Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

in search of trader vics rum??

Pages: 1 31 replies

Hi. Does anyone know where to find trader vics rum? I think they use to carry it at Trader Joes. But, not anymore. I hate that trader joes does this. I always get hooked on something and they get rid of it. Grrrrrr.thanks, Jaime

I know what you're saying Trader J's had some fantastic Pyrat sipping rum in a hand-blown onion bottle for $19, when it was $39 anywhere else. Then they stopped...

P.S. I loved shaved >>> also.

M

I experienced the same problem at Trader Joe's. When I asked someone there about it, they explained that their stock is always changing..blahblah. He also said that I could order it directly from them if I wanted, though I have not yet tried.

Don't know where you are, but there's a few places in Chicago that carry it for under $10 per bottle.

i totally feel for you! i got hooked on that vics rum as well. you can special order it at bev mo for $14.99. it usually only takes a day for them to get special orders in. it is also available online thru hightimes and spirits.com.

just as a side note if you like the cruzan rums that are available at tj's they are also a temporary item. stock up cause in my area tj's is almost out of stock! at $7.99 a bottle it is possibly the best rum deal ever!

S

Hmmmmm, I've been looking for some of this stuff for awhile. I may have to go the ordering from Tj's or bevmo route.

Hi-Time in Costa Mesa has the Trader Vics Dark Rum - $13.

Hi-Time Wine Cellars
Address: 250 Ogle St,
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Phone: (949) 650-8463

S

Not TV rum exactly, but still TV stuff related.
While at lunch today, I spotted a liquor store that was going out of business and having a sale, so I walked on over. I bought their last 2 bottles of TV mai tai mix for $2.50 each, and a bottle of TV grenadine for $3.00. They still have a bunch of the grenadine for that price. All their booze is %30 off, they had a bottle of 'Wray and Nephew Overproof', and several bottles of Angostura if anyone is looking for those.
Also, right next door in front of the old Cal Oaks pharmacy, there was a bar that looked to be (to my untrained eye) from the early sixties, and it looks as if it was being given away. The bar was about 4 ft. wide, and while not perfect, was in pretty good shape.
This is in Pasadena CA, at the corner of Fair Oaks and California if anyone is interested.

Hmmm... are you trying to hint for someone to open a tiki bar????? Sounds like a good idea to me(for someone else to open one).

Has anyone tried the Whalers dark rum from Trader Joes? I just bought it today but have'nt tasted it yet. Ugghh, that trader vics rum was sooooooo goooood. I just emailed someone at TV's to see if they sell it. I did'nt see it on their website.

Hey Shaved,
last I checked the Trader Joes in burbank still carries Trader Vics rum, and Vendome always has it in stock. Hope this helps. If you are not familiar with Vendome, it is on the corner of Riverside and Cahuenga in the Toluca Lake area. Go for a visit, but dont blame me if you can't leave without picking up more than you went for.

I too have been saddened by the diasppearance of TV's rum from TJ's. I talked to the stores, they don't have it in their ordering books anymore. Then I talked to corporate TJ's and they were also unable to help. After that I talked to corporate TV's to find out who in the Santa Barbara / Ventura Ca area had it.... still no luck.

So... in desparation I bought a bottle of the Whalers Rum at TJ's as a substitute (because I was detoxing at this point) and it was really damn good. I always thought that the bottle was that nearly black color... it's the rum!!! The glass is clear. Anywho, good stuff, and at that price it is certainly a good buy. Now I had just better stock up on it before they no longer carry it either. :wink:

-T.J.

H

For some reason (possibly an earlier post) I am under the impression that the Whalers Rum at TJ's and the TV dark rum come from the same place. Additionally they may be the same rum, just in different bottles.

Can anyone confirm this one way or the other?

S

I've had both the Whaler's and the TV rum, and they taste different to me.

WOW!!! That is some really dark rum. I just looked at my bottle and tipped it and the bottle is clear. So what is the difference between dark and light and clear rum? I just cant get my mind of that TV rum.
I have been emailing TV's , but no response yet on where to find it or if they sell it. I am close to burbank though, so I guess I could drive out there. I was just hopeing to have it for new years. Can anyone suggest a good light rum? thanks, Jaime

N

vendomes on chauenga (sp?) and riverside they have all kinds of TV stuff, including the gernadine, yummmm. I bought the dark and the mai tai special rum, they are both very good and priced fair.

[ Edited by: net-tiki on 2004-12-28 20:42 ]

I know this is a bit off topic, but I have a bottle of Trader Vic's Spiced Rum that I think tastes like the inside of a gym shoe. Just awful.

