Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Xmas cd I got..

Pages: 1 5 replies

My g/f gave me a cd called Big Hawaiian Luau for Xmas and I have to say that it's a pretty cool little piece of work.Especially since it was found at a dollar store.
It has 10 tracks in a very traditional sounding styyle by a group called The Polynesians...
1 Hawaiian Wedding Song
2. At the Barefoot Bar
3. Lovely Hula Hands
4. Tomi Tomi
5. Whispering Sea
6. Loch Lomond
7. To you Sweetheart aloha
8. Beauty Hula
9. Pulupe
10. Kalua

I really like it and it's quite a departure from my normally more hard rocking fare. But then expanding into the exotica realm is my ongoing adventure of choice now anyhow.
Anybody know anything else about this group or am I going to be laughed at for mentioning a cd on the LaserLight label to begin with?

Let me ammend the label info
Delta Entertainment Corporation is the actual label that released this.

[ Edited by: AlmostHuman on 2004-12-27 15:56 ]

AlmostHuman, although this doesn't fall into the Tiki Music catagory per se, my sister-in-law from Dallas gave me a Vince Vance & the Valiants CD for Xmas. Are these guys big down there...or is she just f$#kn' w/ me?

V

She found you some good music my friend. The Polynesians were a group of hawaiian musicians who released a number of LP's in the late fifties/sixties on Crown records. The band featured Harry Baty and Sam Kaapuni (with other depending on album).

Actually, I think that the cd you have is actually (or at least features most tracks from) this record :

I kinda dig the scottish vibe on the Loch Lomond track.

Aloha,

Vic

Listen to Vegas Vic's Tiki Lounge
Visit Vic's Site

[ Edited by: vegasvic on 2004-12-27 18:35 ]

Thanx for the info...She did real good and we are both doing a Snoopy dance with all the happy thats bursting forth.
As for Vince Vance...They have been a medium sized name on the club/retro circuit for years. Right up there with the Fabulous Thunderbirds. Not bad at all and I can see how it could touch on our kinda stuff. In vibe anyhow...

On 2004-12-27 15:50, AlmostHuman wrote:
6. Loch Lomond

Loch Lomond ?!!! (Incredibly cold and miserable lake in Scotland) A Hawaiian band singing about Loch Lomond......the mind boggles....

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2005-01-13 14:14 ]

Just saw this thread, and had to chime in about Vince Vance and the Valiants. Didn't they have a big novelty hit back during the Iranian hostage crisis called "Bomb Iran," to the tune of "Barbara Ann"? I've got the 45 somewhere in my basement.

Pages: 1 5 replies