Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Just came into some Palm and have a question or two

Pages: 1 8 replies

I was driving down the road and saw tree trimmers cutting down a Palm tree. Now I have about 8 or 9 really nice sized Palm trunk sections and want to be sure I do the right thing.
How should I store them, should I seal the edges or let them dry before carving? I've never carved Palm, how much do I debark from the outside, it seems kind of moist and stringy when I took out a chunk with a chisel.
Plus if theres any other kind of advice I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks...

B

Depends on what kind of Palm you have, Any idea? Most palms you can carve right away. Some are not useable because they turn to mush when they dry.

When I read the thread title "Just came into some palm and have a question or two", I erroneously assumed it was a question about removing splinters.

Bong... you rock! :)

B

Yeah, that is Usually what you get when you run into a palm log. Got tweezers bong?

Good one guys!
Don't know what kind it is, I'll see if I can get a pic up here in a little while.

F

The key to telling type is base off of the frons first.

We call the splinters for our tiki's KISSES cause they stay with you for a while

Fillipi,

Just carving the thing. It'll probably be dry by the time you finish it anyway. Nothing wrong with letting it do it's own thing........In the meantime the others will be drying.

Yeah I agree, get yourself some tweezers for sure.

Tanks for the advice, my digital camera's battery charger is lost anyway so I couldn't get a pic of the palm logs. I dug into one a little bit today and it seems like it will carve nicely. I'll post some pics when I get something going and find that battery charger...

Pages: 1 8 replies