Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Target Tiki ( yup, even in winter time)

Pages: 1 8 replies

My wife found a Tiki Themed photo album at Target for me for a gift during this season of Saturnalia.

It pretty big, and has cutouts applied to the front and back of various drinks.

Look where the photo albums are at your Target. She found this one at the Target in Pasadena just down Colorado from Old Towne.

I ran a search for Target, but nothing came up. Please feel free to move this to the long thread on Target Tiki Items.

TG

Some Target stores have just assembled a "world market" section where the Christmas section was. Mostly, its Indian, African and Asian looking home decor, but one of the candle holders has a mask design that is strongly tiki-esque. They also had a big (but poorly made) mask, but its more African than tiki.

I got my hopes up when I saw the new Target display. Humph. Asia was 1/2 decent... and there was a cool dark wood tray table, but that's it. Now I don't mean to offend anyone, but why are mass market stores still pushing the African look? I mean, as far as a mass appeal "trend" it's long over (I mean that in the whats-hot-this-year, I'm-a-tres-chic-decorator kinda way). The India look is on thin ice itself, for that matter.

What's my point? I know several non-tiki people who are re-doing their houses tropical or south seas, but you can never find the stuff in TJ Maxx, Marshall's, etc. All I ever see are those damn giraffe masks (even got one for a birthday once 'cause it's "like that tiki stuff you like")

Fin
-Z

I did see some awesome (not to mention playable) big African drums in such a section at our local Target. Very plain wood with probably goat-skin stretched head --fairly well made and somehow very Tiki (inspiring of Exotica)!

-FB

It's the buyers, they must get a better deal on hotels in indonesia then in the south pacific TD

My theory is you never know where or when you'll find something tiki.
Even if it's one or two things mixed in with an 'Africa' theme, well that blends just fine with my Tiki/Adventureland influenced decor. Now I'll have to go see if they have any zebras!
At least we won't have as many of those cloying ceramic roosters and faux French shabby-chic things painted white to wade through.

On 2005-01-15 06:43, TIKI DAVID wrote:
It's the buyers, they must get a better deal on hotels in indonesia then in the south pacific TD

Indonesia is South Pacific. Along with the Philipines, it's one of the major wood carving centers of the world! Master artisans of their craft, traditional mask makers of Indonesia rely heavily on tourist trade and international commerce for their livlihoods and preservation of there cultural identity. Aside from the modern "home decor" style wares, Indonesia has also been responsible for numerous commercial "Tiki" carvings supplied to both European and American markets.

-FB

OPPS!

TD-- In re-reading my post it sounds kind of snotty. No snottiness intended! I come in peace, bearing tiki!
-FB

Pages: 1 8 replies