Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Sam Makia album that has "Hukilau" on it

Pages: 1 10 replies

I'm looking for the title of the album that has "Hukilau" on it. (the version that appears on the player on the "2004 Hukilau" page)

Can anyone tell me? And then I'm looking to buy it, Vinyl or CD (if it exists)

For that matter, on the same player I also love the Luau song and would love to have that album too.

S

You can buy the CD HERE with a lot of the music and if you have special requests, like the Sam Makia songs, let me know and I can send another CD in the deal.

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2004-12-16 16:30 ]

P

It's "PINKY that's cooked all night."

:wink:

[ Edited by: pablus on 2004-12-16 19:54 ]

Thanks Swanky, that sounds like a great compilation and I'll probably order it. But do you know what original albums the songs come from? Are they still in print or will I have to find the old vinyl?

Pablus, I re-listened to that and I think you may be right. Just so's I know, we're talkin' canabalism here, right? :wink:

S

I got all the stuff from the LPs. I have no idea if it's available on CD rerelease, but I doubt it. What you want is "On the Beach at Waikiki" by Sam Makia. One of my top 10 records. I have gotten a couple of them at thrift stores over the years. It's an EP. Yellow cover. "The Fabulous 50th State" is not worth getting at all.

Swanky said
'"The Fabulous 50th State" is not worth getting at all."

You are so right. I just got it 2 days ago expecting it to sound like "Hukilau" and then I hear all the strings!

Thanks for the info, now I have a title to tell my local vinyl store to look out for.

K

Hey..Speak for yourselves! LOL. I love "The 50th State" LP..but really only because of Sam Makia's steel playing. He was one of the greatest steel players..such an emotional, vulnerable sound..always sounds like he's about to cry while playing! I love all his albums.

Okay Kaiwaza, I put it back on the turntable. (you've saved it from banishment in the garage)upon relistening, I noticed his great control over harmonics! So I'll keep it around for when I have my friends from the Montevani String Society over for tea.:)

K

Thanks, Captain! I feel redeemed. Sam Makia recorded quite a number of LPs and any of them are worth having. "The Fabulous 50th State" is the only one with "mantovani-esque" strings, though. :) He and Hal Aloma, another great, but more swinging, steel player teamed up to record several albums on various labels under other names like "The Garden Islanders" or "The Diamond Head Beach Boys", etc.

K

Hey Kaiwaza -- are you the same cat that just bought George "Keoki" Lake's album Music For Your Luau on Evil-bay!?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4062051863&rd=1

There was a thread on the SGF about that. Jeff Au Hoy (new, young steel phenom in Honolulu) had asked "what island is THIS!?" about the cover. Turns out Keoki took that pic in French Polynesia himself. To quote him:

Hey guys, there's no point in bidding on that lp...you can find a copy at your local flea market for 50 cents and even at that price you'll be hosed! It was (regretfully) recorded by me in 1983. I played all the instruments heard....about 7 of them. As JB once told me, "a recording is akin to a police record, it always comes back to haunt you"...

I think he's being just a bit modest. And I've never seen it at any flea markets, thrift stores anywhere. Glad someone got it who appreciates steel playing. Please let us know how you like it.

I'm really curious about getting a copy of that Makia CD, too.

A hui hou...

K

Hi Kanekila,
Yeah, I'm the one that got the LP on Ebay. Actually, I collect Hawaiian/exotica LPs pretty extensively..I have about 2,400..and I've NEVER once seen this LP on Ebay, online, or at any thrift/record store. I heard it when I used to work at a college radio station though. I requested Tom Shilstra in Canada to send all of his "Sweet Guitars Series" LPs, as I played alot of steel on air, and he did..all 13 volumes. THe George Lake LP is one of them. Tom had said his only reservation was that it had a lot of vibe playing..almost as much as the steel, and thought maybe it shouldn't qualify in the guitar series for that reason.I think this completes my collection from all the Hawaiian entries in the "Sweet Steel Guitar" series on Maple Records.
Now..another LP added to the endless list of LPs I'm recording onto CDs..that way I don't have to "wear the LP out."
Cheers,
Kaiwaza

Pages: 1 10 replies