Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Harvey's Lake Tahoe Mug

Pages: 1 17 replies

I spotted a Harvey's Lake Tahoe mug today, in great condition, marked $14. Is this a good deal?
-FB

I found one once for $2

then I found 2 for $1.50 each

-Z

TM

Depends on which one. Was it the Black Painted Sneaky Tiki, the Green Glaze Sneaky Tiki or the Short Barrel Mug? As I've said in the past, anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I have the Black Sneaky Tiki on my website for $25, and the Barrel Mug for $12. I'll be posting a Green Glazed Sneaky Tiki this weekend. I'll probably put $25 or $30 on it. I think these are fair retail prices, but probably not for the guy/gal (like me) that wants to find that $2 mug at the thrift store. I think I'm beginning to ramble.....

Tiki Mugs, Vintage, Tiki Bars, Carved Tiki Poles, Apparel and more!
Everything Tiki at: http://www.bartiki.com

[ Edited by: Tiki Matt on 2004-12-17 16:28 ]

B

The short barrel mugs seem to be almost as common as Leilanis on eBay, selling for an average of $3-$6.

Someone once GAVE me one and $150 just to take the mutha off their hands. I scored. Would you say that also? (ready go.)

I'm not sure which mug this was. I don't think it was the Sneaky Tiki, maybe the barrel mug? This was a short mug (between 4 and 6 inches) but wide, brown in color and embossed with the familiar Harvey's tiki and one or 2 other images, also a big patch inscribed "Harvey's Lake Tahoe". I'm not too familiar with the Harvey's establishment or mugs, I may go back and get it just because It's the first one I've seen locally. There were also some CocoJoes figurines and a palm husk with a carved tiki face. I'm on a very limited budget right now so I just kind of sulked all the way home :(

P.S.
I think this is it (background):

[ Edited by: FreakBear on 2004-12-17 23:24 ]

Hey FreakBear,
I passed on one at the thrift today for .99 cents.
You want me to pick it up for ya if they still got it?
Mele Kalikimaka!
:tiki:

On 2004-12-17 23:26, Tiki Royale wrote:
Hey FreakBear,
I passed on one at the thrift today for .99 cents.
You want me to pick it up for ya if they still got it?
Mele Kalikimaka!

That's very nice of you Royale! I don't know that I'm particularly taken by this particular mug but it certainly caught my eye. Do you know off-hand what Shipping & Handling might be?

Hey FreakBear,
No worries, 'tis the season. e-mail or PM me and let em know where you are.
I agree, It's not the most striking mug design wise but I have to admit that the good 'ol bucket mug is one of my favorites to drink out of. They fit nicely in the hand, hold a lot of yummy stuff and they're practically indestructable.
Aloha,

The mug in question is the only one I've found recently. It was .99 at Goodwill. It may be common, but I'd never seen it before and was glad to have any sort of drought-breaker.

It looks like she's carrying a frying pan.
Cooking while topless?
I hope she's not frying chicken. :D

Thanks again Royale! Let me know if there's any mugs I should look out for (in terms of returning the favor). We've got a plentitude of Kahiki 1's and 2's, and I occaisionally find a peanut mug here and there.
-FB

Aloha FreakBear,
The Harvey's bucket should have gone out in today's mail. I left work early so I didn't see if the mail guys picked up...
Anyway, hope the mug fits in with your collection. Make sure to mix up a nice cold Mai-Tai, I'm sure you'll find that these are great mugs to drink from.
Mele Kalikimaka,

I finally found some of these mugs at an antique store today!(the barrel style Harvey's Tahoe)

I paid $2.00 each & found a nest of four of them pushed to the dark back corner of a very low shelf behind a deep tray three rows deep of Pillsbury doughboy salt & pepper shakers. What made me look behind the salt & pepper shakers was a seemingly out of place buddha statue by the tray. There was also a coconut monkey wearing a straw hat coin bank shoved back there, I left him hidden there in case anyone collects those! You know who you are!

Naturally, the woman wrapping them up said, "I used to have a bunch of these at home, I don't know where they got to...don't clean out the top of the cupboards like I used to..." Ack! Bleh! Why must she taunt me like this?! She also had a huge array of nun figurines on display behind her, so maybe it all was divine tikivention.

[ Edited by: ZebraTiki on 2004-12-30 23:19 ]

[ Edited by: ZebraTiki on 2004-12-30 23:20 ]

in our area these are really common. i guess its due to our proximity to lake tahoe. from what i understand they handed these out with just about any drink that you puchased back in the day. i have 4 or 5 and never paid over $1.19 for them. when i go thrifting i usually see one or two without fail.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

S

I just got a green Sneaky Tiki Tahoe mug on eBay last week for $6.49 before shipping. I was thrilled. Since I'm originally from Sacramento and my parents used to eat/drink at the Top o the Wheel all the time, it has sentimental value, too.

The eBayer was phenomenal and I got my mug within 3 days of auction close (from Florida). It looks fabulous on my little built-in shelves in my 50's style kitchen.

YAY!
XoX--Cin

I just got a couple of the short brown rum buckets on e-bay for $15. Couldn't find any here in Sacramento. Also got the green and the black one and wahine (woohoo!) a few months ago. I saw one of the black ones without any paint detail (just black all-over) on e-bay. The person selling said it was the "rare all black mug" but I think it was just one of the regular black mugs with the paint rubbed off. Gotta watch out for cons.

S

*On 2005-08-14 03:03, TIKIZILLA wrote:*I saw one of the black ones without any paint detail (just black all-over) on e-bay. The person selling said it was the "rare all black mug" but I think it was just one of the regular black mugs with the paint rubbed off. Gotta watch out for cons.

I agree, TIKIZILLA! I think I saw that, too. I was like "Uh, no. Harvey's didn't have an all-black mug." I see the black/orange ones on eBay a lot.

When sellers have their stories INCREDIBLY wrong, I usually send them a private message with corrections as I know them and I quote where the info is from -- i.e. Tiki Road Trip or Tiki Quest. Most people are really nice about it. They are usually just folks who got the mug from some garage sale and honestly have NO CLUE when it was from so it will say something like "Vintage Tiki Mug from the 1950's" and the bar it is from will have opened in the mid 60's and closed in the 1990's. Truth in advertising...

Pages: 1 17 replies