretty lame) has an incredible live from carnegie hall version of meditacao (meditation). it's worth purchasing the album just for that (or finding out what album it was on originally).

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2004-12-14 17:25 ]

Thanks for the suggestions. I got curious about this beacuase there was a cool little tune they used on Sealab 2021 called Aguas De Marcos. It was hilarious because they had the character voiced by Eric Estrada doing a duet with the character Debbie. The best part was that it sounded like them!

Unfortunately the download they had for this is already off of the adult swim website.

Thanks again
TG

Pages: 1 4 replies