Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Question about David Rose

Pages: 1 7 replies

I, like many of you, have most of the ultralounge series. My particular favorite track is on Space capades, and is "gay spirits" by David Rose. Other then "the stripper", it is very hard if not impossible to find CD's from this artist. I did find a David Rose compliation disc finally, and was totally and completly let down. All the tracks, including "gay spirits" are 1940's era monophonic recordings that totally suck!

I was so looking forward to hearing the original album that the version on Sapce Capades is taken from! That version is obviously late 50's/early 60's as it is crisp and clean and in glorious stereophonic!

I have searched the internet, and cannot find the album name, stock number or anything!

On the spacepop website, some records by him are listed at the bottom, including one that has the words "stereophonic" in the title.
I would appreciate any help from Lounge DJ's or spacepop experts/afficianados that I can get!

The album which you seek is called "Holiday For Strings". Not the original MGM release but the one that was released on Capitol records in 1967. The catalog number is ST 2717. All the tracks are "new" David Rose presentations of his original compositions. Sort of like a David Rose remix project if you will. Here is the complete track listing.....Holiday For Strings, The Stripper, Waltz of the Bubbles, 4:20 AM, California Melodies, Like Young, Dance of the Spanish Onion, Taco Holiday, The Tiny Ballerina, Rose of Bel-Air, Gay Spirits and Wig-Wam. Hope this helps.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff Central!

One other question please: Do you know if that album is available on CD anywhere? I went to the Capitol website, and it never came up on any search.

Nope! Vinyl only. Capitol is sitting on so much stuff. It really is depressing.

K

What is up with Capitol anyway? Out side of easy listening, can we talk about how much AWESOME Hawaiian material they are sitting on? All the Hawaii Calls LPs, Haunani Kahalewai's fantastic recordings, etc. I see a Mahi Beamer has been reissued...no reason they shouldn't have put BOTH his Capitol LPs on one CD, though...ugh.

Capitol will gladly license their recordings for re-releases, I have a copy of "Hawaii Calls, Album 2" from Suffolk Marketing sitting right next to me right now.

I have "The Stripper and Other Fun Songs For The Family" on lp. That's actually what it says on the cover. It is one of my favorite old lps. Has anyone seen that on cd?

TM1

I have the stripper on CD..it's one david rose song and ten stripping songs from someone else.

Pages: 1 7 replies