Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What do you listen to... besides exotica?

Pages: 1 2 53 replies

I've been listening to more indie rock lately. Mostly what KCRW 89.9 FM in LA plays. Some of the concerts that I've gone to in the last months are:

Broadcast @ The Troubadour
Jem @ Avalon
Nouvelle Vague @ Hollywood Bowl
Brazilian Girls @ House of Blues
The Like @ The Viper Room
Trashcan Sinatras @ The Troubadour

Some music I've been listening to lately is:

Matt Pond PA
Broadcast
Imogene Heap
Nada Surf

My favorite style of music is progressive rock or progressive metal and the band that gets the most play at my place is Dream Theater.

They are based out of New York, been around for 25 years (hard core prog-metal fans know),and they simply crush you with their talent on all instruments, musicianship, and live performance. If you like 70's prog mixed with heavy crunching riffs that match anything out there today these are your guys.

No one listens to Lene Lovich? Martha and the Muffins?

Early Eighties Music for Two Hundred, Alex!

...elliot sharp, john zorn, bill frisell, dillinger escape plan, bob wills, virginia rodriguez, julieta venegas, burning spear, crass, sham 69, damage manual, fela kuti, eugene chadbourne, femi kuti, diamanda galas, ernest ranglin, mario bauza, ricardo lemvo & makina loca, sonny rollins, ornette coleman, roaring lion, blinky & the roadmasters, germs, incubus, tool, primus, uakti, rashanim, steve lacy, whitehouse, nervous gender, sex pistols, bass mountain boys, bazooka, culture, ras michael & the sons of negus, salif keita, king sunny ade, skatenigs, caetano veloso, gilberto gil, sex pistols, lester flatt, earl skruggs, cibo matto...

... forgot... war criminals...

[ Edited by: alohabros 2005-12-13 14:57 ]

TM

This is what is on my desk right now:

Schoenberg: Verklarte nacht
Bartok: Bluebeard's castle
Bartok: Violin concerto #2
Fela Kuti: Original suffer head
Esquivel: Space age bachelor music
De falla: El amor brujo
Verdi: Overtured and intermezzos
Youssou n'dour: set
Stan Kenton: Cuban fire
Sergio Mendes: In person at the matador/pele
Arthur lyman: Puka shells
Steel guitar magic: Hawaiian style
Robert Fripp: Soundscapes live in argentina
Milton Nascimento: Milagre dos Peixes
Los Panchos: Lo mejor de
The japanese koto and Shakuhachi (sampler)
Herb Alpert: colors
Sergio Mendes: the great arrival

I know there are a couple of exotica albums there too, but what the heck..this is just a typical day's listening!

Great set list, Lucas!

My brain is moving to slow to add content, but I wanted to compliment that list.

Pages: 1 2 53 replies