Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

incredible finds, you will want to read this. WITCO, KAHIKI, FLOATS

Pages: 1 10 replies

HT

Okay, so I had the most incredible find today at stores. But, I have to put most of it up for sale. I found a Witco piece that's about four feet long, by a foot and a half or two high. It looks like the kon tiki. It's got a yellow canvas background, and wooden frame. There are brass nobs that i guess represent people. If someone has a Witco catalog, I'd appreciate it if you'd post a pic. The second thing, 3 foot tiki spoons. Most of them are carved. They're amazing. The third, is a Samurai Grog mug, with the vertical swords, not crossed. And, last, but not least, the old style Kahiki mug, brown. From Hoffmann Pottery. They're all in AMAZING condition. There's a few edges on the spoons that aren't perfect. But everything else, yes, very nice. Make me an offer. I really don't want to make a profit. I bought it all figuring someone on here would want it. I'll also trade, but not for the Witco piece. That's straight up for sale. I don't have a camera here, but I can take regular pictures and have them in a few days if absolutely necessary. But honest injun, they;re really great condition. Anyway, e-mail me at [email protected], and make an offer. IF it's too much, i'll sell it for less. Like I said, I bought all this because I figured someone on here would want it. I, unfortunately, didn't get it at thrift stores, but antique stores, so I paid fair market price. Anyway, I'm hoping someone wants it. IF not, lol, guess I'm stuck with it. ALOHA!

PS - There are about 7 12-16" antique floats I can pick up if someone wants them. They're red, blue, and green. I think there's a yellow one, but I'm not sure. They range from $95-155. I can buy and ship them to anyone if someone wants them. The ropes are all in really good condition. They guy will give me a better price if I buy 3. Just let me know, and I can pick them up, it's only 15 miles from me. Aloha!

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki on 2004-12-17 19:14 ]

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki on 2004-12-17 19:17 ]

Post, Post Script. There's also a Poly-Art Lava rock statue of a wahine with a sweeping headdress that's about 4" for $7 that I can pick up too.

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki on 2004-12-17 20:29 ]

Kahiki Mug:

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki on 2004-12-20 08:58 ]

HT

PS - I added pictures of the Kahiki Mug

Nothing personal, but I just hate to see the term "honest injun" used in our society today. Maybe i am just a headhunter in the wastelands, but we should eliminate with extreme violence most all derogatory terms still used in todays society. But on the other end of the spectrum, I still would like to see the f-word become a viable word/phrase in the english language for totally accepted everyday use.

It must not be in use much anymore, since I had never heard it before, and I love and study American slang...I think it's funny.

But this touches on the age old question of How much political incorrectness is funny, and when does it become un-funny?
The whole Poly Pop/Tiki thing can be seen as racist stereotyping of a culture and people, if you want to see it that way. It all depends on the level of consciousness of the receiver: Does he take it at face value, or with the postmodern ironic understanding of the people and place of when it was born the first time.

I am very concerned that with the spread of Tiki culture, some people will receive and purport it in an ignorant manner, as if it was fact. When I wrote the BOT, it seemed that we all had grown out of that chauvinist ignorance toward other peoples and their cultures, and that this was a forgiveable, naive lapse that would never happen in earnest again, and we could all have a good laugh about it. I am not so sure about that anymore now.

Not that I regret the BOT, one should not level one's consciousness to the the lowest common ground, but when that ground becomes the majority it is worrysome.

On 2004-12-21 02:28, Mike the Headhunter wrote:
Nothing personal, but I just hate to see the term "honest injun" used in our society today. Maybe i am just a headhunter in the wastelands, but we should eliminate with extreme violence most all derogatory terms still used in todays society. But on the other end of the spectrum, I still would like to see the f-word become a viable word/phrase in the english language for totally accepted everyday use.

Oh man....Can't anyone post something without someone replying on their soapbox preaching some stale rhetoric they heard somewhere else. Sorry couldn't help it.

HALE TIKI: How much for the Kahiki Mug? Please email me.

HT

Here's pictures of the Witco piece. Someone please correct me if it's not Witco.
![](http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4cc00b3127cce9deb8085d0f300000016108Abt27Ri1bN1[/img} [img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4cc00b3127cce9deb808fd0f900000016108Abt27Ri1bN1)
It's at my aunts antique store. Don't worry, it's not for sale there. But I can keep it there safely.

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki on 2004-12-21 17:01 ]

HT

The pics aren't showing up right. If you want better pics, e-mail me. The color is wrong as well. It's a light yellow. Goldenrod.

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki on 2004-12-21 17:02 ]

It's all good, I just live around too many racist people and get that one a lot and it is not usually used innocently.

Funny story about that phrase. In the movie, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Shannon Elizabeth and Eliza Dushku use the phrase. It was originally cut by the MPAA, they were told it was offensive to Native Americans. Well, it was eventually left in, after GLADD protested most of the movie. So, some people do still use it and others object to it. But remember, the Atlanta Braves still use the tomahawk, and the Cincinatti Reds used the indian as a logo up until a few years ago. I have no idea why I posted all this, other than I'm really bored.

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki on 2004-12-22 10:24 ]

HT, that IS indeed a fine Witco...but a Viking ship, not an Outrigger.

Meh, close enough. :D

Pages: 1 10 replies