S

I'll trade you for some Ouzo :D

Ouzo, huh? I'm not sure that would be much better. :lol:

Could you use that instead of Pernod?

On 2004-12-28 15:55, Hakalugi wrote:
For some reason (possibly an earlier post) I am under the impression that the Whalers Rum at TJ's and the TV dark rum come from the same place. Additionally they may be the same rum, just in different bottles.

Can anyone confirm this one way or the other?

hakalugi~ you are right this has been discussed before. i brought up the fact that it is the same distillery. however i found out that it is the same company but distilled in different places. tv is distilled in the west indies and whalers somewhere else. another TCer has both and after a taste test determined that they are only similar in color.

one other comment~ the pyrat xo is also distilled in the west indies and has a full flavor that is WAY better than the TV dark. if price is not a problem get it instead!

On 2004-12-29 10:15, finkdaddy wrote:
I know this is a bit off topic, but I have a bottle of Trader Vic's Spiced Rum that I think tastes like the inside of a gym shoe. Just awful.

Hi all,
I can appreciate the search for rums -- always a battle with distributors, liquor stores, etc. In Minnesota, I struggle to find 151 Lemon Hart Demerara, and always buy as many as I can when I do see it on the shelves.

But I have to say, I'm surprised by the responses to Vic's rum. Maybe its just me, but I think most of Vic's rum is terrible -- or at least was when I bought a few bottles a couple of years ago. Most of mine tastes like a gym shoe too! I still have a couple of bottles I still need to "hide" in a party punch or something to use up. Has there been a big improvement in Vic's rums in the last year? I'd be interested in what people think.

Aloha

There are only two kinds that I am fully aware of.. the amber and the really dark "mai tai" rum. The amber was ok, nothing special, rather diasapointing. The dark rum however is extremely aromatic, with a sweet and full bodied flavour, and a dark color that can only be matched by used motor oil (ok, maybe not the best sounding comparison but color wise it is accurate).

How many other Trader Vic's alcoholic products are out there?

-T.J.

K

I have purchased Trader Vic's rum from Beverages & More. I have to special order it and its like pulling teeth as B&M doesn't like to work with the distributor.

Trader Vic's rum is distributed in California by Conquistador Distributors at(650)343-4159.

I personally enjoy the Mai-Tai and Dark rums.

They produce about 6 different rums.

M

Traveling through Indian Rocks beach today. Saw a liquor store that looked like it had been around awhile. I stopped by to see if they had any interesting hard to find rums etc.... Apparently one of the new items they stock is the big jug of Trader Vics "Select Reserve" Silver Rum. $17 bucks. Bought one, but haven't tried it yet.

[ Edited by: Tonga Tiki 2008-11-13 18:18 ]

Kappy's Liquors in Sudbury, Mass has it!

With all of the OLCC restrictions here in Oregon, I was surprised to see TV's rums on the selves last night when Drew and I went to the liquor store to stock the tiki supplies. They had the light, dark, and coffee liqueur. We are already very happy with the rums we use, so we decided to give the liqueur a shot. Haven't tried it, yet.

A

The BevMo in Mission Valley, San Diego always has a few bottles of the Trader Vic dark rum. I'm surprised that different BevMos carry different stock.

"I am Lono!" -- Hale Ka'a Tiki Lounge

[ Edited by: arriano 2008-11-16 09:15 ]

The Shaws in the back bay boston has a lot of them - the both the 750ml and 1.75L light & golden, 750 ml dark rum, coconut & pineapple flavored, also macadamia, and coffee flavored liquors too. The rare mass. grocer who sells liquor!

[ Edited by: carolineno 2009-06-05 18:02 ]

We've got the TV's dark rum here at BevMo. It's a regular item and seems to sell well.

:drink:
Tacky

M

I used to purchase the TV dark and spiced rums fairly frequently when they were available in my market. I thought they were nothing special, but fine for party punches, and mixing cocktails for undiscerning houseguests that I didn't want to waste better rums on.

I never got any sort of "gym shoe" flavor from the spiced version though. Not sure what's up with that, but considering the odd habit that TV has of totally ruining successful products, like their drink syrups, it wouldn't surprise me if they tinkered with the recipe at some point.

Weblog: Eye of the Goof

[ Edited by: MrBaliHai 2009-06-06 06:32 ]

A

If anyone in So Cal is having trouble finding them, I noticed the other day that Ralph's supermarkets are carrying Trader Vic's rums.

if I were you I would not use Trader Vics rum anymore.
I have a sneeky suspicion its not 100% rum, like another popular rum.
very sad in my book.
:(

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Pages: 1 31 replies