Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Zippy the Pinhead 12/20/04

Pages: 1 5 replies

bill griffith is the bomb, he likes everything we do. ikitnrev posted some links to earlier tiki-bearing zippys...

S

I was just looking at my copies of the first two comic books today as I stored them in the basement..

Zippy rules, "Freaks" too. And "Even Dwarfs Started Small"!

...by the way, here are some reviews of "Even dwarfs..." (a very influential film in my youth):

With a cast composed entirely of dwarfs, Werner Herzog (Aguirre, the Wrath of God) tells a tale of asylum inmates taking over the asylum. The institution's governor is holed up in his own home with a rebel hostage to keep him company. As the inmates' wrangling for the release of their fellow captive comes to naught, all symbols of ordered society are mocked and brought to a shambles. Typewriters are smashed, flowers are set on fire, a dinner ceremony ends with the slapstick smashing of plates, a monkey is tied to a crucifix and paraded in solemn observance, chickens resort to cannibalism. All vestige of order is disrupted in Herzog's blackly humorous, fatalistic parable, leaving us with nothing but the mad, strident cackling of a dwarf. It's not just that the dwarfs are grotesques, but that we all are grotesques in this eerie little world, and it's only through Herzog's eye that we see this clearly. This deceptively simple story builds with amazing power from beginning to end, brutal and compassionate, uncompromising and mad.>I suppose this is Art, 'cinema' and not a movie, so maybe we use different standards?
Even so, I found it boring, annoying, and unpleasant. The 'message' was so unsubtle that I kept looking for something else, which did not appear. How many times and for how long does one need to see someone laughing maniaically or a driverless car running in circles before one gets the point?

T

"God's Angry Man" is my favorite Werner Herzog film...

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/religion/dr-gene-scott/

Pages: 1 5 replies