Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

What's up with those Captain Morgan TV ads??

Pages: 1 17 replies

What the hell?!? OK, I like Captain Morgan Spiced Rum, I do, but those commercials make me wanna empty my bottles into the toilet and never buy it again. You've seen 'em, the ones where everybody lifts their leg like they're pissing on a fire hydrant. But we're supposed to think there's an "imaginary rum barrel" their foot rests upon...not to make this another "hate and sucks" topic, but I HATE it and it SUCKS!! So there!

PS I wasn't sure if I should post this on the Bilge Forum 'cause I'm quite liquored up (on Pink Martini's, NOT Captain Morgan) but it is kinda Beyond Tiki, it's such a blurry line. So ta speak.(what about a "Beyond Bilge" forum?)

THANK YOU!! I've been waiting for someone to mention those idiotic ads.

Is spiced rum used in any legitimate tiki drinks?

I think they are brilliant 'cause the ametuer drunks and frat boyz will start imitating this pose while intoxicated, fall over and knock themselves out. Call it thinnin' the herd...

H

On 2004-12-28 00:33, cynfulcynner wrote:

THANK YOU!! I've been waiting for someone to mention those idiotic ads.

Is spiced rum used in any legitimate tiki drinks?

None whatsoever.

To me, Captain Morgan rum is like a tiki with one of those bad 80's "carnival" paint jobs.

I know this is a bit off topic, but I have a bottle of Trader Vic's Spiced Rum that I think tastes like the inside of a gym shoe. Just awful.

S

I'll trade ya for a bottle of Ouzo :D

I was a bit aroused by the unlikely "best-friends mother" featured in one of the commercials. I like spiced rum in limited quantities -- I've actually made a modified Zombie with Sailor Jerry's. Of all available spiced rums, Cap'n Morgan's isn't my first choice but i don't mind the commercials.

I caught my one-year-old in the midst of the "Stance" in question. I asked if he had a little Captain in'm to which he replied, "Addun-Da!"(?)
-FB

ARRRRRRR! I ain't no advertisin' executive or nothin' but I think a much better Capt'n Morgan's Spiced Rum comercial woulda been the pirates from the D-land "Pirates of the Carribean" ride chasin' the wench arund in a circle but she's got a bottle of Capt'n Morgan's in'er hand & THAT's what the pirates are after and not her...er...whatever everybody thinks they're after. All those who're with me on this say "Aye Aye" er I'll see ya in Davey Jone's locker! ARRRRRRR

On 2004-12-27 23:22, tikitortured wrote:
What the hell?!? OK, I like Captain Morgan Spiced Rum, I do, but those commercials make me wanna empty my bottles into the toilet and never buy it again. You've seen 'em, the ones where everybody lifts their leg like they're pissing on a fire hydrant. But we're supposed to think there's an "imaginary rum barrel" their foot rests upon...not to make this another "hate and sucks" topic, but I HATE it and it SUCKS!! So there!

I think you're all gonna have to take this up with the original "Captain" Crazy.........

Being one of those 'evil advertising exectuives' myself, I wish I had seen these offedning ads so I could comment! I guess they only run in the US. Sound horrid. But so horrid they are funny, perhaps?

I think "funny" is what the ad geeks were going for but failed miserably. Maybe a third grader would get a chuckle or two out of it, but not me, and I'm REALLY immature at times (just look at some of my posts!). For those of you that DO like spiced rum, try REDRUM, it adds a little "sumthin' sumthin'" to yer Mai-Tai's (check out http://www.redrum.com ).
And while we're talking about it, why are ALL the hard alcohol commercials so lame? C'mon people, start buying their products so they can afford to make a good commercial or two! (Maybe when cigarette commercials become legal again they'll do a better job at seducing our youth into partaking in the many vices of life).

I meant Voodoo spiced rum, but Redrum is good in a Mai-Tai too.

On 2004-12-28 22:02, tikifish wrote:
Being one of those 'evil advertising exectuives' myself, I wish I had seen these offedning ads so I could comment! I guess they only run in the US. Sound horrid. But so horrid they are funny, perhaps?

Here's the original label

here's a small picture from an ad (sorry I couldn't find a bigger one)

The premise is once you "get a little Captain in ya" you strike a pose...

F
foamy posted on Fri, Dec 31, 2004 7:26 AM

I'll take a bottle of Mount Gay any time. I don't know what people use Captain Morgans for. And, yes, those commercials are the pits. I really liked that "thinning the herd" comment. Right on the money.

Does anyone know exactly what spices are found in a bottle of spiced rum? :D

T

Yes, those commercials do indeed suck, as does their rum. What's painful about them is you can practically hear the ad execs pitching the idea that people (and by "people" I mean drunk frat boys) will actually want to imitate the move, which just looks totally lame.

Incidentally, I saw a life size fiberglass display of the CM pirate, foot on the barrel and all, at an office chair store in San Lorenzo, Ca. Wished I had my camera - it was actually pretty cool in and of itself. Or at least it was before this ad campaign.

"Wake up with the Captain!"

http://media.putfile.com/captainmorgan

Pages: 1 17 replies