Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

2005 Inductees for Rock & Roll Hall of Fame announced

Pages: 1 17 replies

B

The following artists will be inducted at the Twentieth Annual Induction Ceremony, which will be held Monday, March 14th in New York at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel:

Buddy Guy

Percy Sledge

The O'Jays (Eddie Levert, Bobby Massey, William Powell, Sammy Strain, Walter Williams)

The Pretenders (Martin Chambers, Pete Farndon, James Honeyman-Scott, Chrissie Hynde)

U2 (Bono, Adam Clayton, The Edge, Larry Mullen Jr.)

In addition, the following will be inducted in the Lifetime Achievement in the Non-Performer category:

Frank Barsalona - The founder and president of Premier Talent Agency

Seymour Stein - The Chairman of Sire Records

Can't really bag on any of the inductees this year (as opposed to some years ahem Righteous Brothers), but it still "chaps my hide" that Kraftwerk is still being ignored.

M

Ditto The Cure

T

What about the Monks?!

U2? Give me a break.

They all su...I mean...Good for them!!

M

I'm always confused at how they pick the inductees....seems like a bunch of insiders at Rolling Stone set the bar.

Hey The Rock "n" Roll hall of fame know how to Rock harder than any of us common folk. They Rock all the time. We don't know anything about what we think is good. They Rock for a Living. All they do is Rock to what everbody else Rock's to. We only Rock just a little bit. You see, they get paid to Rock. You see, Rockin takes alot of knowledge of what YOU like. You don't know what you like - they know what kind of Rock you like to hear!!! I hope someday I will Rock as hard as the R"n"R Hall of Fame people know how to Rock!!! I Gotta go now - I think I'll eat at the Hard Rock Cafe.
Keep on Rockin,
Spermy

I always thought the RnR Hall off Fame was the HardRockification of what was once, as Jack Black said in 'School of Rock (not that great a movie, by the way)...anyway he said that rock music was once the way to 'stick it to the man' until MTV came along and F'ed that up once and for all. I agree totally. The RnR Hall of Fame is the embodiment of that alleged theory. On the other hand, Buddy Guy and The Pretenders (at least for their first three albums) deserve to be in some kinda Hall of Fame...so good for those guys. They deserve the recognition. I don't hate U2, but those guys are so mega-big, I could have waited a while until those guys got in.

Now if The MC5, Iggy & the Stooges, and The New York Dolls were inducted, I'd be impressed, but Jann Wenner, Ahmet Ertugun, and all the other rich guys that control the RNRHOF have yet to prove they have the balls to put those guys in. and while I'm thinking of it Joan Jett and Cheap Trick are also long over due to be inducted.

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-12-14 23:13 ]

[ Now if The MC5, Iggy & the Stooges, and The New York Dolls were inducted, I'd be impressed

I couldn't agree more my friend!!!!
Another man with good Taste!!!!
Later,
Spermy

On 2004-12-14 23:14, The Sperm Whale wrote:

[ Now if The MC5, Iggy & the Stooges, and The New York Dolls were inducted, I'd be impressed

I couldn't agree more my friend!!!!
Another man with good Taste!!!!
Later,
Spermy

Creem Magazine anyone? Circa early to mid 70's!! I still have a stack of 'em. Lester Bangs!!! Yeahhh!!!

I'd be more impressed if they inducted the Sonics or the Wailers....

Matty

On 2004-12-14 23:11, donhonyc wrote:
Now if The MC5, Iggy & the Stooges, and The New York Dolls were inducted, I'd be impressed,
[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-12-14 23:13 ]

T

I could go on forever with criticism of the Hall of Fame.

Why is Traffic in there but not Small Faces?

Since when is Joni Mitchell rock 'n roll? Sure, she sold a lot of folk records but she ain't rock 'n roll.

Where are Johnny Burnette's Rock and Roll Trio?

That's just a start.

It seems to me the list concentrates on artists that sold the most records and have been played frequently on mainstream rock and oldies stations. To me it should reflect artists that had the strongest contribution, and influence on real rock 'n roll, not some watered down over-produced pop like Jackson Brown or Billy Joel (both of whom are in the hall of fame).

Complete alphabetical list: http://www.rockhall.com/hof/allinductees.asp?sort=ln%2Cfn

D

On 2004-12-15 10:49, mattfink wrote:
I'd be more impressed if they inducted the Sonics or the Wailers....

Wishful thinking. I'm with you all the way. But I don't ever think The Sonics will make they're way in. The people who are the 'judges' of these inductions probably don't have a clue as to who they are...wait a minute...they're using a Sonics song in a Landrover commercial now aren't they. Yeah...that does them justice. Use them in a commercial for a yuppie-mobile. That definitely stays true to the origins of the music, right? I guess at the very least, the guys in The Sonics are making some real money from that, and THAT they deserve.

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-12-15 13:16 ]

D

As an inductee,what are you entitled to? Does anyone know-or care?

The following artists are also to be honored:

Bruce Springsteen
Bob Dylan
Tom Petty
REM
the Eagles
38 Special
the Allman Brothers
the Doobie Brothers
George Thorogood
Dave Mathews
the Beastie Boys
Neil Young
Los Lonely Boys
Los Lobos
Jackson Browne
Lynard Skynard
Nine Inch Nails
Napalm Death
Rolling Stones
Crosby, Stills, and Nash
Melissa Ethridge
Sting
Peter Gabriel
Phil Collins
Kenny G(
Jimmy Buffet
Elton John
Social Distortion
Yoko Ono

On 2004-12-15 15:59, Dack Sambo wrote:
The following artists are also to be honored:

Bob Dylan
Neil Young
Rolling Stones
Crosby, Stills, and Nash

Not a big fan of any of these, but did the Pretenders really beat them all to a place in the Hall of Fame? What's going on? Does the band/artist have to be dead or disbanded?

The whole list was utter dogshit this year, just like the years before. These people have no idea.

Yeah, why not the Monks? Iggy! The Residents! Black Flag (or Minor Threat?)! Not a big fan, but you've got to include Kraftwerk. And if I had my way, Mission of Burma and the Fall would be in there.

But what's this? Napalm Death getting an award? Perhaps there's a chance somewhere down the line for Anal C*nt after all.

Trader Woody

D

Woody-

Don't be fooled by that man behind the curtain. There is no award for Napalm Death and none of those other artist are being honored. Some of them have already been. This post by Dack Sambo is actually 'tikitortored 'or someone like him trying to get more mileage out of the content of their unpopular post the other day. Aren't they clever?

Don't forget the musical stylings of David Hasselhoff - he's huge in Germany!

No no no!

I am not tiki-tortured! I am actually making fun of tiki-tortured! I thought that jis (or her) list was just plain wrong, and mean spirited! Most of those bands are good bands, and the post that came after with New kids on the block and others was hilarious!

Pages: 1 17 replies