Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Palm Springs

Pages: 1 6 replies

This is an event sponsored by the Palm Springs Preservation Foundation (not Pete Moruzzi's PS Modern Commitee). They did the Alexander weekend (modern architect in PS) last year which was very nice. I don't know much about it other than that I am signing my book there. This is a FUNDRAISER, obviously:

Desert Polynesia:
A Tiki Weekend in Palm Springs
Schedule of Events

Friday, November 1, 2002
5pm-7pm Toucan’s – A Tiki Lounge (North Palm Canyon and Via Escuela)
Registration and Reception
Memberships, book signings
No host bar

7pm-9pm Tiki "First Friday" in association with the Bureau of Tourism and the North Palm Canyon Merchants

Saturday, November 2, 2002
2pm-4pm Architectural Tours including the
Restoration Tour of Wexler- Harrison designed
Royal Hawaiian Estates 1961
Twin Palms, Palm Springs ………………….$20.00

4pm-7pm Luau Reception at Caliente Tropics
Lectures, slide show, music, performances
Book signings and more !! ……………………$45.00

Sunday, November 3, 2002
1pm - 4pm Polynesia Film Festival, Camelot Theater
Palm Springs
Reception and screenings of:
"Hawaiian Eye" and "Hawaii Five-O"
with surprise celebrity guests ……….. $15.00

Tribute Journal Desert Polynesia: A Tiki Weekend in Palm Springs
Includes self-guided architecture tour …………………. $15.00

Commemorative T-Shirt limited edition of the Tiki Weekend……………. $12.00

Entire weekend Package Price includes Tribute Journal, commemorative
T-Shirt and one $25.00 year membership to
Palm Springs Preservation Foundation ………………………………… .. $80.00

Website information: http://www.pspf.net or Telephone: 760-837-7117

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2002-10-04 11:28 ]

Any TC members going to this?

SugarCaddyDaddy

I did not know what was going on, but I happen to have 3 rooms booked for my mothers birthday weekend at the same time.
Just the luck of the TIKI.

TBC

Hey Baxdog,
Take a trip up the hill & "C"us if Ya get a chance (Yes Bring Mom Too!)
If Yer Still Talking to us!?!
CC

BigBro~

It's great to hear that Trader Vic's is coming back. I was hoping to get a more in-depth report of the rest of the weekend, so...

Just a few questions:
~Were there any hidden Tiki artists at the "First Friday" event that we have not heard of yet?

~Did you get to tour the Royal Hawaiian Estates? I remember seeing a post of an available townhome/condo for sale recently. Are there more "Poly-Architect" residential areas other than at the Royal Hawaiian?

~Who were the musical performers?

~Who were the "surprise celebrity guests" at the reception & screening of Hawaiian Eye & Hawaii Five-O?

This inquiring mind would like to know.
Thanks.

SugarCaddyDaddy

This Daddy's Caddy & The Tiki Transporter

[ Edited by: SugarCaddydaddy on 2002-11-08 10:37 ]

K

Sven - It was great to see you last weekend in PS. And we're glad you survived the Polynesian Weekend. The Palm Springs Preservation Foundation put out a very cool booklet for the weekend. Shag did the cover including the Aerial Tram, with all of the tramites in Aloha garb and a rendidtion of Caliente Tropics. Very cool! We also stopped by Toucan's on the way into town. Very cool lounge, however we didn't fit in well with the kids and it being Gay Pride Weekend and all. So what have you decided to do with your new Tiki drum? We stayed at Caliente Tropics for the weekend and it was great! Please encourage everyone to tell their friends and families to spend the weekend there. The rates are excellent (mention you are a returning guest and they get better). Travel is slow right now, don't forget to support your favorite Tiki Hotel.

On 2002-11-08 10:05, sugarcaddydaddy wrote:
BigBro~

It's great to hear that Trader Vic's is coming back. I was hoping to get a more in-depth report of the rest of the weekend, so...

Just a few questions:
~Were there any hidden Tiki artists at the "First Friday" event that we have not heard of yet?

None, just stores in town putting out contempo Tiki stuff. Kukuinut got a nice, well carved new Soap-on-a-rope Tiki, (from "Bubbletown"?, I think)

~Did you get to tour the Royal Hawaiian Estates? I remember seeing a post of an available townhome/condo for sale recently. Are there more "Poly-Architect" residential areas other than at the Royal Hawaiian?

The tour was cool, because we got to go inside two of the units, one completely kept unaltered 70s Palm Springs PAD style, down to the plastic flowers.
No other place as Tiki Modern as that complex in Palm Springs.

~Who were the musical performers?

Errr, there were none.

~Who were the "surprise celebrity guests" at the reception & screening of Hawaiian Eye & Hawaii Five-O?

Dano, I think...

I left town earlier to avoid weekend rush hour. It was a nice event, but a little under organized/advertized...

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2002-11-09 14:19 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies