Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

TIKI teasing

Pages: 1 14 replies

All the staff here at school are involved in a Secret Santa gift exchange. To help each other out we had little forms to fill out to give your "Santa" an idea of what you liked; hobbies, fav. color, etc. On my form I put down that anything would be just fine, but if my santa happened to have any old Tiki mugs in their, or their parents cabinets, I would sure like that as I collect tiki mugs and all things tiki.
Now I have also for months been talking and showing pictures of my small but growing collection and how the bar transformation is coming along. I thought that by now no one had escaped me.
Imagine my delight when my first S.S. gift appeared in front of my office door with a big TIKI TIKI TIKI written on it. I almost pee'd myself.Several other staff members gathered around to see what the gift was. I tore off the colored paper to find a small wicker box with a lid on it. Really nice but...hmmmm... where's the tiki? I opened the box and inside are 4 long round wicker things that look like curlers. I don't know what to say at this point cause I don't even know what I have here. So I pull the old lame "oh how nice" Hoping that if my santa is in the group that it would appease them. Some smarty pants in the group says, "so what the heck are those things?" I give them the look of death and someone else comes to the rescue and says that they think they are napkin rings.
Last week same thing....TIKI TIKI TIKI on the package this time it's coasters inside the wicker box. Well, ok, I can use those on the bar--but TIKI???
Today was the killer though. Same thing TIKI TIKI TIKI. This time no wicker box, just a small wheel of apple cinnamon cheese! This time I did laugh, I just lost it. Hopefully my "santa" wasn't near by. All day long I have been wondering about the cheese and TIKI. Then I turned the packaged cheese over and read the brand name. Kaukauna. Do you think that my santa thought that the name was Hawaiian?! Since the cheese comes from Wisconsin, I'd have to think maybe a Wisconsin Native American word. Maybe it is Hawaiian?
Next Tuesday is the final gift-what do you think I could get this time?! I may not have received a TIKI item, but this sure will stand out in my Secret Santa memories. And of course I do appreciate the the gifts none the less. Except maybe the cheese...

S

Apple cinnamon cheese sounds quite disgusting. Hows that stuff taste?

Can't bring myself to try it. I like cheese and I like apples, but not at the same time.

[ Edited by: exotica59 on 2004-12-15 14:36 ]

[ Edited by: exotica59 on 2004-12-15 14:37 ]

D

Be good on a cinnamon bagel-but I have to agree,it's not really tiki.Maybe if you carved the cheese into a scorpion bowl or something,but that would be a lot or work.

Stand up.

Stand up, Stand up for Cheeses.

I feel sorry for the poor misguided soul who thinks, "Hmmm, tiki... spreadable apple cinn-o-mon cheese wheel!"

I hate to think of what they'd consider a tropical drink... vanilla Coke?
Quite the Secret Santa psychological experiment you have going there.

S

I think people are just messing with this guy. It's hard to believe that anyone is stupid enough to think that apple cinnamon cheez is even remotely tiki related.

Well, I'll know who and what the heck they were thinking tomorrow morning at 7:30am. That's when we have the big Secret santa reveal. This is also when you get the last most expensive gift. Can't wait to see what I get.
we will all be gathered together for this event and the best part of the whole deal is watching the looks on some of the other peoples faces as they pull some god awful gift out of its' wrapping paper. Too much fun
Mel
(Melody)

Apple, cinamon, and cheese... What did you think were the 3 main ingredients of the Mystery Drink? :wink:

FB

D

maybe you'll get this tiki tomorrow..

Today was the big secret santa party, and now I know why thngs went so wrong. My santa was a brand new teacher who just came from Mexico and told me that she had no clue what Tiki's are. She decided that wicker items would at least go along with the look. A far as the cheese goes, she thought I could serve it to my guests. So I guess it all makes some sort of sense now. Since I only speak a very limited "Spanlish" she and I have not spoken alot to each other. This did end being a nice ice breaker and she asked me to help her to learn more about Tiki's. I'm going to loan her my B.O.T.who knows, I could have planted the seeds for a future convert.
BTW, I did get a nice small Tiki carving from a differant staff member today. Pretty cool.

El queso es Amimal Mass importante in totol piees. Es me Coche tam bien.

Cheese is the most important Animal in my country, and it's also my fine car.

That's what I would have said.

On 2004-12-17 08:17, exotica59 wrote:
Today was the big secret santa party, and now I know why thngs went so wrong. My santa was a brand new teacher who just came from Mexico and told me that she had no clue what Tiki's are. She decided that wicker items would at least go along with the look. A far as the cheese goes, she thought I could serve it to my guests. So I guess it all makes some sort of sense now. Since I only speak a very limited "Spanlish" she and I have not spoken alot to each other. This did end being a nice ice breaker and she asked me to help her to learn more about Tiki's. I'm going to loan her my B.O.T.who knows, I could have planted the seeds for a future convert.
BTW, I did get a nice small Tiki carving from a differant staff member today. Pretty cool.

Maybe you could send her to the Mauna Loa in Mexico City for "extra credit."

On 2004-12-17 08:17, exotica59 wrote:
My santa was a brand new teacher who just came from Mexico and told me that she had no clue what Tiki's are.

Since Tiki is neither an English or Spanish word, there should have been no translation problem. You'd think a teacher would know how to use a dictionary, right?
:)

PS - nice seeing you out at Tabu Tiki Nights, E59!

Yes, you would think one could look up Tiki. We also have plenty of computers in the labs and classrooms.
Good to see you and the others at Trader Vic's. We're going to try and there early in Feb so we can get in the same room with you all. Sure had a great time!

Pages: 1 14 replies