Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Bringing Havana Club to the US

Pages: 1 22 replies

T

I know it's illegal for you cats to buy Cuban rum in the US, but is it illegal for me to bring some down as a gift? I am assuming so, but just checking.

Yes, it is illegal for you to bring it into the country. Of course, you could try and sneak it though and claim ignorance if you are caught.

V

Last time I came to the states, I brought some cuban cigars, and didn't have any troubles. You could try.

I brought some Havana Club back from the duty free shop in Chile last month.

But I suppose that having it confiscated IS possible...

But they didn't even ask or look at what I had in my duty-free shop bag.

I could have had ten pounds of coke and an atom bomb in there and it would have been no problem.

Are you flying or driving?

I have driven across thee US/Canada border like 30 times, and have been searched twice. All the other times they just waved me through. IF you are searched, and IF you don't have more than 3 or 4 bottles, I don't think they'll notice or care.

Iorana!

JT

http://www.tydirium.net
Tiki Bar Review Pages / Tiki Road Trip / Left Orbit Temple

[ Edited by: tikibars on 2004-12-30 11:14 ]

Actually, its not illegal to bring cuban cigars into the US for personal use. There is a limit on how many you can bring though, I don't know how many it is. I found this out at 4AM one morning when coming from Niagara Falls back into NY.

I have been dying to get my hands (and liver) on somem good Cuban rum. I live in California, so Mexico is a hop skip and a jump away, but I don't quite trust what I get doen there.

I have seen a couple different outfits that will ship Absinthe to the US (which is also technically illegal, although I haven't tried them yet) but so far I've seen none that will do this with Cuban rum. Does anyone know of any?

-T.J.

M

Don't worry about buying Cuban Rum in Mexico. The bottles should be sealed and stamped with Cuba's export sticker. I've never seen it looking dodgy down there. I brought several bottles back from Mexico and one from the UK with no trouble. I also blind taste-tested the UK and Mexico Havana Club 7 yr to double check and they were identical. (Unless the UK stuff was also a forgery, but I HIGHLY doubt that, especially since I bought it at Fortnum & Mason.)

Buying Cuban cigars in Mexico is a whole other story. Lots of fakes out there. Go to a reputable looking store. They're not that cheap, but it's worth it. When I bring Cuban cigars back to the US, I simply remove all the packaging and labels and put them in a ziplock bag, with a mini humidifier. When I was searched at Customs and they found the bag, I just said they were from the Dominican Republic. What the fuck do they know? It's not like they're going to take one out, sniff it, and say, "Ahhh..this comes from the south end of the Vuelta Abajo. You're busted!"

M

Also, you could try pouring the Havana Club into non offensive bottles of other rum, but Customs is wary of opened bottles of booze, so it would have to look sealed.

Tonnikan Jinn,
Its not a problem at all. My wife and I go down there all the time and bring back some Havana Club. The bottles are sealed. You have to be careful of prices though. Some liquor stores mark it way up, while others have it at reasonable prices. I highly recommend sprining for the 7-year old dark rum VERY TASTEY!!!

S

Yes, any Cuban stuff in quantities for personal use is okay. More than a box of cigars might get you in trouble. A few bottles of rum is not a problem.

T

Ah thats good. I would be flying so I know it would be searched. Driving across is no problem, they have our license on file and we must be flagged as as 'decent folks' cause they just wave us through, but flying is another matter. Thanks for the advice!

DZ

I've never had any problem bringing Havana Club back from the UK. Just be sure to pack it well in your checked bag so it doesn't break.

J
JTD posted on Sat, Jan 1, 2005 2:53 PM

Digitiki,
What's reasonable? $10 U.S.? I'm going to be in Monterrey later this month. I'd hate to come back empty-handed.

JTD

On 2005-01-01 14:53, JTD wrote:
Digitiki,
What's reasonable? $10 U.S.? I'm going to be in Monterrey later this month. I'd hate to come back empty-handed.

JTD

I paid approximately $16.00 for a bottle at the Cancun airport.

Had to go to 4 different duty free stores to find it.

On 2004-12-30 12:54, Digitiki wrote:
Tonnikan Jinn,

I highly recommend sprining for the 7-year old dark rum VERY TASTEY!!!

I liked the Silver (Blanca) myself. It tasted smoother.

However, the 7 year is not bad. Somewhat of a carmel-like finish.

I brought back a bottle of Ron Legendario from Spain a few weeks back and it has a little Cuban flag attached!

To be honest, I can't see it being a problem bringing it into the States, unless you take a few bottles. Plead ignorance and the most that'll happen is that the bottle will get confiscated. The chances of getting stopped are slim enough anyway as sniffer dogs tend to be sniffing for other things...

Trader Woody

I recently took some into the US without any problems.

Go for the Dark Havana rum (7 year or reserve), killer in a Mai Tai.

J
JTD posted on Thu, Jan 27, 2005 7:26 AM

Just back from Monterrey. At the duty-free store at the airport, $US prices were as follows:
7 y.o. dark - $15.25, aged amber $9.50, white $7.50. Three bottles is the limit according to the woman at the duty-free store. One of each, maybe. I did not see Customs in Houston checking folks small carry-on duty-free bags/boxes. I think they have bigger fish to fry.

I purchased some eBay spacials; Havana Club nips, so I could get a taste of the product before I go and buy a few bottles in canada -

My first impressions of the Silver (anejo blanco) were that it had a burning aftertaste - though it did have a vanilla overtone to it, which made me forget about the burn. But my question would be, what is the ultimate drink to mix the Anejo Blanco in that does it the ultimate justice? I'm a fan of the Mojito; that one seems to be typical. But I also like my drinks on the rocks; I'm here right now enjoying my Havana Club with Coke but that is a piss poor drink to waste my rum in...

I have found personally, aside from Havana Club, my favorite rum so far would be Appleton Estate's 12-yr - excellent smoothness and wonderful aftertaste.

I grabbed a bottle of Havana Club 7 year and brought it home from Jamaica. Also got a bottle of the regular for my friend. We both got them home with no issues. The 7 year is $30 at all the duty free stores there and the regular is $20.

I actually bought one 7 year on the way out of the airport just to drink as well. We finished it by the next day. I have to say it is really good stuff! Definitely a high end rum on the cheaper side. Sadly, illegal to bring anything from Cuba to the US. If anyone doesn't want their bottle, send it to me :)

Also got a couple Cuban cigars and some Scotch Bonnet peppers from a local farmers market there. No problems getting those through customs either. Fruits and veggies are even a bigger no no than Cuban items. But I grow peppers (as some of you know) and I want the most authentic seeds for my garden.

Here is a quick tip for you about the rum. I was worried that I would have to check my bag if I had rum, so I was worried about it becoming an $80 bottle with the added checked baggage fees. So I got it at the airport and kept it in my backpack until we got to the US. When you get back, they make you take your luggage and recheck it. So I simply carried on the rum for the first leg of the journey. When I got to the US, I threw it into my suitcase and checked it. They are not set up there to take payments, so they were forced to check it for free. It was a little hassle checking it but only took a few minutes and it was sure worth the effort!

As for making drinks with it, we just drank it out of the bottle. But it would be great in a Mai Tai. I would not use it in a Mojito. I would like it in a rum and Coke, but it is too tough to come by (I only drink Mexican Coke).

I will be drinking it straight at my bar. Maybe I will try it once in a Mai Tai.

L

Never Buy Cigars in Mexico. 95% of they time they are fake!!!

-Longboard

hopefully they at least won't be mexican cigars...

Pages: 1 22 replies