Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Bugs

Pages: 1 5 replies

O

I just got some woods that has been freshly cut (last 2 months or so) and noticed it has a lot of bug (looks like some kind of boring beetle). I have the wood separate form my other wood and was wondering if anyone has any good tricks to kill the bugs. The wood itself is good the bug holes are very small and add to the look of the wood. I was thinking of maybe using a oil stain on the wood and then wrapping it in saran (sp) wrap to kill them... anyone have any ideas or tricks they can share

Mahalo

Greg
PS the woods has be de barked

Aloha,
Buggy wood should generally be passed up. But if you like the look of it...

As far as boring bugs are concerned, I don't know specifics, but for terimites I've used these three methods successfully:

1. If you see someone is getting their house tented and bug bombed near you, pay the tenters like $50 and ask if you can put your wood inside the house. Sometimes they let you, sometimes they don't. But this way wors the best and is the quickest

2. wrap the wood up in an airtight (as possible) bag and place an open jar of mineral spirits or terpintine type liquid and leave it untouched for about 6 months.

3. IF the bugs arn't too deep (like if you see them enter the wood, or they enter within a short amount of time after you got the wood) those spot treatment insectisides work well. Just make sure to apply the treatment several times a day for several days. And check to make sure there is no dander, or deepening of the hole.

As a rule now, though, I pass up any potentially buggy wood, even exotic woods. It's not worth the trouble.

Hope this helped, and let us know how it goes.

"Hey, at least I'm housebroken."

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2004-12-27 20:16 ]

B

If you catch it early, debarking will do the trick Usually the bug lays the eggs in the bark and the young grubbs live in the soft nutritious layer there until they get large enough to dive into the wood itself. By this time they can be pretty large and impossible to totally get rid of. When you remove the bark, you shoul find plenty of grubb pathways and it is easy to tell if they have gotten large enough to get into the logs interior.
I have tried many different bug poisons, but you Never know if they work. Those grubs can eventually bore through the carving into the ground or through the tabletop where the piece is sitting. Not something you want to deal with years down the road.
Hope this helps

I actually stuck a 2 foot tiki in my garage freezer and killed those little devils.

B

I have heard more ideas such as using bug bombs which may work, just be careful.
Also most exterminating companies have a service to de bug furniture. They have rooms where they load items and then gas them like they do with the termite tents. That shouldne cost much and would probably clean the pests out the best.

You can spray it with bug poison yourself. Just go to the garden store and get stuff that kills beetles and grubs in lawns. They have it and it works..

I'll holler if I can think of anything else.

MR

For palms or fiberous woods i have sat them in a large 55 gallon plastic barrel and poured bug killer over them. The poison pools up at the bottom and will wick its way back up into the wood.

Pages: 1 5 replies