Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

How badly do you want to see my tiki pendant?

Pages: 1 3 replies

E

I actually don't own that many tiki pendants (hard to believe, I know)! I wanted a 14k tiki when I was in Bora Bora and didn't buy it and regretted it ever since. So this time I was once again on the lookout for a tiki pendant while in Hawaii.

On Tuesday, December 7th, we headed out early to see the volcanoes at Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island. On the drive towards Hilo in a little town called Captain Cook I spotted this little shop and wrote down the mile marker so that we could stop off on the way back:

Later we remembered to check it out and they did have some carved tiki statues. I started talking with the owners about tikis and spotted a couple of tiki pendants in a case.

He was wearing a giant tiki (it must have been 3" long) and it was carved out of black coral. I found out that his was one of four pendants that came out of one piece of coral that was carved by a local artist. (I didn't get the artist's name, darn it.)

He said his tiki was worth $450 (but he worked off part of it in trade). I ended up getting a tiny tiki (shown in actual size and enlarged for detail):

He has a big, fat head that I like and is a bit funky looking.

So I guess this means that I have a tiki connection with the guy who owns the other black coral tiki pendant since it came from the same piece. He was glad that the tiki pendant was going to a tiki person and was aware of Tiki Central. He started showing me some of his collection on his computer but we eventually had to get going because we had a cruise ship to catch.

Since he came from Captain Cook he will have to be my own personal travel/explorer tiki... :)

[ Edited by: exoticat on 2004-12-28 19:26 ]

I waNT FO to see yo tit's

T

You first Bong. Show us your nubbins.

E

I had to read the Tiki Bong remark about six times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. ha ha

This must be one of those drunken posts I hear about...

Pages: 1 3 replies