Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Modern Exotica musicians in OHIO?

Pages: 1 8 replies

Are there any Exotica musicians/acts in my locale? I occaisionally consider doing something like this but most folks I know are into the Rock, Punk, or Jam-band genres. I've played bass guitar for several years and have dabbled in other instruments here and there. I'd be interested in hearing what's out there, sitting in on a session, or perhaps starting something new... any takers?

BTW I'm in Springfield (half-way between Dayton and Columbus).

-FB
P.S.
I almost posted this in bile last night :wink: , on sobering up it still sounds like a good idea! In other words, I'm reasonably serious about this!

[ Edited by: FreakBear on 2004-12-22 12:16 ]

Too bad you live out there, and I live out here on the left coast!

I play keyboards (I play bass with the Smokin menehunes) and I have been looking to form an exotica band here in SoCal for years, with no takers!

One problem I have found is that you have to be a really, really, really good musician with Jazz chops to be able to play this stuff...and most players of that caliber are only into mainstream jazz!

I agree, I've tried talking Jazz with some folks here and usually get pointed in the Kenny G direction (I respect the man but that's just not jazz to me). Any musicians that do share my jazz interests tend to be more into Blues, Bluegrass, JamBands, or Raegae.

I should point out that i've never had any formal training in any form of music, Jazz included, aside from middle school music curiculum and brief "introduction to" theory and appreciation classes. I do have a good sensibility of musical structure that is often mistaken for a knowledge of theory by the average shmoe :wink: I've mostly done the Punk/Rock band thing and have supplied the bulk of melody and lyric writing for these. I've always wanted to do some kind of instrumental "mood" music and exotica seems to fit within my capabilities while offering the chance to study more well-rehearsed musicians than myself.
-FB

I am from Columbus and played music based out of there for 30+ years... As a member of Haole Kats I'm still in the loop up there in my hometown as far as musicians go and visit occasionaly (when it's warm of course)I'll throw out some feelers to the cats I know in the capitol and if anything comes back I will email you with the info.
I know what you all are going through with the weather right now (as I know the Dayton and Springfield area pretty well) Stay warm and safe...
Happy Holidays !!!

Hey Wholly,

Mahalo! Sounds like you were playing when I was knee-high to a grasshopper!

Keep in mind my skill level -- I mostly play and compose by ear. Such a project would be a departure from anything I've done previously and thus an amatuer endeavor. I wouldn't want my involvement in such a project to be a test of patience to a more accomplished musician.

BTW -- Just got my Haole Kats CD from Santa! Well worth the wait. I was happy to see Yellow Bird on the song list (it's recently become a favorite). I was just at Mom and Dad's with the family and we all grooved out to it! Yeah, diggin' the car out was quite a feet! :)
-FB

Yes FreakBear, I am an old crusty hippie musician.... No worries on the skill level situation as I would approach that with care. Nothing wrong with the ear method as some ears are better than others and it should start in the soul anyway. We'll see what turns up.... Sorry 'bout the dreaded car dig-out as it brings back painful memeories. Take care !!!!!

K

Hey Freakbear -- dang doooooood, it would be fun to come up that way for a visit, but only (as Wholly Cat says) WHEN IT GETS WARM AGAIN! It would be fun to jam with you

:)

It would be great if Haole Kats!!! could book some cool hapa-haole gigs up in that region. I'm originally from Wisconsin, and I believe there are some places where we might fit in over in the Milwaukee area, too. Hmmmmm... a summer Haole Kats!!! tour of the northlands maybe? Sounds cool to me!

Lastly, thank you for the kind words regarding our Haole Kats!!! CD. We sure do appreciate that! For me personally, my favortite cuts are "Tiki,""Hawaiian Hospitality" and "Hanalei Moon." If you dig jazz/swing, you might enjoy our Wholly Cats!!!, too. Totally different stuff, but same personel, plus sax. And... it's certified Kenny G free!

:)

K

Speaking of diggin' out... ugh...

Glad I don't have to do THAT anymore!!!

Pages: 1 8 replies